Fork Stanchion recall?

It’s a shame Pidcock’s wouldn’t put me on a waiting list like other dealers are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on a waiting list and I'm about number 200. Could be weeks before I'm called to get there retro.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Finally had a set of Conti Road Attack 3's fitted and had the forks checked.... I'm told its on the "list" to be done. Once I'd left the dealership I noticed that the black caps/covers at the top are missing. Now, I'm not at all tech minded so my SFQ is... "Is this an issue whilst waiting for the modification or is it just a cosmetic thing?"
Thanks for your help!

No this isn't a cosmetic thing bud, my Triple Black came out of my dealer in Aberdeen minus the rubber covers as well and now the tops of both fork stanchions are going rusty Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Basically it is a lazy Technician cutting them off because he/she (have to PC lol) can't be bothered rolling the covers down to measure the gaps.

Another thing that everyone needs to be aware of is that BMW Germany have changed the stanchion gap measurement from 0.2mm to 0.1mm so anything over and including 0.1mm means new forks.

Another thing that everyone needs to be aware of is that BMW Germany have changed the stanchion gap measurement from 0.2mm to 0.1mm so anything over and including 0.1mm means new forks.

Is this correct? Mine were measured to 0,15 last week and I got only bushings on them, yesterday.

No this isn't a cosmetic thing bud, my Triple Black came out of my dealer in Aberdeen minus the rubber covers as well and now the tops of both fork stanchions are going rusty Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Basically it is a lazy Technician cutting them off because he/she (have to PC lol) can't be bothered rolling the covers down to measure the gaps.
Thanks Fagin... Something I might have to take up later then as I own the bike and its hopefully a keeper...

Once I'd left the dealership I noticed that the black caps/covers at the top are missing. Now, I'm not at all tech minded so my SFQ is... "Is this an issue whilst waiting for the modification or is it just a cosmetic thing?"
Thanks for your help!

Basically it is a lazy Technician cutting them off because he/she (have to PC lol) can't be bothered rolling the covers down to measure the gaps.

When mine had the check I was told that they'd be cutting the rubber sleeves off as per the instructions from BMW to do so on all the bikes they check.

Frankly, I think it is far easier to roll down the rubber sleeves, as I'd been doing regularly prior to the dealer check, than to cut them off so I really don't see the lazy tech idea.

Thanks for your input Sea Dog....I'll keep my powder dry for the time being if that's the case. It certainly looks sh1te...

Told by the dealer today that there are over 90,000 sleeves on back order. Imagine that BMW are doing this in-house to reduce costs. That's what I would do for sure. A couple of £80k milling machines/lathes sounds like a drop in the ocean compared to millioons this will cost them. As has been said, why issue a recall notice when you don't have the parts? Just going through meaningless motions.

Told by the dealer today that there are over 90,000 sleeves on back order. Imagine that BMW are doing this in-house to reduce costs. That's what I would do for sure. A couple of £80k milling machines/lathes sounds like a drop in the ocean compared to millioons this will cost them. As has been said, why issue a recall notice when you don't have the parts? Just going through meaningless motions.

Sounds like a long job
It'll take ages
Many will have sold their awesome steeds before the work is done

Is this correct? Mine were measured to 0,15 last week and I got only bushings on them, yesterday.

I got this information from the dealer in Norwich and he said that it hadn't long been issued. Maybe your bike was checked before the new tolerances were issued?

I got this information from the dealer in Norwich and he said that it hadn't long been issued. Maybe your bike was checked before the new tolerances were issued?

It was checked on the 2nd of Oct. and serviced on the 9th.

Dealer response when I tried to arrange appointment...

We have very limited stock of the fork bushes, we are getting around 3 bushes per week, only enough to complete 1.5 bikes.

I will be in touch when we have a more plentiful supply.

If in the meantime you would like us to check your forks please contact me.

was told by dealer each bike done on case by case basis...i said ive done lots of trails and be doing more.
so they got it done,tbh had not no issues before as checked gap,all good.
but nice to know its sorted now

How are we getting on with this issue? Are BMW skirting around it? Starting to get pretty fed up with the lack of availability, which is frankly ridiculous. Seems dealers are just checking the gap and if not present they're not fitting the bushes - correct?? If that's the case they're playing fast and loose with lives in my view. Even the EICMA bikes didn't have the parts fitted. :blast

How are we getting on with this issue? Are BMW skirting around it? Starting to get pretty fed up with the lack of availability, which is frankly ridiculous. Seems dealers are just checking the gap and if not present they're not fitting the bushes - correct?? If that's the case they're playing fast and loose with lives in my view. Even the EICMA bikes didn't have the parts fitted. :blast
Mine still not done.... No contact/updates from 2 main dealers ...

Sent from my London Taxi

Here's my very recent experience. My local dealer, Ocean BMW, (incidentally not the supplier of my bike) rang me on Monday this week to inform me they had parts and asked me if I'd like to book it in. They had checked my forks a while back and found them to be clear of the fault, no gaps, but promised to contact me when the parts were available. As I'm temporarily immobile, they then picked my bike up from my home yesterday evening and delivered it back to me this afternoon, Wednesday, completed. Frankly, I'm rather impressed!

Hi seadog, when did you first go to ocean for a check? Mine was first checked in July, then again a fortnight ago, was told I was 60th on list !!!?

Back
Top Bottom