Taking a chain (security) on tour

As with most things.........lot's of different opinions on what works best.

I guess it's what you personally feel comfortable with. For me it's the chain on the seat as in JohnnyBoxer's ( and many thanks for photos).

Mainly because it looks safe enough and I know I will use the chain.

I have a disc lock for short stops, but for overnight I just feel better with the chain even though I know it's not foolproof.

That is my take on it too, chain bike every time if the bike isn't garaged

Many folk don't even use the hotel garage, even if available or offered ............which surprises me

Out of sight, out of mind is the old adage - so I always garage, if possible.........no matter how tired I am

Plus if it's raining the bike and accessories stay dry too

As with most things.........lot's of different opinions on what works best. I guess it's what you personally feel comfortable with. For me it's the chain on the seat as in JohnnyBoxer's ( and many thanks for photos). Mainly because it looks safe enough and I know I will use the chain. I have a disc lock for short stops, but for overnight I just feel better with the chain even though I know it's not foolproof.

If you are comfy your bike is locked up and safe, you will sleep better, otherwise slightest noise and you will be looking out of the window, and knackered next day, however not sure what bike you have but you also have the option of Cymarcs toolbox on the pillion seat for LC,s

https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/r1200gsa-lc-pillion-seat-clip-onoff-utility-box-274-p.asp

https://i.postimg.cc/QxHqZjHW/toolbox.png

A chain is a heavy commitment. An decent alarmed disc-lock would be my preference.

If two of you are travelling - chop the long chain in two, and carry two padlocks ......

(Half a chain and a padlock each)

Chain the bikes together overnight.

Good call. But if traveling alone, I'd like to have the means to secure my bike to something. My Abus Granit chain & padlock went in the bottom of one pannier (about as good as it gets from a CoG perspective) - lift out one bag and chain is easy to get at.

I have been leaving my bikes all over Europe for years with nothing more then the steering lock...and for the last 5 years since the steering lock on my Harley broke.... nothing..... .. bikes have always been there in the morning.

Perhaps I’m lucky.....

And perhaps you'll continue to be lucky. :thumb2

Never used a lock anywhere in Europe and left my bike on the street and in open car parks. Only time I ever feel I should lock it like Fort Knox is in England. Always have more than 5 KG in the top box, also exceed the rated speed limit with the top box on. I take a lot of figures with a pinch of salt. My Africa Twin has a total carrying capacity of 195 KG. being fat with riding gear I am around 115 KG leaving 80 KG for luggage and a passenger. So by the time you take off the weight of a top box and panniers together with the mounting hardware (say 20 KG all up) leaves you with 60 KG for clothes, tools, a lock and a passenger. So if your passenger doesn't mind riding in just a helmet and thong and you take no clothes you will be OK, otherwise you have to exceed manufactures weight limits.

Maybe try travelling to less dodgy places. That’s what I do, and it works.

Never used a lock anywhere in Europe and left my bike on the street and in open car parks.

Only time I ever feel I should lock it like Fort Knox is in England.

You don't, but I do

Been away with 2 other riders who have come down for breakfast and found that their bikes have been nicked overnight, on various trips over the last 25 years.

1 was in rural Spain in the Picos and the other in rural France

Theft abroad is becoming more rife

Been away with 2 other riders who have come down for breakfast and found that their bikes have been nicked overnight, on various trips over the last 25 years.

Just two in 25 years speaks volumes for the power of butter in the fridge.

Big heavy chains...... Why ?

Think about it.
If a scrote doesn't have an angle grinder then any chain/U lock will stop your bike being ridden away.
If the scrote does have an angle grinder then he'll cut your chain, be it a big heavy expensive fecker or a lighter cheaper chain.
A few seconds difference between cutting a big heavy chain and a lighter chain isn't going to deter a scrote.

Think about it.
If a scrote doesn't have an angle grinder then any chain/U lock will stop your bike being ridden away.
If the scrote does have an angle grinder then he'll cut your chain, be it a big heavy expensive fecker or a lighter cheaper chain.
A few seconds difference between cutting a big heavy chain and a lighter chain isn't going to deter a scrote.

Precisely! It really is just a visual deterrent, which is why I sling a cheapo light weight bike cover over too. £13 from eBay.

Precisely! It really is just a visual deterrent, which is why I sling a cheapo light weight bike cover over too. £13 from eBay.

+1 for cheap cover i do the same with a medium chain through the rear wheel & pannier frame.

The chain has a plastic sleeve over it so carrying it on the bike is easy (no need for a bag), it sits over the rear light of my 2006 GSA and equally feeds down on top of the pannier frame towards the front of the bike each side and held on by a bungy that goes over the rear passenger seat.

Actually i usually take the rear seat off while away (unless the Missis comes along) and loop the bungy at the rear of the frame.

Think about it.

In one.

Some of the chains bods cart about must get up to 20 kg or not much short of 10% the weight of the bike. They should forget their Hill Top powerboost wonder tweaking and dump the chain.

I take a simple disc lock and / or a basic coiled up cable with a combination lock *, as might be used on a decent bicycle. Both easy to use, so I use them. Both are enough to prevent - or at least delay - the most common cause of theft, the straight forward push-away.

* I prefer a combination lock, as there is no key to lose.

Back
Top Bottom