The Next Best Bike in The World Ever......Thread :-)

The pigs are pretty strict these days,but you can still have a bit of fun in the right place.No wish to move to the Isle of Man,ta.
I'm quite happy to nip to France on a regular basis as it's only 90 minutes by ferry,the cats have tails,and the locals don't marry their sister. :p

I don't have much luck in France and get caught speeding when going steady. Gladly I've not been pulled when having fun or I probably wouldn't be writing this now!

Are you going to the TT?

Even though many of the IOM locals may be related, it's a great place and they make nice ice cream!

I don't have much luck in France and get caught speeding when going steady. Gladly I've not been pulled when having fun or I probably wouldn't be writing this now!

Are you going to the TT?

Even though many of the IOM locals may be related, it's a great place and they make nice ice cream!

Do you stick to the main roads, or go on the smaller ones? I've never seen the police doing speed checks in the countryside, but always stick to the smaller, less travelled roads.

Nice food pics, Arsey.:thumb

Why are we programmed to never be satisfied with what we've got already weather it's cars, bikes, women, jobs etc!
Haha that's my problem too!!!

I just hope a 1290S/R will stop me constantly lusting after the latest greatest bikes... well at least until the KTM 1390/BMW 1300 GSA Rallye, etc comes along :blast

Keep the bike/travel pics coming lads... the more I see the closer I'm getting to waving goodbye to the Speed Triple and bringing home one of these beasts :D

I'm going to do my normal route planning for today's ride between Calais and Dieppe while I'm on the ferry and then I'll put the hotel address into my sat nav before turning it off until a few miles from Dieppe. Scribbled notes in the map pocket of my tank bag for me and probably a croque monsieur washed down by a beer in a small town cafe along the way.

Speeding? You can bet your life I'll be speeding but not in villages or approaching cross roads where French police usually hide.

I'm going to do my normal route planning for today's ride between Calais and Dieppe while I'm on the ferry and then I'll put the hotel address into my sat nav before turning it off until a few miles from Dieppe. Scribbled notes in the map pocket of my tank bag for me and probably a croque monsieur washed down by a beer in a small town cafe along the way.

Speeding? You can bet your life I'll be speeding but not in villages or approaching cross roads where French police usually hide.

have a good (rapid) ride.... i know where i would rather be today.... he says sitting at his desk :green gri;)

Andy , where you going ?

My bike is being serviced now . Ready in an hour then off to Le Touquet for lunch . Germany demain.
99a00cfe49102ef6a9a707ac9c6ddc74.jpg

Having spent a lot of time in France I can confirm this to be very true, Cross Roads and Villages are a key stopping point - watch out for the small hamlet on a long straight road - maybe only 12 houses and a Café - but they will drop the speed down to 30 gentle in and gentle out.......

Sundays are also a day to watch - Sunday is the national drink driving day in France, so the Gendarmes are normally quite vigilant.....( oh, and watch out for the pissed up drivers on the rural roads)

Sundays are also a day to watch - Sunday is the national drink driving day in France, so the Gendarmes are normally out in the countryside drinking wine, and dogging

Fixed for you :aidan

Well we made it to the hotel after 135 miles of absolutely no motorways, one speed camera set off, one croque monsieur washed down with a large Pelforth and tyres nicely scrubbed in :D

I haven't helped myself because the 1190 was still great fun to ride and when I asked myself what could improve it the only answer was more horsepower because you can never have too many ponies.

I've now done 800 miles on my 1290R.
A few thoughts.
Around town it makes a silly noise,linked to euro 4 emissions I think,as it's like a sucking noise and then a flap closing .

Apart from that,it's bloody fantastic .

So bloody fast,yet loads of mid range.

The quickshifter is great,with the clutch basically redundant apart from around town .
Blat up through the box and then when coming to a roundabout,click click click 5,4,3 with a firm prod,and MTC stopping any locking up,then fire it out the other side.

Handling is astonishing,considering the 21/8 wheels.

Hill start is very useful,not that I particularly wanted it ,but now I've got it......

Love the TFT screen.

It's in a different league to any of the competition,who will be playing catch up now.

It's crystal clear in all weather.Has useful stuff like a great big yellow ICE WARNING when below 4 degrees tells you when a service is due lets you know side stand is down,etc etc.
Menu is great,with mine set up to access the heated seat and grips on the 2 shortcuts.

Fuel range is about 190 plus 30 reserve.

Love the phone holder/charger though I lost part of the clip that holds the lid shut and dealer replaced it.

Ergo seat comfy all day,screen on high setting is perfect for me at 6'1".

I think the winglet thingies do more to protect than the screen.

Leaving mates in Boulogne and heading to Germany tomorrow. Bumots going back on.

The 1290R is a great package .

Interesting you like the hill start - I turned mine off as I found it irritating...

I've decided the ergo seat is not so ergo . Fine for about 250 miles but then yer arse gets a bit numb.

By the time I rode mine home (about 30 minutes) I was already thinking I needed the Ergo seats. Personally I have never found a bike I can ride all day and not get a numb arse eventually, partly due to my bony arse, if only the beer settled there instead of on my stomach.

I reckon the KTM with the Ergo is as good if not better than any other bike I have owned.

By the time I rode mine home (about 30 minutes) I was already thinking I needed the Ergo seats. Personally I have never found a bike I can ride all day and not get a numb arse eventually, partly due to my bony arse, if only the beer settled there instead of on my stomach.

I reckon the KTM with the Ergo is as good if not better than any other bike I have owned.

Ergo is good . Best seat is the Renazco on my 950SE. Just perfect .

I'm not too worried about the comfort bit because I've done 500 mile days on sports bikes (not recently) and I can drop a stinky sheep skin over the seat if it gets a bit too much to cope with.

We were discussing today whether I should change to a 1290 and I said the sensible option would be to buy a Rolex with the money it will cost me to change but one of my more stupid friends said I should buy both. Yeah, give me the money and I might consider it. More importantly I banged another 200 onto the 1190 and it's great so I'm not convinced I need a new bike.

Definitely run in now !!
251fa7c6a09fb7b696634d901d0979d3.jpg
d3eb6c81581632ddb41df9ec085e7b31.jpg
bc13cdc6dfaeeffc14d68de8624516c6.jpg

I was overtaken by almost everything on my K1200s around the Nurburgring because I didn't have the balls on the corners but made up for it on the last four mile straight at 170mph.

The second time I went I didn't go around the ring because the roads in that area are as good if not better.

Back
Top Bottom