GS regrets vs GSA

The GSA is obviously bigger and heavier than the GS, but I can't notice a huge difference down a tight bendy road. Unless you're into track days etc, you probably won't notice that much of a difference. If you're bothered about the weight, just run it with half a tank of petrol!:D

Hi Neil

Surprised to see my old thread revived :D

I went for the GSA in the end and am so glad I did I love it. Does everything so well and it 'looks after me' it is so easy to ride. Goes well enough and it handles bends no problem, wide bars help. Beautifully balanced and light as soon as she is moving and although I still like the GS the GSA has a more industrial look that I prefer. Can't answer your question about, if it's as good around bends as a GS, probably yours would have a slight advantage, being a lighter, but as I said I have no complaints

You can't keep a good thread down Wonkey:D

Thanks for your input Nutty. I'm not into track days and never will be. My idea of fun is blasting along French D roads, the twistier the better.

Your comment about petrol makes perfect sense. I don't need the range of a full tank so would never fill it unless I was on a mission. If a GSA handles similar to a GS when it has 20ltrs of fuel then I will be more than happy.

Good to hear you went for the GSA with no regrets Wonky.

I use my bike every day for work but forgot to ride the GSA into town and through traffic during my demo. I think another test ride is in order this weekend and then decision time:thumb2

Neil

Oh and another thing. How can I quickly find out what actual year model any particular GSA WC is? I'm looking at a 2016 but not sure if it is a 2016 or a 2015 which was not registered until 2016?

If it is a 2015 rather than a 2016 model would I be missing out on anything?

Neil I thought prior to getting the GSA, I will only 'half' fill it so it handles better. Did it once and now brim it every time. I can't tell any difference if full or almost empty with the handling and love the range it offers so you are not messing about filling up all the time. I am no riding god though so maybe other will say different

Neil I thought prior to getting the GSA, I will only 'half' fill it so it handles better. Did it once and now brim it every time. I can't tell any difference if full or almost empty with the handling and love the range it offers so you are not messing about filling up all the time. I am no riding god though so maybe other will say different

The only time having a full tank is an issue, is when you have to push it around. I now make sure I fill up at the beginning of the day rather than at the end.

As to the French twisties, those are my favourite roads, and the GSA is perfect on them. I'd go so far as to say better than the GS, due to the stability in wind/ larger fuel tank for when the lazy buggers close all their petrol stations.:D

Thanks Nutty. Just what I needed to hear.

What about identifying the date of build? Any advice??

Hmm, not sure about that tbh, sorry. I know that the early ones had silver heel guards, and that the 2015 onwards had black heel guards though.

I own a LC TE and I'm chuffed to bits with it and never feel inferior, I'm a 63 year old retired knackered overweight and asthmatic wreck. I have few friends with GSA's that never go anywhere save the odd rally. In the last 2 years I've spent nearly a month in Morocco exploring the Rif, Atlas and Anti Atlas mountains and as far south as the Sahara Desert. I'm quite happy with the fuel range because I'm usually desperate for a pee and a coffee, this year I'm spending 2 weeks riding round Iceland. So it's not really about how big the bike is It's about getting out and enjoying it.

I have a 2001 plate 1150 GS so looks don't come into it. I am curious however that a lot of concern is place on how it looks, yet when you are riding either model they look the same (at least to me) from the pilots seat so unless you want to park it in the lounge and look at it instead of the TV what does it matter ? tank range is fine for me as being old I tend to want to get off to piss long before I run out of fuel.

Both valid points and well made.

I fully accept that for most of us the choice is pure vanity. I have no need for a huge tank range. If have an option of buying either for very similar money so just collecting your thoughts and ideas to add to mine.

Neil

I have had 2 gs,s bought a xr could not jell with it so tired a gsa and a big difference its got different

suspension travel
wheelbase
castor
steering head angle
even though its got a big fuel tank you dont have to fill it up and its there if you need it,,,whish I'd bought one years ago

I own a LC TE and I'm chuffed to bits with it and never feel inferior, I'm a 63 year old retired knackered overweight and asthmatic wreck. I have few friends with GSA's that never go anywhere save the odd rally. In the last 2 years I've spent nearly a month in Morocco exploring the Rif, Atlas and Anti Atlas mountains and as far south as the Sahara Desert. I'm quite happy with the fuel range because I'm usually desperate for a pee and a coffee, this year I'm spending 2 weeks riding round Iceland. So it's not really about how big the bike is It's about getting out and enjoying it.

I don't think anyone is saying the GS is bad, I would have been happy with either but like you one fitted in with me better than the other.:beerjug:

Cheers roadchefbob. Not my biggest life decision but an important one :augie:drool

GSD Dad. this is not about inferior or superior I just want to understand if they both go the same or not and if not in what way. I shall start rounding up the worms.:thumb2

Keep any opinions coming I know this is my choice in the end and you lot can't make it for me but I am enjoying your opinions and they do count. Weather looks good tomorrow so might go tyre kicking.........

Well that solved that dilemma......

I test rode a GSA WC again this afternoon (funny how test rides are different when you are actually serious about buying a bike:augie). Liked it. Took it home, dragged it in and out of the garage, not too bad but when I had a go at a three point turn in the lane I was on tip toes and did not enjoy the experience. The seat was on the low setting. I appreciate I could get a lower seat and/or look for a low suspension model but it made up my mind.

I took it back and the salesman strapped a trade plate on a new GS Exclusive straight out the crate. I instantly felt right on it. The new Exclusive is nice but a bit too posh for me. I prefer a bit more rugged so hope to look at a Rallye when one comes in.

Now to sell my GS TC........

So,why not just buy a 'normal' GS and add spoked wheels, engine bars etc to get the rugged look?

Well that solved that dilemma......

I test rode a GSA WC again this afternoon (funny how test rides are different when you are actually serious about buying a bike:augie). Liked it. Took it home, dragged it in and out of the garage, not too bad but when I had a go at a three point turn in the lane I was on tip toes and did not enjoy the experience. The seat was on the low setting. I appreciate I could get a lower seat and/or look for a low suspension model but it made up my mind.

I took it back and the salesman strapped a trade plate on a new GS Exclusive straight out the crate. I instantly felt right on it. The new Exclusive is nice but a bit too posh for me. I prefer a bit more rugged so hope to look at a Rallye when one comes in.

Now to sell my GS TC........

How often do you do 3 point turns? You'll soon get used to it. I suffer from back issues (and, as a result, am a weakling :comfort:D), so sometimes struggle to manoeuvre the bike around, but its not a major issue for me.

Back
Top Bottom