No Maps in France.

Do you know if you can buy replacement NAV V batteries - I'm searching google for one at the moment.

Garmin will probably sell you one or perhaps your local BMW dealership, I've never needed to ask.

The Nav V is a re-brand of another device in the Garmin range, I forget which one as they seem to issue a new one each morning. Find the equivalent and the battery will drop straight in.

Garmin will probably sell you one or BMW. The Nav V is a re-brand of another device in the Garmin range, I forget which one as they seem to issue a new one each morning. Find the equivalent and the battery will drop straight in.

Thanks, I thought that too.
I can't remember what the equivalent model is either but I'm busy with google trying to locate it!
Ta!

Sorry if you misunderstood. Last September the Nav V had all the maps of Europe on - at least the ones that mattered (I honestly can't remember if it was north and south, suffice to say that it included France/Switzerland and all points South of Shetland.

Without changing anything, or plugging it into a computer, it now just has Maps North. I have lost all the other maps that were working last September.

I was trying to route plan on the device, when in the bar on the boat and before I had had enough fine wine to fuddle my brain.

Anyway, I have e-mailed the very nice BMW people in Sion, Switzerland to ask if I can come and plug it into their computers for an update tomorrow as I'm in the area...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is odd as to why maps should vanish from a device, with no other obvious intervening cause as to why.

My first guess is that a part of the maps are loaded within the device and a part onto an SD card, one of the two of which is now not being read, perhaps?

Just try loading all the maps again, prefereably using a fresh brand new SD card, to see what happens. It certainly can't be any worse if you now have just Finland north of the artic circle.

Both of you gentlemen seem to be a lot more experienced / lucky than me with this topic!

Redboots - I looked on my pc (Basecamp says Europe 2018.10 is loaded) but could not find the map files anywhere, even searching. [I don't have an Appdata or local folder!]

When I go to update maps I'm told by Garmin Express that I'm to data but I can't find them. If I could I'd be ready to download to my Nav V if it worked!

Nav V - I downloaded North on Sat. (South didn't download) but reformated SD card on Sunday to try and also took the battery out and back in again (bad idea I think)!
Since then the Nav V switches to loading maps screen and then goes blank - I may have a bad battery connection. I put it on the bike last night for a different power source but the same happened!

I wish I'd left it all as I bought it last year and not updated - hindsight is great.

Any help very, very much appreciated.

TIA,

Iain

Take the memory card out and see if it will turn on

Thanks.

I'll try that tonight.

Do you know if you can buy replacement NAV V batteries - I'm searching google for one at the moment.

Ta,

Iain

You may not need one, see my post above ,
I am having the same trouble, install maps on the memory card, says all installed properly, nav won't start as you described, removing the memory card allows my nav to start up and work properly, its not a battery problem!

You may not need one, see my post above ,
I am having the same trouble, install maps on the memory card, says all installed properly, nav won't start as you described, removing the memory card allows my nav to start up and work properly, its not a battery problem!

I'll try that tonight!

Ta!

I went through all this stuff last week - still no wiser - I had to update to a more modern version of OS on my MAC and then install the new Garmin Express. I then have the option of reinstalling maps or adding new maps. The Garmin Express would not recognise my SD card even though everything else could see it and maps are already on it so had no option but to click the button for "Choose Maps" I couldnt find out how to choose several maps and assume that choosing a different map will replace the existing map so chose Western Europe. The blued out map shows it to cover all the territory I would expect for Western Europe.

I downloaded it to device and to the Basecamp on my MAC and all seems OK - without the need to select north or south Europe and it all fitted on the device?????

For proof......
IMG_0265%20600%20x%20450_zpsotxox24h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rik

I went through all this stuff last week - still no wiser - I had to update to a more modern version of OS on my MAC and then install the new Garmin Express. I then have the option of reinstalling maps or adding new maps. The Garmin Express would not recognise my SD card even though everything else could see it and maps are already on it so had no option but to click the button for "Choose Maps" I couldnt find out how to choose several maps and assume that choosing a different map will replace the existing map so chose Western Europe. The blued out map shows it to cover all the territory I would expect for Western Europe.

I downloaded it to device and to the Basecamp on my MAC and all seems OK - without the need to select north or south Europe and it all fitted on the device?????

For proof......
IMG_0265%20600%20x%20450_zpsotxox24h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rik

I think that is because you just have "Western Europe" rather than all of Europe. Maybe the western Europe maps are within the size restriction that required the full European maps to be split.

John

The Western Europe maps cover a larger territory than U.K. And Ireland and Europe north and Europe south all together. It is basically the same as the old Europe coverage pre 2017.3

Rik

The Western Europe maps cover a larger territory than U.K. And Ireland and Europe north and Europe south all together. It is basically the same as the old Europe coverage pre 2017.3

Rik

Chart showing Garmin Western Europe Maps

Attachments

• garmin_europe_maps.pdf
    138.3 KB · Views: 84
Just to confuse things even more, on mine I don't appear to have a 'South' but it IS there when I zoom in, I have:-
CN Europe NTU 2018.10
CN Europe NTU 2018.10 ALL NORTH

I'm off on Sunday to France, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria and Luxembourg...... that should give it a good test :D
Despite not having ALL South, I'm now in Croatia and all is fine with the Nav V.

I suspect the 'CN Europe NTU 2018.10' map is covering all of Europe :thumb2

Despite not having ALL South, I'm now in Croatia and all is fine with the Nav V.

I suspect the 'CN Europe NTU 2018.10' map is covering all of Europe :thumb2

I spoke to Garmin about this, and no its not. You need North and South, but your obviously not in an area that needs South. Good luck :)

I spoke to Garmin about this, and no its not. You need North and South, but your obviously not in an area that needs South. Good luck :)
How much further South than Malaga would you like me to try?

You might want to give Garmin another call ;)

How much further South than Malaga would you like me to try?

You might want to give Garmin another call ;)

Possibly, but I have the maps you show plus north and south, so unless they are giving us stuff we don't need, think I'm good. It was the same with the 2017 update, loads of threads about it. If your happy and it works cool :)

Possibly, but I have the maps you show plus north and south, so unless they are giving us stuff we don't need, think I'm good. It was the same with the 2017 update, loads of threads about it. If your happy and it works cool :)

Judging by other threads, I guess that what Paul has loaded on his device is
2018.10 Western Europe (whole of) +
2018.10 All NORTH = "All of Europe" NORTH

That is why he is a happy man in Malaga.

Judging by other threads, I guess that what Paul has loaded on his device is
2018.10 Western Europe (whole of) +
2018.10 All NORTH = "All of Europe" NORTH
My device lists:-
CN Europe NTU 2018.10

It is the 'CN Europe NTU 2018.10' map that I suspect is indeed covering the whole of Europe :thumb2

My device lists:-
CN Europe NTU 2018.10

It is the 'CN Europe NTU 2018.10' map that I suspect is indeed covering the whole of Europe :thumb2

I had the same, but it was struggling calculating a test route I did. I rang Garmin and they told me to reload from express, which I did, I then ended up with ALL South as well and the things seems ok, so not sure of the answer :)

I had the same, but it was struggling calculating a test route I did. I rang Garmin and they told me to reload from express, which I did, I then ended up with ALL South as well and the things seems ok, so not sure of the answer :)

Just reloaded all the maps myself via Garmin Express. Phew. Now I know where I am...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nav v started just to show main roads after last update. Tried reset and new update and still the same. Left in to BMW who also tried and still the same. unit was 2 year old. Local dealer changed it for a new nav v.
fast forward 3 months on and I bought another new bike of them. Good customer service will always keep good customers.

Back
Top Bottom