Broken F800GS: 20miles into European Trip!

lank45

Reaction score
Just set off on a holiday taking in France, over to the Alps, into Italy and then where ever the mood dictated. Unfortunately, 20miles in my F800GS lost considerable power with the oil light blinking on and off intermittently. Stopped at Hein Gericke in Leeds and rang the RAC. The chap who came out was very helpful, he rang Jefferies asked for some advice and did the usual checks, oil level, hoses, listened to the bike etc.. all which we'd also done, he deemed the bike unrideable and called for a recovery truck.

Once the truck arrived we managed to eventually strap the bike down, handguards made the handlebar straps a no go so lots of ratchet straps were used instead.

On arrival at Jefferies the bike was pushed into the workshop and started up, and ran fine! I explained the bike had a loss of power and was limping along so the mechanic took it out for a ride. All looked fine until he set off out the car park when the bike did the usual, lost power and sounded horrid. If you ever wonder what your bike would sound like if you were to fit a Ducati engine with a dry clutch in your F800GS then drop me an email and I'd happily divulge.

Back in the workshop and onto the ramp, this is where it gets fun, mechanic finishes work and I'm informed that the next available slot is 3 weeks away. Not only that but I'm 4 weeks out of warranty, all that after I'd had it serviced at 12,000 two weeks since. And the final kick in the balls, I dropped my custom moulded ear plug down a grate, I managed to get it back with ye olde leatherman but it now has a lovely slice in it where the knife went in!

They've said they will try fit me in sooner and help me out with my warranty, which I guess all is they can do. I guess after all the engine didn't seize while doing 90mph down the road and chuck me off or I didn't break down 1000miles from home, but annoying nevertheless. We'll just have to see what they come back with and I'll keep you all posted!

TBH that sounds like an engine management issue - if it's running ok til you try and ride it ... maybe for some reason it's kicking into a 'limp home' mode ...

Did your guy not plug it into the diagnostic machine?

G

plugged it in and came up with nothing whatsoever! wish it had but seems more mechanical, it was still running rough when it was sat with me not being ridden. Other issue is that the touratech weekend is before my next available service slot!

Dont they have a hire bike you can use?

Jeffries even charge £15 for a loaner when in for service. (To pay for the fancy new showroom)

my issue is my age, I'm only 23 and you need to be 25 to borrow a bike. They said get in contact with my insurance to see if I can swap insurance from my bike to a loan bike but my insurance company is closed over the weekend!

Have you got normal travel insurance? Maybe they can help in some way - just as when a 'proper' holiday got cancelled.

So two weeks after the 12k service your bike died...hmm...what did the dealer do to it!?

How many miles between the 12k service and setting off on holiday?

Ask BMW for it to be transferred to another dealership as the time frame is unreasonable. :nenau

Take it to resident GS fixer "Steptoe", can't be that far from you?

I'm 21 and have never had a problem being loaned a bike to? Weird...

Hope you get things sorted!

I thought the same with regards to lending me a bike, if I ride one in surely I can ride one out. It's the very reason I didn't buy a bike from Jefferies as they weren't willing to let me test ride one! Apparently, their insurance broker set the age and not BMW.

I've completed 200miles since the service, they did the usual changed oil and filters and checked the valves but didn't adjust them. I asked them about transferring the bike to a local dealer but they left it up to me to ring round etc...I decided on leaving it with them as I've got a full service history provided by Jefferies and the bike was bought from there. They have agreed to try and fit it in sooner and I've managed to delay taking my holiday off work for a week so fingers crossed I'll be on a ferry this weekend.

Fortunately, we had only booked a ferry and got travel insurance so nothing to claim for, just letting down the B&B in France we had reserved but promised to come back to in the not too distant future.

news from jefferies, a white metal bearing has failed on the countershaft resulting in significant damage to the crankshaft. So new crankshaft, engine flush, gaskets etc... Putting a case forward to BMW to have it covered under warranty, but a failure after 12,000miles on an adventure bike seems pretty dire to me!

Berluddy hell!

I sincerely hope they cover ALL of the costs for this as that's outrageous - unless they can positively tie it into your misuse of course (running low on oil etc).

I think there's a very valid case for extending my warantee come September!

news from jefferies, a white metal bearing has failed on the countershaft resulting in significant damage to the crankshaft. So new crankshaft, engine flush, gaskets etc... Putting a case forward to BMW to have it covered under warranty, but a failure after 12,000miles on an adventure bike seems pretty dire to me!

Not a very nice outcome.....................hope you get it resolved:thumb

I don't see how this can be declined - you spend over £8k on a bike and it fails two weeks after warranty expires and 12,000 miles having been serviced - not fit for purpose under sale of goods act - if they decline to fix free then sue them - you WILL win. Bloody shame, but that's life. Good luck with it.

That's dreadful :eek:

Sincerely hope they pay for everything :rob

What a shite 'recommendation' for a new 800 :blast

... Back in the workshop and onto the ramp, this is where it gets fun, I'm informed that the next available slot is 3 weeks away.

Ask BMW for it to be transferred to another dealership as the time frame is unreasonable. :nenau Take it to resident GS fixer "Steptoe", can't be that far from you?
If it's out of warranty, why do you need BMWs permission to get it fixed elsewhere? :nenau

Why not ring around other BMW mechanics near West Yorkshire to see if they can fix it sooner?

Really feel for you on this and I hope you get it resolved asap :thumb2 but christ there's some bollox posted here.

Sales of Goods Act and not fit for purpose - how does a 12,000 bike fall into the legislation :nenau
Running screaming into a dealer quoting the above is really gonna get you on the side of the dealer :mmmm

And then the usual stuff about adventure bikes ............................ it's a feckin' mechanical thing, they sometimes go wrong, shit happens.
As bearing failure is not a common failure on 800's (AFAIK?) then what's it got to do with making them unsuitable for their intended purpose FFS :nenau

Sorry for the rant, prob not the place for it and I sincerley hope you get it sorted asap but the two comments above that get traipsed out again and again by peeps who know no better really get my goat :D

Andres

I'm waiting to see whether they will cover it at Jefferies as it was purchased from there and they've to all subsequent work on the bike including 6000 mile and 12000 mile service, the latter which was only done 200 miles ago. Here's to hoping that it will be done as a good will jesture.

One thing I have learnt is that cars are shit in traffic!

Back
Top Bottom