1100GS strange whirring noise

Rich C

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Gentlemen... A strange thing just happened whilst out on my 96 1100... 16,000 miles is all it's done. I've had it 3 years. Prior to this it had stood idle for a long time with previous owner.

Riding along and the abs lights came on as if the system had a fault or had not initialised itself. It's done this before once or twice so I keep a jumper wire and croc clip with me to do an abs reset.

I pulled over to do this and noticed a loud, gruff, whirring noise which, given I was in the countryside I assumed was a farmer in a field somewhere nearby. It wasn't untill I got helmet off and earplugs out that I realised it was coming from the bike from either inside or under the tank! This noise was quite loud and carried on even with the ignition off. It was a deeper sound than the usual high pitched fuel pump whine..

I tried pulling out several fuses but none stopped it.. the bike still started and ran...after a few minutes it stopped... I did the abs reset and rode home without an issue..

Anyone got any idea what the hell was going on? Fuel pump? Abs pump?

Thanks in advanve

It would have to be something powered directly from the battery to continue to make that noise whilst the ignition is off and engine has stopped with all fuses removed.

My guess would be the ABS modulator, it’s in the right place for the noise and is powered directly from the battery. It also fits in with you getting an ABS fault.

Ian thankyou.... Any advice on what I do next? Nothing? Replace it? Can it be serviced?

Thanks

Short of reading the ABS fault codes and an ABS reset and retest, The fault may be transient and may clear.

It could also be a fault with the control module.

The way I see it is that with the bike stationary, The ABS may be registering a double wheel lock up due to a fault and is powering the ABS modulator to release the brakes. Which then cleared as you restarted the bike.

Were the brakes working OK as you came to a stop?

Sounds like the relay in the ABS control module, under the tank. Contacts welded closed. Easy to get at behind the black cover. Unavailable new, £20 odd secondhand from MW's. You can try cleaning your contacts.
Error code 6 AFAIR. Which will reset itself if you repair/replace the relay

Ian, yes they were. Apart from the noise and the fault lights the bike was running normally. And rode perfectly home again afterwards..

See if the fault reoccurs. As TWG suggests, the power relay is a replaceable component and worth considering replacing if the fault should reoccur.

Depending on one’s skill level, it is possible to remove the plastic cover of these relays and polish the contact faces. It’s a double contact relay for the high current that it has to carry when operating so sticking contacts is a possibility.

The good news, is that even with the ABS fitted and malfunctioning you can turn it off and still have conventional brakes.IMG_0522.jpeg

Gentlemen, thankyou for your wise counsel...

I shall see if I can acquire a replacement relay and keep to one side in case this happens again..

Cheers

Rich

Back
Top Bottom