1200GS 2018 - Amateur Rider

Ive been riding bikes for years, 125,s 250,s etc, but didn't do my test until i was 50 odd

went from a Varadero 125 to a R1200GS Hexhead, dropped it & picked it up a few times, shit happens ;)

Ridden in Scotland in the snow, and in the sun & rain :)

Its a great bike to ride, but dont let the riding modes fool you , the laws of physics, still apply, and if you pass the threshold, no mode will save things ;)

My only observation is that size and weight are something you need to grow with…. but It does not take long…. Best thing to do is go to a large carpark like Asda at 1800 on a Sunday evening and spend a few hours riding round in circles - practice breaking hard from 30, 40, 50 get used to the weight … get a feel for the throttle and how the dynamics change….. tighten your circles etc… feel the bike move…

ref Europe …. Keep your first long trip to the UK.., ride to Scotland and back… or if you live in Scotland ride to Hampshire…

get the bike under your belt before you need to factor in being on the wrong side of the road….

I'm nearly 60 ….. ridden since I was 14 (local fields) and I still drop mine every now and then….but mostly on the drive……when they go,, they go…let it.

5’ 8”

Same height as me. It's going to be a very tall bike for you unless you ordered the lowered suspension and/or a low seat. If not, you might want to think about those things.

You will need to practice sliding one bum cheek off the saddle so you can put one leg flat on the floor at stops. Be careful at first until you get the hang of it. Don't expect to have both feet flat on the floor.

Don't assume the electronics will be the the saviour,they are an aid

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

I smell a wind up. No one would be that silly.
Me too.
His title is 2018 1200...but quickly morphs into having ordered a 1250 which hints at brand new to me.

Anyhow, if its genuine....crack on as you see right. The electronics won't save you from doing something daft...or inexperienced. Plenty of car drivers kill themselves annually and they have all sorts of computer wizardry to 'keep them safe'.

Me ? I'd be looking at something like a CB500x and learning my trade on that for a year or two. Chucking £20k at a new bike won't buy the experience you actually need.

Same height as me. It's going to be a very tall bike for you unless you ordered the lowered suspension and/or a low seat. If not, you might want to think about those things.

You will need to practice sliding one bum cheek off the saddle so you can put one leg flat on the floor at stops. Be careful at first until you get the hang of it. Don't expect to have both feet flat on the floor.
Grrr, height has nothing to do with the ability to one's feet down, it's inside leg & arch

If you have a 28 or 29" inside leg you will be on your tippy toes, not ideal but do able -

Next step is a lowered seat -

Then lowered suspension,

and then an ultralow TT seat

I had the TT ultralow on my 2016 factory low , and it was fine

It worked a charm on the 2022 factory low as well

now i'm back on a twincam, ive had to start again, low seat trimmed ultralow

Grrr, height has nothing to do with the ability to one's feet down, it's inside leg & arch
I know that, but someone of 5' 8" is likely to have an inside leg between 28" and 30" unless they are freakishly proportioned. So will almost certainly be tippy toes or one side foot down.

In any case....highly likely that we will need a low seat and/or lowered suspension to be really comfortable with the bike.

Back
Top Bottom