ABS 2 Fault Code 13 - Plunger Test Fault - how to rectify?

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there,

About two weeks ago, whilst in the cruise on a freeway, both ABS lights on Jorg's 2002 ABS 2 (non-servo) 1150 GS Adventure started flashing together. No combination of restarting, pushing the ABS button (out of optimism) worked. Jorge tried shorting two pins in the diagnostic plug using a piece of wire, after reading advice online, but this had no effect.

Help was offered in the shape of a GS-911 Diagnostic tool from soyanarchisto on ADVrider, who very generously lent his to Jorge...
:thumb

IMG_8561-X4.jpg

We followed the quick start instructions and downloaded the software onto a borrowed laptop (GS-911 doesn't play easily with Mac), then connected the device to the diagnostic plug, located just above the air filter, and asked the device to search for faults...

IMG_8565-X4.jpg

OK - Fault Code 13 - Plunger Test Fault.

IMG_8564-X4.jpg

First rule of electronic diagnosis - delete the code and see if it comes back. It doesn't immediately, so Jorge gets togged up and rides it up the road and back.

As half-expected, the same code came back. With neither of us able to remember how to take a screenshot from a PC, we both took a pic...
lol8.gif

OK - so we know what the fault is - can anyone give us some pointers as to how to rectify it please?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike :)

Morning Mike

have a read of Paul’s write up…
could well be debris in there?

You could try bleeding the fluid at the ABS module and - if the error stays reset long enough - activiating the ABS with some hard braking.
BTW With the GS911 to hand it's worth checking the TPS position.

All I can say is IF you decide to lift out the pistons

Clean the area well with brake clean and an airline before hand

Cover the ports with clean cloth whilst away from the openings

and use FINE scotchbrite (Grey I think) to polish up surfaces and clean everything and lube it with fresh brake fluid at reassembly

Morning Mike

have a read of Paul’s write up…
could well be debris in there?

Excellent Albatross - exactly the sort of thing I was hoping someone would reply with - many thanks :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom