Alps Trip

Sot1200

Reaction score
We have organized a trip to the Alps with a couple of friends for the 10th of june till the 23rd that will include just about everything. Dolomites, Black Forest, Andermatt and Lake Como. The date was chosen based on a previous trip I made back in 2008 towards the end of june and it was unbelievably hot ie 37degrees c. Now with all this snow and bad weather this year I am a bit weary that the tall passes will still be closed. Any of you have any experience on the subject? We will fly to Venice and meet our bikes there after they arrive in a container to begin the trip from there so its not taht easy to change now.

Should be a great trip. It may only be the highest passes still closed so a check just before you fly over will sort your route out. Have a great holiday
http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php

I have this in mind and have the option of doing the route counterclockwise so we do the dolomites and como first. This will push the Andermat and Austrian passes as late as possible in the trip

Don't worry I was the same on my last trip Mine was 21st of June and about 5 days before the Stelvio was still shut I also checked other pass webcams one even snowed in Switzweland the day before I set off. I made back up plans but all was fine.
Enjoy, Dave.

Don't worry I was the same on my last trip Mine was 21st of June and about 5 days before the Stelvio was still shut I also checked other pass webcams one even snowed in Switzweland the day before I set off. I made back up plans but all was fine.
Enjoy, Dave.

Thanks guys, I will see if I can change tickets etc 10 days further down the line

Not everywhere in the Alps had loads of snow this year. Here on the south side of the Tauern range we had very little, over the mountains to the north of here they had lots. Here just 20kms away in a straight line you can find completely different weather systems. Our local high roads including the Grossglockner look set to open at the beginning of May-maybe earlier if the current warm weather continues- 18 to 21 c here today -perfect biking weather-shame I won't get my number plate back until April!

Yes you can get snow on the mountains in June but in my experience it is just a likely in July and August. In a typical year we get one day a month each summer were there is snow down to around 2,000 m- usually gone within a day or so.

Best advice is to keep a close watch on the local weather forecasts and plan your days accordingly.

Have fun

John

Not everywhere in the Alps had loads of snow this year. Here on the south side of the Tauern range we had very little, over the mountains to the north of here they had lots. Here just 20kms away in a straight line you can find completely different weather systems. Our local high roads including the Grossglockner look set to open at the beginning of May-maybe earlier if the current warm weather continues- 18 to 21 c here today -perfect biking weather-shame I won't get my number plate back until April!

Yes you can get snow on the mountains in June but in my experience it is just a likely in July and August. In a typical year we get one day a month each summer were there is snow down to around 2,000 m- usually gone within a day or so.

Best advice is to keep a close watch on the local weather forecasts and plan your days accordingly.

Have fun

John

Grossglockner will be our first pass programmed for the 12th then we will head up towards Insbrook and finally Garmisch on the 14th. 15-16th will see the Volamberg/Black forest region. 17th will be Stelvio and up through bernina to St Moritz. 18th- 19th San Bernantino pass to Lake Como, so Andermatt passes are set for the 20th. Chur and the passes around St Moritz on the 22nd leaving the Dolomite Passes last. So if Grossglockner is open , the next high passes are a couple of days further in time

Have fun

John

Just had a look at the map on your web. it seems we will be passing by. We will be doing the Nocklamstrasse on the way from Bled on the 12th. I will make a note on my sat to pass by.

Just had a look at the map on your web. it seems we will be passing by. We will be doing the Nocklamstrasse on the way from Bled on the 12th. I will make a note on my sat to pass by.

Call in if you get the chance, the road up our valley-the Maltahochalmstrasse is also worth a look-shame you could not stay here for 2 nights-we can then give a free pass for the Glockner/Nockalmstrasse and our local road. Let me know if you want info on a good route from Bled.

John

Call in if you get the chance, the road up our valley-the Maltahochalmstrasse is also worth a look-shame you could not stay here for 2 nights-we can then give a free pass for the Glockner/Nockalmstrasse and our local road. Let me know if you want info on a good route from Bled.

John

Will give it a shot. will inform the others and let you know. Theres nothing like local knowledge.

Will give it a shot. will inform the others and let you know. Theres nothing like local knowledge.

I'm heading back to the UK on Sunday for a manic week of visiting friends and relatives before our season starts here. Don't know if I will get a chance to get on here much but Emails to info@hochalmspitze.com will get through.
John

Back
Top Bottom