BMW Service Plan

BillWright

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a heads up if anyone else has a service plan coming to an end.
When I picked up the GSA from BMW Park Lane in April 2019, I paid £1199 for a five-year service plan.
The first service was completed in June 2019 and it has been serviced at 12 month intervals ever since.
Because it is condition-based service and can't be completed early, I am in the position where the service plan expires in April and the service is not due until two months later.
I contacted BMW customer service and spoke to a very nice lady. The conclusion was that the contract had expired, so effectively I've paid for something that I would never have been able to use.

The only good thing to come out of this is that Richard the service manager at Bahnstormers will apply a substantial discount to my bill.

Service plan is only good for high miles riders,hence why its reasonably priced cause they Don't always have to fulfill the entire plan,bile written off?plan goes with bike.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

When I bought a 3 year service plan last year I asked about this scenario and was told it would still be valid if the last service was due after the 3 years had expired provided it was within a short period of time. In my case the first service was within a month of purchasing the bike.

I’ve just bought a GSA and was tempted to go for the service plan thinking it was like the Honda ones I’ve had in the past. Pay your money and it’s 4 services. Full stop.
However I was told the BM one was 3 years servicing but you could only book it in if the service was actually due. In the past I’ve had to book a bike in early as I’m about to go on a trip and will go way past due while I’m away. If I’d got 4 1/2k on the bike and about to go on a 3k trip I’d have to pay for the service.

I thought about a plan when I bought my used (but v. low mileage) GS from Bahnstormer. They were very honest and said don't bother unless you're going to really put in the miles.

With the BMW plan it is best to have the bike serviced annually from the date of registration new,
so the first annual will be less than a year from the first service in effect. They cannot refuse as the BMW small print clearly states this as shown to me by a dealer. That way you will get all the services paid for in the plan.

The chap on the service desk I got my GSA from said not to bother with the service plan!! Dealers eh..

From what I have worked out, if you do the mileage, over 6K per year it works out in your favour, as the cost of the three year plan is less than the scheduled services.

The chap on the service desk I got my GSA from said not to bother with the service plan!! Dealers eh..
…because they can screw more money out of you if you have it serviced annually and pay for each one on the day.
If you’re only doing a low annual mileage and have the bike serviced on miles , rather than annually, you would be quids in.

If you’re only doing a low annual mileage and have the bike serviced on miles
I've not owned a BMW before, my 23 GSA is my first. All previous bikes have been Jap. Question I have do BMW play the time game on their bikes like car dealers do. Eg 12 months or X miles whatever comes first?

I've not owned a BMW before, my 23 GSA is my first. All previous bikes have been Jap. Question I have do BMW play the time game on their bikes like car dealers do. Eg 12 months or X miles whatever comes first?

Yep
But I think they all do
BMW will want to do minimum an annual oil and filter service as well as brake fluid and final drive oil every 2 years
Then air filter, plugs and valve check according to mileage

Yes they do.

Second paragraph - “there is also an annual service every year”
Which you have to buy, a service plan, hence the contact your local dealer. Which is how I'm reading it or it would just say 1yr or 8k which ever comes first etc. What if you don't have a service plan (like me) is it just mileage?

I'm going to route thorough my paperwork see what I can find, just not clear to me on the Motorrad site.

That's what I was looking for, annually or mileage which ever comes first. Their site is badly written.

…because they can screw more money out of you if you have it serviced annually and pay for each one on the day.
If you’re only doing a low annual mileage and have the bike serviced on miles , rather than annually, you would be quids in.
My first service was negotiated in the bike price, so I have then the annuals until the end of the warranty.. No screwing here!

Back
Top Bottom