Buttertub’s suggested routes Dales, Moors and Pennines

Wapping

Reaction score
AS A TIDY-UP I HAVE DELETED THE ORIGINAL POST AND THREAD, CONDENSING THE KEY POINTS INTO THIS FRESH THREAD.

RICHARD

Very kindly, Buttertub’s has shared with me some of his favourite routes in and around the area, along with an explanatory note.

Here's where I do most of my riding between the dales, pennines and the moors. I've ridden them all. There's a good mix of the popular best flowing main roads and the less busy b roads / country roads which I head for as the traffic is much less. They might not look long but I have to travel another 80 miles to start the routes so they all end up 200 to 300 miles which is enough for me bearing in mind some of these roads are quite technical, as in, thin country roads.

They all start and finish Pateley Bridge as that's where I head for to start the routes, plus there's an excellent pie shop just opposite the car park......

PS When looking at the routes, if anyone has any constructive ideas or suggestions (cafes, ‘must do roads’ and the like) to add to any of them, please do so in the thread. Please don’t though simply post, “That road is crap…..” as I’ll simply edit it out.

The fellow has been kind enough to share his suggestions, let’s encourage other people to do the same, rather snide snipes from a keyboard.

Thank you.

Richard

Last edited:
I will be watching with interest

Pateley Bridge, eh ……fairly near to me

Pie shops?

Either Kendall’s or Weatherhead’s

Personally I favour Weatherheads at the top of the High Street

522de06de1f80ef1a893268110c0ba4c.jpg

Oddly enough, I'm doing a long weekend down there starting this coming Friday.
I'm hoping Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe in Settle still does those amazing Cumberland Sausage Baps.

Thanks for all your efforts in sorting these routes out for members, its useful to see what can be done with different software when someone knows what they are doing and my skills only reach so far.

Interesting that you linked in street view via Myroutes its a very useful tool. I use streetview a lot of the time planning routes just to check out new roads and stay clear if it looks too rough for my liking.

Anyways, your efforts go a long way to helping others in the community so well done, its appreciated.

The thanks, is down to you (Buttertubs) for riding the routes, recommending them and then being prepared to share them with me via email. All I did then was work out a way to get them into my personal My Maps account, then display them on the forum. As much as anything else, it was good practice for me, sat in my daughter’s garden, pretty immobile.

IMG_2531.jpeg

I did everything on my iPad, which shows how powerful the device is, when linked to a good wifi signal. The possibly amazing thing is that I could probably have done the same thing, using my iPhone, slowed only by the smaller screen. I know nothing about IT or how all the wizardry works; I just guess most of the time, tapping on buttons to see what happens. In my world, all this tech ‘stuff’ either works or it doesn’t. More often than not, well designed app’s do work, helped that the new forum makes many tasks much easier.

People sharing routes, suggestions and ideas is one of the forum’s core strengths. The new app’s, make this easier. Mix in the very good ‘embed’ feature, which makes posts and threads more interesting. Not least, embedding (or just linking) a route, is a lot easier than writing out turn by turn directions for routes that are sometimes many miles long.

Other useful tools were the forum’s excellent:

HOW TO DO IT

Which was really useful when I needed reminding as to how to embed Google My Maps routes, along with the

TEST AREA

The latter is really good just to experiment in, safe in the knowledge that you really cannot break anything.

Last edited:
What a great resource to post. Do we need my route app to take advantage of these routes? I currently use The garmin, but would love to have these routes to hand to use.

What a great resource to post. Do we need my route app to take advantage of these routes? I currently use The garmin, but would love to have these routes to hand to use.

Thank you.

You can download a free version of MyRoute. Into thIs you’ll be able to download the route(s) and / or the track(s) from the embeds above. From there, export the GPX file into BaseCamp.

Last edited:
I lived in Gunnerside in Swaledale for 8 years and here’s a shot of my favourite local roads. I’ve started this one from Richmond as I thought that might be the most likely route in for folks and be warned ….. the emphasis is on very small roads. Perfectly doable on a GS but better off with something smaller.

I haven’t worked out how Richard got the routes on to here, but I’ve made it public in the MyRoute app and feel free to contact me if you’d like a copy of the gpx file. Its not the longest route by far, but so much of it is slow going that it takes a wee bit longer than you think. Finally, I added in Tan Hill and Buttertubs pass for good measure (I used to have to commute over Buttertubs each day and after one winter of that, decided to move to where my work was in the Lakes) Mark

Unfortunately the very well intentioned posts #13 and #14 have only left a screen shot.

I have PM’d Mark (ikkje) and asked him to email the route to me. I’ll then edit his posts and embed it for him.

=======

All done. I have looked at the roads on Google Street View, looks good.

Last edited:
Thank you.

You can download a free version of MyRoute. Into thIs you’ll be able to download the route(s) and / or the track(s) from the embeds above. From there, export the GPX file into BaseCamp.
You can also transfer routes to Garmin (in my instance MK1 XT) by means of using Garmin Drive app on your mobile phone or tablet.

In my instance, I use iPhone or the iPad paired to my Garmin XT, via bluetooth.

1. Open MyRoute app and select the route you wish to share to your Garmin device.

2. Tap on Download (downwards pointed arrow) tab

3. Select .gps 1.2 (other choices are also available) from the drop down menu, followed by a tap on Download tab.

4. A pop-up menu will appear. confirming that the File had been saved, tap on Export tab.

5. Chose Garmin Drive app, this will take you to the app it self. From here you press Send to your linked Garmin device.

6. Once process is over, Go to your actual Garmin device and find the route in your Saved Trips app. Tap go to navigate.

This method is amazing, because you do not have to have all routes on hand, so long as you have wifi or cellular signal, you can download any manner of routes from around the world, and transfer them to your Garmin device in a matter of minutes, without having to be sat in from of a 27" iMac, mucking about with BaseCamp.

As I currently a non paying MRA user, I have a restriction on how many routes I can have saved within the app, 25 of the top of my head. So to prevent me from limiting myself, I store GPX files in the iCloud, then transfer them to MRA --> Garmin XT as and when needed.

I hope this is of some help to others.

EV

Thank you Richard for posting these routes, and to Buttertub's for sharing them with you/us.

Last edited:
Wonderful, this is a beautiful part of the world and the routes look fabulous. Thank you to everyone involved for taking the time and the trouble to sort this all out.

Thanks for embedding the route Richard :) As I mentioned previously, with the exception of Tan Hill and Buttertubs, my route is the less obvious and well known selection of roads and I still enjoy heading over that way. This was a couple of weeks ago with Mr Fox of this Parish and his amazing Falcone

IMG_0103.jpeg

Many, many thanks for all who have put effort into creating and sharing these routes. Wife and I are heading up from Cornwall to Yorkshire Dales in June. Based in Harrogate, these routes will be invaluable to us. Thanks again. Brian

Back
Top Bottom