Desert fox fuel cell's, leaking, anyone else had this?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, Just wondering if anyones had experiance of these things?

I bought one from Nippy Norman's (UK on-line shop) a few months ago and used it once on my DRZ dirt bike only to find the canvas stitcking was coming appart. So NN sent me a returns form and the blader was swapped out. I did notice on this one that the top had to be real tight to stop it leaking.

Then on the replacement one, the seal on the the screw top would not seal it fully? Chose how tight I got the cap it still wet the side of the bag with fuel! It was a 3 ltr bag and I put about 2.5 ltr in and made sure the air was out before using it.

We've been back and forth with the manufacturer on this and they are saying they want to pressure test the unit etc, but just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue? I even hung it up in the garage as a test and again the cap leaked so it's not through strapping it down to the bike.

There was a bit of flash on the neck moulding but I'd assume these things would be tested when made and pass some kind of pressure test then? It's critical these things seal and TBH, I think i've been quite lucky in the bag not catching fire or even worst exploding covering the bike and myself in burning fuel.

Anyone had the same?

I have used the 20ltr ones- they do not like to be squashed- and they are best attached using the PALS webbing in such a way that you do not apply pressure to the bag-
Their fuel caps are of poor design and sods to fit after filling trying not to spill.- Keeping the cap pointing to the sky helps-
The filler hose design is also poor- as it 'glub-glub-glubs as the fuel and air battle for position as you pour- although I've figured out a fix for that.:) and can pour out 20 litres in amazingly little time.

They are not ideal - certainly not for motos IMHO (nor legal on any roads in UK or in EU) but they are convenient-if not particularly safe IMHO
Get it replaced as long as it takes until you get one which has no build faults-

Here is a tougher, legal and safer alternative:
Cheaper than rotopax and sold by a very helpful Carl [01787372901] at ADV bike shop and made in the Netherlands, this one https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/water-fuel-packs/overland-fuel-can-4.5lt/
and secured with one of those https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/water-fuel-packs/overland-fuel-locking-core-mount/

For the cynics : I've no connection with them aside from being a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
I have used the 20ltr ones- they do not like to be squashed- and they are best attached using the PALS webbing in such a way that you do not apply pressure to the bag-
Their fuel caps are of poor design and sods to fit after filling trying not to spill.- Keeping the cap pointing to the sky helps-
The filler hose design is also poor- as it 'glub-glub-glubs as the fuel and air battle for position as you pour- although I've figured out a fix for that.:)

They are not ideal - certainly not for motos IMHO (nor legal on any roads in UK or in EU) but they are convenient-if not particularly safe IMHO
Get it replaced as long as it takes until you get one which has no build faults-

Here is a tougher, legal and safer alternative:
Cheaper than rotopax and sold by a very helpful Carl [01787372901] at ADV bike shop and made in the Netherlands, this one https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/water-fuel-packs/overland-fuel-can-4.5lt/
and secured with one of those https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/water-fuel-packs/overland-fuel-locking-core-mount/

For the cynics : I've no connection with them aside from being a satisfied customer.
yes, did think of one of those in the first instance, wish now I'd gone that way....

you won't regret it- my having a 9.5 litre fuel tank...it's a necessity!

Ask Noraly how they don’t work - think it was one of her Namibia videos …

They work fine- not a long term solution IMHO but are useful if you accept their limitations and attach them properly.
African bodge fuel cap seal works fine.

well, they are sending me another one. 3rd time lucky... Lets see how this one goes... I hope it works 🙏

When i had mine there was a knack to lining up the cap and the seal for it to not leak. You also had to not over-tighten it either, or it would also leak. It was a fiddly bugger, but a useful thing.

Back
Top Bottom