Dodging a bullet in the gearbox

Magwych

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For one reason or anther my R1200GSA is stripped down to virtually every last nut, bolt, washer and not-so-shiny bit.
Stripping the gearbox shafts to fit new bearings I spotted that the input shaft shock absorber looks like it is about to explode. The photos show the cracks that I spotted in the internal components and the outer casing of the shock absorber.

The internals have shattered into at least 5 pieces. Each of the tabs has at least one crack in it. I did strip it further to confirm the damage, but reassembled it before I took the photographs.

Glad I spotted it before I put it all back together again.
20150622_201857.jpg

20150622_201819.jpg

20150622_201810.jpg

20150622_201802.jpg

20150622_201755.jpg

20150622_201735.jpg

So, anyone got a complete shaft or the shock absorber they want to sell on? If you have a shaft with worn splines I can strip off the part I need.

All casings have been emptied and sent off for soda blasting, then powder coated in a matt gunmetal.

For the gearbox new bearings and seals, plus replacement for that predamper thingy.

The engine gets new main bearing shells, big end shells, 3 new cam chains , new tensioner blades for the chains and new pistons (Wossner).

Desert sand (RAL 1002) will be the colour of the frame parts after stripping and powder coating; the same colour will be used on the body panels.

Drive shaft UJs were replaced by MikeyBoy, and a new lower pivot bearing on the final drive.
That last one was the catalyst for the whole operation.

I hope you've got something else to ride this summer. That lot sounds like it might take a while.
Your bike will end up like 'Triggers broom'. I'm super envious that you've managed to put so many miles on it.
I'll be watching with interest.

That is the least of my worries. Thsi is what the engine looked like once I got the frame and gearbox off it:

20150601_192342.jpg

That's 7 years and 150,000 miles for you..

The top of my engine looked much the same. Same age but only 50K miles. To be fair it had probably suffered a brake fluid incident because the frame strut was badly rusted in one area v
I scraped off the clag cleaned the metal with a power drill wire brush (& dremmel for awkward corners), etch primed and painted.
Brother's 08 has recently had the front cover refinished. There was as much corrosion hidden under the belt covers as there was at the bottom edge. Who knows what the top of his engine looks like.

Yep it looks like someone had been spraying brake fluid around the ABS unit. It had 2 recalls for the rear brake line, and I had a local independent replace the clutch plate around the 100k mark. He torched all of the engine mounting points to get the subframe off the engine. Combine the torcjing with brake fluid spillage and I understand why the paintwirk looked complete, just not actually connected to the engine.
In the meantime I have my 690 Enduro for the daily 110 mile round-trip commute :)

Funnily enough all those at the front that had not been moved since the factory were also fine. I have no idea why the others were torched. There are other items that I was not happy with.
I have never returned and will continue to stay away from that place.

So BMW say that the input shaft that I have has been superseded by a new part, which is retro compatible. Wonder if they noticed that this is a weak part? 3 second shafts I have looked at were as bad, or worse.
I ordered the new part, the old one is no longer available to order.
Think we can all guess what happened next...
"That part is not currently available. We are not able to provide an estimated availability date. No further information will be available for 2-3 weeks"
Guess I will keep checking the second hand gearbox market.
Meantime, I cocked up my parts ordering and have 2 sets of new gearbox bearings. Anyone in need of new bearings fir their 'box?

Back
Top Bottom