Engine runs - but no instruments!!!

it would be wise to check the alternator output volts before fitting the new ZFE. A failed voltage regulator could cause all sorts of weirdness.

Good idea Bendy. Any idea how to do this? Can it be measured at the battery terminals with the engine off then running?

Same as a car test via terminals should be around 13 to 14.5 volts in good order engine running

Update: Got a call from the dealers early this morning to say my new ZFE was in - hooray!!!
The guy then told me I'd have to reassemble my bike with the old knackered ZFE installed, ride it to the dealership (or trailer it) to have the old info sucked out of it, then have the technicians put a new ZFE on my bike and then download the correct info on to it - booooo!!

Alternator test revealed everything in good order, so I went to the dealers this afternoon in the knowledge that I did everything I could to narrow the problem down.

At the dealership the technician plugged my bike in to the BMW computer and said that the ZFE was indeed toast, but after downloading the software from the old ZFE into the new one there were still problems with lights and the brake light. Anyway, they sent me home on a brand new RTLC and said they'd troubleshoot the problems tomorrow and hopefully get to the bottom of things. I asked about a goodwill gesture from BMW as it was a youngish bike with low miles and in VGC with a FSH, but the parts guy seemed less than enthusiastic about the idea. I'll let you know the results tomorrow hopefully.

Update: Got a call from the dealers early this morning to say my new ZFE was in - hooray!!!
The guy then told me I'd have to reassemble my bike with the old knackered ZFE installed, ride it to the dealership (or trailer it) to have the old info sucked out of it, then have the technicians put a new ZFE on my bike and then download the correct info on to it - booooo!!

Alternator test revealed everything in good order, so I went to the dealers this afternoon in the knowledge that I did everything I could to narrow the problem down.

At the dealership the technician plugged my bike in to the BMW computer and said that the ZFE was indeed toast, but after downloading the software from the old ZFE into the new one there were still problems with lights and the brake light. Anyway, they sent me home on a brand new RTLC and said they'd troubleshoot the problems tomorrow and hopefully get to the bottom of things. I asked about a goodwill gesture from BMW as it was a youngish bike with low miles and in VGC with a FSH, but the parts guy seemed less than enthusiastic about the idea. I'll let you know the results tomorrow hopefully.
Good luck!

Got the bike back yesterday afternoon and all is well again. The old ZFE's software was that corrupted that when they sucked it out of the old unit it didn't make sense to the new unit (that's what they said anyway). Apparently I've now got the latest software and hardware installed. So I'm back where I started minus the best part of £500 (and the usual missing couple of fasteners that never seem to make their way back into your fairing panels).
Thanks for all the help and advice chaps.

Surely the bike is better with the latest computer gubbins so why would they need to collect the old software?

Do we have any idea why the old ZFE failed?

The bike feels exactly the same as before.
No idea why the old one failed, "they do that sometimes sir, that'll be 500 quid please".

Back
Top Bottom