Ensuring the routes are the same - In MRA or BaseCamp

Indeed it would, Lee.
Unfortunately, I cant help there as I have just posted what the XT owner sent me. All I know is it was calculated on the shortest distance, which I thought an odd choice.

Unfortunately, I cant help there as I have just posted what the XT owner sent me. All I know is it was calculated on the shortest distance, which I thought an odd choice.

OK.

That sounds very much like the person that created the route did nothing more than put in two towns and asked the software to give him the shortest route between them.

How this then produced straight lines for you and others is a mystery, all but impossible to solve without more help. Me? I suspect that there is something simple (but fundamental) wrong with the route as created originally, not helped by the fact that:

A. It is very long.

B. There is not one shaping or via point or waypoint in it.

But hey, I could well be wrong.

:beerjug:

Intrigued by the problem, I asked MyRoute to give me a route between Ouistreham and Limoges ie. mirroring exactly the simple A to B route, created by the OP’s friend.

It spat out exactly the same route as shown in post #3, inch for inch. Post #3’s route, was be generated by My`Route from the file in post #1.

I think:

A. The file in post #1, maybe does not contain a route or even a track at all. I think it perhaps just contains a start point (Ouistreham) and an end point, Limoges. In short, A and B, but perhaps nothing concrete in between.

B. This would explain why Pocket Earth displayed a straight line; there is no data (other than points A and B) for the app to latch onto.

C. I can also create a straight line in MyRoute by asking it to import a track version of the data in the file in post #1. It too, then displays a straight line, running between A and B, Ouistreham and Limoges.

IMG_5092.png

D. This might perhaps explain the straight lines shown in various different GPS devices. They have each done their best, with nothing but points A and B.

I am happy to be proved wrong but I smell a strong pong of human error, I’m afraid. If so, better to realise now, than when rolling off the ferry in Ouistreham. Actually, thinking about it, that would be OK. Just do what I think the OP’s mate has done…. Ask the dumb (but very clever) GPS device to “Take me to Limoges, shortest distance”. It will do it, without complaint.

What to do now?

1. Maybe create a proper route A to B, taking the roads you want to take, rather than one being spat out by a dumb (clever) piece of software.

2. Perhaps wonder whether you need one route that long. If you do, great. If you don’t, break it up.

3. Make sure the file you share between you all, does contain some meaningful data, or at least something beyond (and between) A and B.

4. Check it all and then check it again, once it is installed and displayed on your assorted GPS devices, preferably well before you leave home.

5. Enjoy your holiday.

6. Buy a map; you may yet need it.

Last edited:
Intrigued by the problem, I asked MyRoute to give me a route between Ouistreham and Limoges ie. mirroring exactly the simple A to B route, created by the OP’s friend.

It spat out exactly the same route as shown in post #3, inch for inch. Post #3,was created in My`Route from the file in post #1.

I think:

A. The file in post #1, does not contain a route or even a track at all. I think it just contains a start point (Ouistreham) and an end point, Limoges. In short, A and B, but nothing concrete in between.

B. This would explain why Pocket Earth displayed a straight line; there is no data (other than points A and B) for the app to latch onto.

C. I can also create a straight line in MyRoute by asking it to import a track version of the data in the file in post #1. It too, then displays a straight line, running between A and B, Ouistreham and Limoges.

View attachment 308840

D. This would very probably explain the straight lines shown in various different GPS devices. They have done their best, with nothing but points A and B.

I am happy to be proved wrong but I smell a strong pong of human error, I’m afraid. If so, better to realise now, than when rolling off the ferry in Ouistreham. Actually, thinking about it, that would be OK. Just do what I think the OP’s mate has done…. Ask the dumb (but very clever) GPS device to “Take me to Limoges, shortest distance”. It will do it, without complaint.

What to do now?

1. Maybe create a proper route A to B, taking the roads you want to take, rather than one being spat out by a dumb (clever) piece of software.

2. Perhaps wonder whether you need one route that long. If you do, great. If you don’t, break it up.

3. Make sure the file you share between you all, does contain some meaningful data, or at least something beyond (and between) A and B.

4. Check it all and then check it again, once it is installed and displayed on your assorted GPS devices, preferably well before you leave home.

5. Enjoy your holiday.

6. Buy a map; you may yet need it.
Morning Richard. Thanks for your efforts with this, I’ll have a go with some waypoints added. I know that we get off the ferry in Caen and are finishing at the campanile Gare in Limoges.

Morning Richard. Thanks for your efforts with this, I’ll have a go with some waypoints added. I know that we get off the ferry in Caen and are finishing at the campanile Gare in Limoges.

Excellent. Just 300 miles for you to fill in :D

Let’s see what it gives us then.

Whilst we are on the subject, MyRoute ‘Gold’ has the ability to compare routes in HERE maps (Garmin) and TomTom’s mapping. That said, I can’t remember if any of your party was using a TomTom and it’s too far back to post #1 to look.

Edit: That was too idle. None of them are using a TomTom.

Last edited:
Can't stand suffering!

Attachments

• Caen-Limoges.gpx
    383.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Caen-Limoges.kml
    177.5 KB · Views: 1
Can't stand suffering!

Yup, that GPX file the same as I displayed in post #3 in MyRoute.

The KML file, in Google MyMaps looks pretty much the same, too.

I am though not too sure if it:

A. Is the same as the OP’s mate created, as Lee’s version seemed to differ. That though is maybe down to routing preferences, as the OP’s A to B route contains no shaping points, that I can see.

B. Answers the OP’s question about straight lines, when displayed on assorted GPS devices.

Anyway, he’s currently away amending the route and / or pinning it with via points.

:popcorn

I downloaded the OPs' route and ran it through BC. All of 30seconds work- I'm exhausted now- I best get up and shower as it seems to be daylight!

P S
New Garmin Express out
V 7.20.0.0

I downloaded the OPs' route and ran it through BC. All of 30seconds work- I'm exhausted now- I best get up and shower as it seems to be daylight!

P S
New Garmin Express out
V 7.20.0.0

Indeed, it downloads and displays a ‘route’ (or a version of a route) in seconds. Now…. Why is the route displaying straight lines on the OP’s and his chums’ devices?

Last edited:
Suggestions could be:
Damaged hardware in unit
Corrupted software in unit
Different maps
Different logarithms
Different mapping software
Human error by forgetting what settings they have put in by default or through not understanding theur units.
And so much more.

Without criticism aka no buns please: :rob
I suggest keeping things simple with as little chop-&-change as possible. Every single variance in settings will cause recalculations and potential issues on one unit but not on another.
Certain software will write a different code in the map header which can make the map invisible to BC and will work/not work on certain devices.

Unless one is prepared to invest a lot of learning time with all the effort and headaches that entails, best route (pardon the pun) is to keep things as simple as possible.
And so it goes on.

Last edited:
His mate has kept it simple A to B, shortest distance :D

It’s the next bit, ie. the technical bit of getting it into a dumb device, which has him all at sea.

I spoke to the chap who created the route. Apparently, he used the Tread app, with as stated the start/finish point and shortest distance as the only input. He does not have BaseCamp or a computer, just an iPad and his brand new XT2.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, luckily I kept my maps.

Garmin’s Tread app has, shall we say, very mixed reviews.

If he has an iPad he can access MyRoute (Basic) for zero cost and maybe solve some of his / your woes at a stroke. Failing that, you create the route(s) in your BaseCamp. Either way, a problem solved or at least halved. As the saying goes, a problem shared is a problem given to someone else.

Enjoy your holiday.

:friday
but as quickie- I've never quite fathomed the absolute need to have routes planned etc.
As Richard says, turn on your sat nav and choose 'find' where you want to go and let the satnav weave its magic and take you there.
And if, by any chance you are not happy with the routing, you KNOW it has to do with a setting in the sat nav which needs changing ( like avoidances, shortest etc etc) and the fix is easy and quick.
I hope I have offended as many 'wonderwheels' as possible :green gri !!
Simples- has worked for me since 1998
Bon Voyage!

:friday
but as quickie- I've never quite fathomed the absolute need to have routes planned etc.
As Richard says, turn on your sat nav and choose 'find' where you want to go and let the satnav weave its magic and take you there.
And if, by any chance you are not happy with the routing, you KNOW it has to do with a setting in the sat nav which needs changing ( like avoidances, shortest etc etc) and the fix is easy and quick.
I hope I have offended as many 'wonderwheels' as possible :green gri !!
Simples- has worked for me since 1998
Bon Voyage!

It’s useful to have some idea of what’s around though. Did the “take me there” thing on my first trip to Romania and skilfully managed to avoid the Transfagaran route and take the parallel boring one instead in blissful ignorance, since it was well before Clarkson had made it famous.

Had to go all the way back to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom