Fly Drive to South Africa

Namibia then neighbouring countries would be my choice, great and generally peaceful places. You can even put your vehicle on a roro ferry that goes to Walvis Bay from the UK, if you're renting a 4wd campermfor 4 weeks or more it can be cheaper. All those German overland trucks didn't all get there the hard way.
If I still can't go to Mongolia next year it's one of our options.

We were planning to return to Southern Africa over the Xmas and New Year period next year when it’ll be our 20th wedding anniversary. If we can work out a way to deal with the issue of leaving our granddaughter who’ll be 17.5 by then alone for 3 weeks we’ll still go but I wouldn’t give our chances a rating of better than 20% right now.

Going for a look at Namibia was one of the options we’d considered because the only times I’ve been previously I was heading for the border with Angola so saw no more than Windhoek airport then Ruacana power station.

Looking at some big holiday options for next year as me and Claire have a significant birthday each.

Almost pressed the button on Cuba but found out that if I go there, I won't be able to get back to the US on an ESTA so that's not happening.

We've been looking at a Fly Drive in South Africa from Capetown along the garden route and a safari at the end. I'm good with it but Claire is worried about safety in SA as you hear all sorts of horrific stories. Anyone done it?
The USA should really get over the hissy fit they started with Cuba 60 years ago - it's not a good look... 🤦‍♂️

I’m in a gated secure compound in Johannesburg as I type this .
Come here regularly for work .
Lovely weather , very cheap , great food BUT probably the last country I would come to on holiday .
Only recently a colleague went for a run outside the compound and was stabbed . Crap runner obviously.
We’re even supposed to not use Ubers as they get attacked.
Numerous colleagues have been mugged over the years . Beautiful country but one I’d avoid for a holiday .

🤣😂🤣

As much as wanted to go to SA, it wasn't for Claire so we've settled on...........Spain :oops:

We've booked a 12 day city trip and going to spend some time in Seville, Cordoba, Granada and Rhonda which will be really good. We booked via Trailfinders and got some great hotels, tours etc sorted.

I've ridden and driven trucks past all these places over the years and always wanted to explore the cities so it's a win win.

Sometimes, good things are right on your doorstep. :cool:

seeing as chris mentioned cuba (mmm gibson brothers :D )

stupid (maybe) question

the not getting into usa if been in cuba

can you hold an esta and a visa at the same time?

Im from Uk and stay in George (garden route) In the 13 years weve lived here the only instance of crime weve experienced is a car jammer used to break into the car. Ive never once been worried while on my bike. Its biking heaven, plenty fantastic, roads and mountain passes, loads of cheap places to stay and food and drink also very cheap. I think if you stick to the Western Cape your a lot safer than the rest of SA. There are power cuts, but average 2-4hrsper day, lots of accomadation now installing solar power and invertors, so you dont even notice, same goes for the restaurants. As mentioned above a ride up to Namiba also good, bt pick the correct time of year, and not when its 42 deg like i did in February.

seeing as chris mentioned cuba (mmm gibson brothers :D )

stupid (maybe) question

the not getting into usa if been in cuba

can you hold an esta and a visa at the same time?

My experience (after a trip to Iran, also in the blacklist) is that you are no longer elegible for ESTA and need to go through a long and expensive process to get a visa ….interview waitlists are currently very long, I hear. Hope that helps. I got a 10 year visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as wanted to go to SA, it wasn't for Claire so we've settled on...........Spain :oops:

We've booked a 12 day city trip and going to spend some time in Seville, Cordoba, Granada and Rhonda which will be really good. We booked via Trailfinders and got some great hotels, tours etc sorted.

I've ridden and driven trucks past all these places over the years and always wanted to explore the cities so it's a win win.

Sometimes, good things are right on your doorstep. :cool:

Good decision .
Only this week a mate at work got abducted, tortured and robbed in Joburg.
The last country I would ever take my family to on holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom