Importing R100GS to France

Simondo

Reaction score
Hi,

Living in France and now have the bike here too.

Anyone imorted a bike into France recently? All tips welcome.

Cheers

Roynie and I live in France and have successfully imported a 2005 1200GS and a 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050. Apologies to Piaf, as I didn't explore that link and thus this might be redundant info, but ...

A word of warning if importing a bike built before June 2002. Before his Tiger, Roynie had a much cherished Triumph Trophy 1200, which he hoped to import to France when we moved there in 2007. The story is long and tedious, so I wont bore you with it. After several months ping-ponging back and forth between Triumph UK, Triumph France and the DRIRE in Toulouse, it turned out that Triumph never put the Trophy through the "new" type-approval process for import into France.

The long and the short of it was that Triumph Trophies that were already being used in France were fine, but without type approval Triumph could not issue a Certificate of Conformity. Roynie could have pushed ahead with a single-vehicle type approval, but the cost would have been more than the value of the bike.

Instead, he reluctantly took the Trophy back to the UK and px'd it for the new Tiger.

Only my personal experience, but . . . . Unless you have a euro certificate of conformity (and obviously you don't) you'll have a hard time.

I tried to import a vfr750 when I first had a place in France and I gave up.

Like many things in France, a lot depends on the individual responsible for your case. Unfortunately discretion and contacts will have a lot to do with whether it works out for you.

Finally, if the DRIRE become involved, I'd just walk away.

Hmmm. sounds grim... I've contacted BMW GB who say that the CoC isn't available for bikes of its age (1989) and have put me on to BMW France...."there may be trouble ahead....":augie

And my personal experience was with a 1999 Hornet and a 2002 F650GS.
Yes I did get both of them French registered.
But I wouldn't do it again.
If I'd known all the grief and hassle it was going to cause I would have simply bought something already French registered.
More expensive yes, but grief and hassle free.
Bonne chance.

Only my personal experience, but . . . . Unless you have a euro certificate of conformity (and obviously you don't) you'll have a hard time.

Finally, if the DRIRE become involved, I'd just walk away.

Don't panic. The DRIRE can be very helpful.

The Certificate of Conformity makes it easy to import post 2002 bikes within Europe, as it proves that the bike is type approved, i.e. has gone through all new European road-worthiness tests. That doesn't mean that pre-2002 bikes cannot be imported, but the bikes will not have been subject to the same tests. The process below is the same in any event.

You need to obtain the Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer's Homologation Department in the country you are importing to. The UK will happily supply you with a Certificate of Conformity for new BMWs, but when you come to present it at the Sous Prefecture, you may find that the homologation number (part of the VIN) is not recognised and you will find yourself back at square one.

When you contact the local HQ, the Homologation Department will ask you for a lot of details about bike, VIN no., tyre sizes, etc., etc. They will then tell you what modifications are required. You will probably need to have any work done by a main dealer as the department will need an authorised dealer's statement that the modifications have been done.

Assuming they are satisfied, the manufacturer will then issue either a Partial Certificate of Conformity or an Addendum to your UK Certificate of Conformity.

In addition to changing the headlight, Roynie had to have his UK-spec Triumph Tiger restricted to 71Kw (? not sure) to meet French standards. He was issued with a Partial Certificate of Conformity, and the modifications then had to be verified by the local DRIRE, who then sent the paperwork off to the Sous Prefecture on our behalf.

In the process of trying to register, firstly, the 1200 Trophy, then the Tiger, I had many conversations with the DRIRE in Toulouse and, apart from a certain exasperation over the unhelpfulness of Triumph's Paris office, the guy was polite and helpful. It isn't a particularly onerous process, but it does help if you are a fluent French-speaker, conversant with administrative jargon.

Bm France

Bm france were very helpful in providing me with an attistation for my 2000 gs 850, however they did charge me 175 euro for the pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom