Impressed

Buttertub

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I took my 1200gsa in Friday for a new tyre/ MOT and the dreaded bung fitting so i thought i'd book a loaner in case in took a while. i'd originally booked a GSA so i could fit my rear BMW bag to the rack but for some reason there wasn't one and the first offering was a GS but the bag wasn't a straight on/off like the GSA so i said no, second up was a 1600 and that was an even bigger no no where i planned to go, third up was the 850 adventure with the same rack so i said yes i'll give it a go.

I must say i was very impressed and it turned out to be very enjoyable, the handling was sweet enough, size wise it was similar height and felt roomy enough. The screen was obviously smaller but it very effective. It didn't quite have the planted feel of the GSA but that's probably down to less bulk. Performance wise i'd say there ain't that much in it between that and its bigger brother and when its pushed it certainly moves. All the power anyone needs in the real world.

I had a decent ride on it and thought i'd be just as happy riding this as my GSA so when i come to change it will definitely be on the list and price wise they seem decent good value. Next time i might give the alloy wheel version a go as the spoked wheels do my head in when it comes to cleaning, but that's just me. I suspect the new transalp will be a similar mover performance wise and that was under consideration at some point down the line but the tubed tyres is an issue, for me at least.

I suspect the 850's are often overlooked but they shouldn't be. I'd certainly recommend a test ride and ideally back to back with the bigger brother. Its now definitely on my list of possible's for the future.

Thank you for posting, a useful read. I think it would be on my list of possibles for the future too

I traded a Triumph Scrambler XE for a 850GS in May 2021, Some people on here thought I was mad, and said so.

It's a great bike and probably better than my 1250GSA on the small backroads we have around here.

Love the bike and no regrets over the change.

Mike

Attachments

• 9 BLIND BECK 23 FEB 2023.jpg
    9 BLIND BECK 23 FEB 2023.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 276
That looks nice Mike, i think you made a good choice. Its opened my eye's as to how good they are. I like how the sat nav is up in view like the gs's, my loaner had in on the headstock which felt odd. Is that an official extra for the sat nav mount or after market ?

Its certainly on my list for the future after the test ride. I was looking at the transalp but the tubed tyres is a bit of a no no for me and one of these is very similar power to weight.

i'm not chasing extra BHP and a wee bit more torque which i cant use in the real world and 90+ BHP is plenty for me. I remember trading my bandit gt1250 ( it was mint with 20,000 miles) 3 years ago which was circa 90bhp and its something i still regret to this day.

I agree with you about the location of the Sat Nav mount. Personally I think it is downright dangerous!

The part I have on my bike is an official BMW part.

I believe it's called the BMW emergency services GPS mounting bracket, part number 65908544610

When I bought the bike in 2021 I ordered this at the same time. Jefferies (as it was then) had no idea about the part and I think it was the first they had ever fitted

It's very expensive for what it is (c£110) and there are cheaper alternatives. Check this out on the 850 forum (https://www.850gs.com/index.php/topic,1035.0.html).

Best Wishes

Mike

Its certainly on my list for the future after the test ride. I was looking at the transalp but the tubed tyres is a bit of a no no for me and one of these is very similar power to weight.

May I ask what is the aversion to tubed tyres ?
I ran a 2016 AT with tubes and had zero issues.
Admittedly I did buy tubeless wheels on my ATAS but not sure why I bothered.

If you have tubeless and get a gash, you cant fix it, whereas you can get a tube changed easily.

Ok, if you’re ‘lucky’ enough to just get a nail in a tubeless then you may be able to plug it, but the only puncture I’ve ever had would not have been fixable in this way.

I’m looking forward to my dealer getting in his demo Transalp any time soon and being tubed certainly won’t put me off.

Well you can fix a gash with sticky strings! I have twice recently and all within 10 mins and were off again,you can't do that with a tube can you?

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Well you can fix a gash with sticky strings! I have twice recently and all within 10 mins and were off again,you can't do that with a tube can you?

I guess how much you worry about these things .
I’ve been touring on bikes for over 35 years and have never been stranded due to a puncture on a bike with tubes tyres, and I’ve had dozens .
I wouldn’t rule a bike out simply because of that , especially as the Transalp has had rave reviews.
But that’s just me and I realise many on here are far more conservative in their buying choices .

ive had a tubed tyre tear on the valve stem, happened in smack head land in burnley on a Sunday afternoon, Frank from Shameless liked my KTM tho!

Tbh was a nightmare, AA said they are unable to fix tubed tyres. Ended up having to ride a mile with a pretty much flat tyre, followed by mr AA, to leave the bike in Accrington dealer, and then get a train home. Not put me off but I can see why people might avoid.

What Autogs said +1

I fail to see the argument for tubes over tubeless on a road bike and the argument for tubes on a dual-sport/adventure bike that's ridden on gravel and/or graded roads is at best tenuous. Tubes are for proper off-roading (and maybe sand roads, where you can lower the pressure a bit more). They are just a potential pain in the arse on a road bike. Where's the upside?

You say your only ever puncture couldn't have been fixed. I suspect the majority in here will have had the exact opposite experience - a puncture in tubeless tyre, easily fixed with a plug or strings which would have spoiled their whole day if they were on tubed tyres.

If I liked the TransAlp, the tubed wheels may not stop me buying it but the wheels would be straight off to BART for conversion to tubeless...

I guess how much you worry about these things .
I’ve been touring on bikes for over 35 years and have never been stranded due to a puncture on a bike with tubes tyres, and I’ve had dozens .
I wouldn’t rule a bike out simply because of that , especially as the Transalp has had rave reviews.
But that’s just me and I realise many on here are far more conservative in their buying choices .

I do, would do and have done

In 40 years of riding I’ve had 2 puncture’s with tubeless within 2weeks, both fixed roadside,
1 x tube including many thousands of off road,it makes no odds if you have the kit to repair the problem.
Don’t see the issue personally.
How many million cars travel the network nowadays with no spare or no idea how to change a wheel?

.... Next time i might give the alloy wheel version a go as the spoked wheels do my head in when it comes to cleaning, but that's just me.

I assume you mean the F750, I have one which suits me especially as I'm a short a**e.

A few things to consider if you're not aware.

Although sharing the same engine, they have a lower tune ~78hp I think.

They have much smaller screen which can obviously be changed but the manually adjustable screen bracket from the 850 also fits, however the screen to bracket hole spacing is different so you'll need an 850 screen as well.

Finding a bracket for mounting the gps high was a bit of a challenge, finally found one I liked but there does seem to be a lot of quite flimsy looking ones out there.

I have the F750 with the BMW adjustable touring screen and the BMW high level bracket, must admit it has completely transformed the bike, 70 something bhp not a problem for me. I keep having other riders comment that they like the lower ride height and looks of the bike. The high level bracket is very solid cannot notice any significant vibes with the Nav V mounted on it.

May I ask what is the aversion to tubed tyres ?
I ran a 2016 AT with tubes and had zero issues.
Admittedly I did buy tubeless wheels on my ATAS but not sure why I bothered.

If you have tubeless and get a gash, you cant fix it, whereas you can get a tube changed easily.

Ok, if you’re ‘lucky’ enough to just get a nail in a tubeless then you may be able to plug it, but the only puncture I’ve ever had would not have been fixable in this way.

I’m looking forward to my dealer getting in his demo Transalp any time soon and being tubed certainly won’t put me off.

I've had plenty of punctures over the years and just had one in my 1250gs. Bar one (see below) i've been able to plug them all and most of them have been found on pre inspection rides at home so the tyre hadn't deflated until i pulled the offending item out. For me its only a question of time before my next and with tubeless its odds on i can plug. So from my personal view i'd sooner plug and go rather than start replacing tubes at the side of the road. Just personal choice really.

The only time i couldn't plug was when the steel banding in the tyre snapped and the wires came through, the tyre had only done about 2000 miles and it hadn't had a hard life. That one was the back of an AA recovery.

I assume you mean the F750, I have one which suits me especially as I'm a short a**e.

A few things to consider if you're not aware.

Although sharing the same engine, they have a lower tune ~78hp I think.

They have much smaller screen which can obviously be changed but the manually adjustable screen bracket from the 850 also fits, however the screen to bracket hole spacing is different so you'll need an 850 screen as well.

Finding a bracket for mounting the gps high was a bit of a challenge, finally found one I liked but there does seem to be a lot of quite flimsy looking ones out there.

Yes, thats the one. I hadn't realised the different tune until i drilled down as i was too puzzled why it had the 850 engine and they badge it as a 750, but hey ho. I'm sure the bhp is still more than enough anyways. I was also looking at the nc750 as that gets good reviews and thats about 58bhp from memory. I've got another loaner booked in a few months so i might see about taking the 750 out if its available and if not i'll give the 850 another whirl as i quite enjoyed it.

Spend the money and get the BMW Emergency high level GPS mount. It's expensive but easy to fit and rock solid regardless of the road surface.

Back
Top Bottom