Kefalonia May 24

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm currently planning a trip to Kefalonia Greece in May 14. I intend to allow 7 days to get down there, 7 days with family and then take 7 days to get home.

I'm having great difficulty trying to confirm which Ferry Ports are operating or have in the past operated in May.

Any hints or rips in getting to Kefalonia would be great and portions around accommodation on the way down would be helpful (cheap).

Planning on 350mes a day ISH depending on which Ferry Ports. Ideally Bari but also Patras or Kyllini as well.

Any help much appreciated

@kevm did us a trip report last year which may help: -

@kevm did us a trip report last year which may help: -

Well reading that has made me book it. Leave booked, tunnel booked, Kefalonia apartment booked. It's happening!! May need to buy a Sat Nav!!

It’s easy. Enter Greece and head for Lefkada Via the causeway. Head down the east coast to Nydri. Ferry goes from there to Fiscardo on Kefalonia.
we went via the East coast of the Adriatic, but check your insurance. Albania isn’t in Europe communities so needs a green card and not all companies will issue one, and it’s a full document check at both borders.
you can buy the insurance at the border post but I don’t know how good it is.
if you decide to go down Italy and then via a ferry I can recommend the Igoumenitsa to Bari ferry service.

I've allowed 7 days to get to Kefalonia. Would you pre book accommodation or make it up as you go along?

I can see positives and negatives to both?

I've allowed 7 days to get to Kefalonia. Would you pre book accommodation or make it up as you go along?

I can see positives and negatives to both?
Booking.com is your friend.
Incidentally.it took us 6 days from getting off the ferry to getting to Lefkada. So you’re right on with your timing.
we stopped at Hoffingen, Maltatal, Karlobag, Sveti stefan, Logarro national park. Ending up in Vassiliki on Lefkada on day 6. Then taking the ferry to Fiscardo, Kefalonia on day 7.
we mainly followed the coast road down the Adriatic coast . Mainly it’s called the SH8.
we pre-booked the first 2 nights, then used booking.com around mid afternoon to book the nights hotel.
2 things to think about.
firstly, check the ferry runs at that time of year ( we set of late May, got to the Nydri ferry just in June )
secondly, the Albanians are crazy drivers. You ALWAYS need to be defensive.
Incidentally, if you decide to come back via Italy, the Igoumenitsa ferry port is an easy half day from Kefalonia.

please feel free to message me if I can be of assistance

Booking.com is your friend.
Incidentally.it took us 6 days from getting off the ferry to getting to Lefkada. So you’re right on with your timing.
we stopped at Hoffingen, Maltatal, Karlobag, Sveti stefan, Logarro national park. Ending up in Vassiliki on Lefkada on day 6. Then taking the ferry to Fiscardo, Kefalonia on day 7.
we mainly followed the coast road down the Adriatic coast . Mainly it’s called the SH8.
we pre-booked the first 2 nights, then used booking.com around mid afternoon to book the nights hotel.
2 things to think about.
firstly, check the ferry runs at that time of year ( we set of late May, got to the Nydri ferry just in June )
secondly, the Albanians are crazy drivers. You ALWAYS need to be defensive.
Incidentally, if you decide to come back via Italy, the Igoumenitsa ferry port is an easy half day from Kefalonia.

please feel free to message me if I can be of assistance
Thanks that's really helpful. I've decided to set off June 5th and allow 7 days to get there mainly due to ferry availability. I don't think they release Ferry Timetables until March ish.

I was thinking of getting to Patras for a better chance of a regular ferry?

Like the idea of stopping and using booking.com everyday.

I may well contact you nearer the time.

Thanks

I'm off there with the Mrs for our annual 7 day beach jaunt, but not biking it (unfortunately!). Looking forward to your trip report of what to do, where to eat and where not to go...:)

I can see positives and negatives to both
Thanks that's really helpful. I've decided to set off June 5th and allow 7 days to get there mainly due to ferry availability. I don't think they release Ferry Timetables until March ish.

Thanks

Thanks

Ooops. Don’t know what happened there. Anyhow
there are 2 ferries from Nydri, one morning and another in the late afternoon IIRC. so you could do it in 6 days if needed. As for going to Patras, it’s a bit of a waste I would imagine.

I’ve a Villa booked in Fiskardo next May…after this years ‘never again’ airport rigmarole I was tempted to drive/ride. Lot more expensive though, time and money

I’ve a Villa booked in Fiskardo next May…after this years ‘never again’ airport rigmarole I was tempted to drive/ride. Lot more expensive though, time and money
The reason I'm riding is because I got stuck in the Artic Circle, Finland for 42 hrs, 6 of which were sat on a plane waiting for it to be de iced. I got kicked off the plane for PTSD reasons. Swore I'd never fly again!! Yes expensive but good excuse to see the world by motorcycle 😀

Do remember if crossing to Greece on the day of catching the ferry to Kefalonia the clock will have moved forward another hour.. DAMHIK!

Back
Top Bottom