May Bank Holiday Camping

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A few of the Wiltshire RoSPA tutors a couple of times a year camp and ride, it’s usually the same few of us and we have covered much of the U.K. The typical format is meet up on a Friday and ride for lunch and on to a campsite, preferably close to a pub. On the Saturday we ride most of the day before a few refreshing ales and dinner. Sunday head home. There have been a few exceptions where the trip has required us to stay at several sites, such as the three highest pubs which we did last year.

This year we met at my house nr Salisbury and rode down the A30 to Honiton for an agreeable coronation chicken baguette. A373 to Tiverton, where we picked up the rather excellent A396, our tale end Charlie thinks we were followed by an unmarked Police rider on a Kawasaki sports bike. Next was the even better B3223 followed by the A39 to Lynton. The campsite was the excellent Caffyns Farm, possibly one of the very best sites we have used. The only small criticism was they stopped serving meals at 1830. The scrumpy brewed on the farm is excellent.

Saturday morning at 0830 we all had the Big Barn Breakfast, we rode many skinny lanes eventually ending up in Mortonhampstead for a coffee. As we all needed fuel, Morrisons at Tavistock was the next destination followed by the always reliable Fox Tor cafe at Princetown for a hand carved ham baguette and coffee. As we were getting tired we decided to take the direct route back to Caffyns Farm, at times I wished I was on the Himalayan not the Multistrada and felt guilty I was dragging Andy on his Pan European.

Back at the campsite we ate dinner and had another early night. It rained fairly hard a couple of times but was dry at 0700 when we got up, so packed up and left before the cafe was open. It was misty and rained all the way to Tiverton where we gave in and had McDonalds for breakfast, or their version of it.

After breakfast we split up with the others heading up the M5, I took the A38, turning up Monument road nr Wellington then to the A303.

310 miles, much of it on challenging roads in Devon, some of which are just as technical as many mountain roads in the Alps, Pyrenees etc, obviously much shorter. If your time is limited and you are within striking distance of Exmoor/Dartmoor there are masses of great roads, give it a try.

Attachments

• IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 218
Planning a Devon & Cornwall bank holiday trip at the end of May so added that campsite to my options.

Any other “must ride” roads that you’d recommend?

Planning a Devon & Cornwall bank holiday trip at the end of May so added that campsite to my options.

Honestly apart from the A361 we didn’t find a road we didn’t enjoy.

We contacted Caffyns Farm by Facebook messenger and were told no need to book, they have never been full. I should add they had a shop with lots of camping gear, food drinks etc.

A few of the Wiltshire RoSPA tutors a couple of times a year camp and ride, it’s usually the same few of us and we have covered much of the U.K. The typical format is meet up on a Friday and ride for lunch and on to a campsite, preferably close to a pub. On the Saturday we ride most of the day before a few refreshing ales and dinner. Sunday head home. There have been a few exceptions where the trip has required us to stay at several sites, such as the three highest pubs which we did last year.

This year we met at my house nr Salisbury and rode down the A30 to Honiton for an agreeable coronation chicken baguette. A373 to Tiverton, where we picked up the rather excellent A396, our tale end Charlie thinks we were followed by an unmarked Police rider on a Kawasaki sports bike. Next was the even better B3223 followed by the A39 to Lynton. The campsite was the excellent Caffyns Farm, possibly one of the very best sites we have used. The only small criticism was they stopped serving meals at 1830. The scrumpy brewed on the farm is excellent.

Saturday morning at 0830 we all had the Big Barn Breakfast, we rode many skinny lanes eventually ending up in Mortonhampstead for a coffee. As we all needed fuel, Morrisons at Tavistock was the next destination followed by the always reliable Fox Tor cafe at Princetown for a hand carved ham baguette and coffee. As we were getting tired we decided to take the direct route back to Caffyns Farm, at times I wished I was on the Himalayan not the Multistrada and felt guilty I was dragging Andy on his Pan European.

Back at the campsite we ate dinner and had another early night. It rained fairly hard a couple of times but was dry at 0700 when we got up, so packed up and left before the cafe was open. It was misty and rained all the way to Tiverton where we gave in and had McDonalds for breakfast, or their version of it.

After breakfast we split up with the others heading up the M5, I took the A38, turning up Monument road nr Wellington then to the A303.

310 miles, much of it on challenging roads in Devon, some of which are just as technical as many mountain roads in the Alps, Pyrenees etc, obviously much shorter. If your time is limited and you are within striking distance of Exmoor/Dartmoor there are masses of great roads, give it a try.

Sounds like a good time was had; what's the lone rider like for putting up and pulling down ; and is it inner first then flysheet or can it go up in one?

Sounds like a good time was had; what's the lone rider like for putting up and pulling down ; and is it inner first then flysheet or can it go up in one?

I’m ham fisted when it comes to camping gear and I find it easy to put up and take down and pack.

My route to setup is

Groundsheet
Frame
Liner
Top cover

I’m going to set up the door like a porch with two poles, for future trips.

I had a Hilleberg Soulo before, which was far too small.

Couple more pics, one showing the new half price JetBoil. Fastest cup of coffee, highly recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_2235.jpg
    IMG_2235.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2238.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 193

i've had the loneRider Tent & It's pretty quick to put up & pack away.

Inner up with the single pole system, then outer on.

It's a heavy tent for what it is (3.6KG) mainly due to the flysheet. The inner is complete mesh which is ok in warmer weather, but can be a bit chilly in the cooler weather.

My gripes with this tent were;
- weight (heavy for the small tent that it is)
- the outer can be hard to get good tension in to stop it flapping in the wind - and not make the door very hard to open/close.
- it condensates quite a bit as there are only 2 small vents on either side of the tent and that's it. And with the heavy/thick outer it does not breath well (not much space between floor and outer either for a flow of breeze).
- the flattish top section means when it rains, water pools and is noisy under heavy rain/persistent rain.
- due to the single pole system, and the outer has a lot of movement in the wind - mainly from the doors sides, which does rock the inner due to the connection.
Due to these points i was not confident about it when i was to be camping in wet & windy conditions. i upgraded to a Wild Country Trisar 2 - slightly smaller inner, but certainly more weather proof & 1Kg lighter overall.

Good points -
- it is well made
- internal space is good, you could get 2 side by side but no luggage (store it in the vestibules)
- tent pegs (Y-pegs) & guy lines are good
- packs size is small
- you can use the door as a porch - either use poles, or use guy lines to hang it from a nearby fence/Bike etc
- you can peg back parts of the tent to allow a breeze in

I'd highly recommend the Mena Farm Campsite. In a good location near Bodmin and close to most the tourist attractions in the part of the world.

Lots of good roads, its easy to stay off the main ones and follow the back lanes. Lots of spectacular scenery and coastal routes to ride without the tourist traffic!

I'd highly recommend the Mena Farm Campsite. In a good location near Bodmin and close to most the tourist attractions in the part of the world.

Lots of good roads, its easy to stay off the main ones and follow the back lanes. Lots of spectacular scenery and coastal routes to ride without the tourist traffic!

Thanks. I’ll add it to my list

While the A396 is excellent, for variation try the B3157 from Tiverton to South Molton then the B3227 towards Umberleigh; maybe loop with your original route, but as you say there a few bad roads in the area. Off the A39 to Hartland and down to the pub at Harland Point, if you like technical you'll love it as it's the course for Hartland Hill climb :eek: I live on the 3157 :thumb

Luxury! When I were a kid, we lived in puddle on side of road……

Strange, I always imagined the driveway to Wapping Towers as being too smooth for puddles and potholes :blast

While the A396 is excellent, for variation try the B3157 from Tiverton to South Molton then the B3227 towards Umberleigh; maybe loop with your original route, but as you say there a few bad roads in the area. Off the A39 to Hartland and down to the pub at Harland Point, if you like technical you'll love it as it's the course for Hartland Hill climb :eek: I live on the 3157 :thumb

Tell him his card will also be ok to use at the pub; they no longer have their own currency these days;; :D
My mates lad about to fire up the hill;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230502-123633.jpg
    Screenshot_20230502-123633.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 79

Back
Top Bottom