Nav 6 - Acquiring Satellites.....

Wegby

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

Does anyone have any thoughts on this 'issue' please?

I've got a Nav 6 on a 1250, which I've not been using much in the last couple of months due to the weather (I've an older 1200 that has the pleasure of being the commuter / winter hack).

Today, was the first time I rode it since early December and had roughly a 40 mile round trip for its first MoT. On start up, the Nav 6 didn't immediately power up - I presume the battery had gone flat, but a couple of miles up the road, it sprang into life and went through the longer boot up routine. When the map appeared, the message 'Acquiring Satellites' appeared on the top banner; usually this goes away after a few seconds, but didn't this time. It seemed it couldn't find a satellite all the way to the MoT centre, and gave a similar performance on the way home.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas?

Fortunately, today wasn't all bad, as the mighty steed passed the MoT without any advisories.

Thanks in advance - Guy

I would take it in the house and fully charge from a plug, then try again.
Just to rule out it feeling tired 👍

Reactions: Bem
I would take it in the house and fully charge from a plug, then try again.
Just to rule out it feeling tired 👍
Heading over to the garage to get in in a moment...

Due to recent lack of use, the nav's battery has been flat the last couple of times I've used the bike, so this will at least rule that out of the equation.

Charge it up.
Take it outside.
Turn it on.
Leave it to connect to the satellite.

Always have to do this if you take it overseas by train or boat or plane if it's been turned off for a while.

No idea why but it always seems to work, in a way that waiting for it to sort itself whilst riding around never does...

Charge it up.
Take it outside.
Turn it on.
Leave it to connect to the satellite.

Always have to do this if you take it overseas by train or boat or plane if it's been turned off for a while.

No idea why but it always seems to work, in a way that waiting for it to sort itself whilst riding around never does...

Adding…. With a clear view of the sky.

Because the satnav 'loses' its knowledge of the last position of the satellites - and has to reacquire them.

Thanks, Richard(s)

Following a full charge and leaving it outside for 5 minutes has worked. I guess that as it had insufficient charge to power on when I started the bike, it didn't get the time it normally has to figure out where it and the satellites were while I locked up the garage.

So I've learned two things with this episode, the other one being not to leave the 1250 for so long that the sat nav battery completely discharges! :cool:

Remember, if you leave the nav in the bikes cradle, it will be in sleep mode and will drain its battery prematurely. Best routine is to remove it from the bike, power it up, then power it down by holding the power button in. This ensures it is fully powered down.
If it’s not used for a couple of months, I would give it a charge in the house every now and then.

I have the 'new' cap version Nav 6

When it arrive in January I charged it up, played with it for a while and then put it away.

Last week I decided to check it and the battery was totally flat. Plugged it in and gave it a full charge.

When it came back to life I had to go through the procedure for a new unit.......chose country. language etc, Strangely all my Favourites has disappeared and I had to upload them from Garmin Express.

Very strange

Remember, if you leave the nav in the bikes cradle, it will be in sleep mode and will drain its battery prematurely. Best routine is to remove it from the bike, power it up, then power it down by holding the power button in. This ensures it is fully powered down.
If it’s not used for a couple of months, I would give it a charge in the house every now and then.
The nav does give you the option of sleep / turn off, when you cycle the ignition

Back
Top Bottom