New to me project bike

chris99

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning folks, I picked up my bike the other day knowing it needed work, so far it needs a alternator (cracked and seized) rear shock, pads and a service. The bike is a 2010 30th anniversary GSA but it has been reframed using a 2007 frame and associated documents, so tracking down the right parts is going to be fun. I'm going to ditch the ESA and go back to conventional suspension, I don't mind loosing a inch of height and maybe gaining a warning light. The question I'm in need of answering what year shocks will fit? I understand that they changed from WP to Showa but is the fitment any different, I'll wait to find out what I need before posting in the wanted but eBay looks like £250 for a pair and £150 for a alternator. Thanks

If this helps.
I have a 2012 GS I fitted Wilbers ESA shocks from a 2009 GS , Folk said the ESA would not be compatible but when I came to calibrate it it was only the centre preload position that was different ( one helmet +luggage).
I now have the 2012 esa motors fitted to the 2009 Wilbers.
The main difference between the showa and WP is the ESA unit on the front shock is bulkier but both seem physically interchangeable.
If doing away with the ESA it may be possible to switch it off in the ECU using the moto scan App.
Denz0 on this forum is the wizard regarding this suspension, He can also rebuild your rear shock.

Thanks for the reply, I've messaged denzo but no response, I think I'll go down the non esa route for now, if I get on withbthe bike then I'll get the shocks redone. It seems that the front shock has to come out to change the alternator anyway.

Thanks for the reply, I've messaged denzo but no response, I think I'll go down the non esa route for now, if I get on withbthe bike then I'll get the shocks redone. It seems that the front shock has to come out to change the alternator anyway.
No need to take front shock off for alternator change, easier to remove the fuel tank.

No need to take front shock off for alternator change, easier to remove the fuel tank.
I've got the tank off but can't find the angle to get it up through the frame

I've got the tank off but can't find the angle to get it up through the frame
You have to remove the sub frame pieces the ecu is mounted on iirc. I had to replace my seized alternator a few years ago, definitely left front shock in place.

You have to remove the sub frame pieces the ecu is mounted on iirc. I had to replace my seized alternator a few years ago, definitely left front shock in place.
Ak, OK. I'm changing the front shock anyway

Back
Top Bottom