Newer Sportster Roadster?

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone ride one, if so how are the ergo?
I've been keeping an eye out for a 2005-7 Roadster because it has what I like; twin discs, mid controls, cast wheels, 1200, comfortable ergo, and decent size tank.
But this 2019 pic'd my interest although I'm thinking I'd need to add mudguards F&R, and slightly higher bars which might require clutch cable and brake line. Anything else?

It looks like the footrests are quite a bit too far forward for the bars. I think, ideally, you'd want them just under the front of the seat, probably even with slightly higher bars.

Are those USD front forks stock...?

OK I'll look closer at the pegs. He say's it's all stock. Yes that model came with adjustable rear shocks, upside down forks, and twin rotors.

After looking closer I believe the pegs are stock. I recall siting on a new one a few years back and the only thing odd feeling was the bars being so far forward, and a bit low. But maybe that also distracted me from the peg location? This one is probably 2 hours away but I may stop at the local dealer to see if they would happen to have one I could sit on.
Many of the used Roadsters (2005-7) I find have been modded too much for me with stuff like straight pipes, forward controls, ape hangers, and most owners have tossed the stock pieces. I like that this one is stock and low miles but I'd want those mini mud guards replaced with real ones. Bars will be easy enough to change.

Looks like trade in value to a dealer is $8,080, retail selling price $11,000.

Last edited:
Anyone ride one, if so how are the ergo?
I've been keeping an eye out for a 2005-7 Roadster because it has what I like; twin discs, mid controls, cast wheels, 1200, comfortable ergo, and decent size tank.
But this 2019 pic'd my interest although I'm thinking I'd need to add mudguards F&R, and slightly higher bars which might require clutch cable and brake line. Anything else?

A Sportster “sport” might suit, if you can find one…

Never heard of them Doris, what years are they? I have been looking at XR1200's but they are going for more money and or have a lot of miles.

Last edited:
I had a rigid engine mounted Sportster Sport, great power but vibration spoiled it

Neither have I but the twin spark higher compression on the 1200 Sportster Sport really gives a pneumatic hammer effect through the bars.

I'd consider buying a solid mount Sportster if I could find a nice one, but that's a different bike for a different purpose than what I'm interested in at the moment.

Up for consideration is the 2019 Roadster linked in my post and now a 2008 Roadster that just showed up for sale locally. I don't know that much about Sportsters but my feeling is the 2019 is the better motorcycle, suspension in particular. But I'd want to raise the bars a bit, change footpegs, and will need to source and fit proper mud guards.
The older (and less expensive) 2008 is the final year of that gen Roadsters which started in 2004 with the rubber mounted frame. Incremental improvements over those 5 years that I know of included a larger front axle, FI, and for 2008 a larger 17 liter fuel tank. Over the newer gen 2019 it has proper mud guards, larger fuel tank, and better ergonomics (for me).
I've made an appointment with the seller of the 2008 to look it over this coming Thursday. Anything unique to this gen Sportsters I should look for?

Up for consideration is the 2019 Roadster linked in my post and now a 2008 Roadster that just showed up for sale locally. I don't know that much about Sportsters but my feeling is the 2019 is the better motorcycle, suspension in particular. But I'd want to raise the bars a bit, change footpegs, and will need to source and fit proper mud guards.
The older (and less expensive) 2008 is the final year of that gen Roadsters which started in 2004 with the rubber mounted frame. Incremental improvements over those 5 years that I know of included a larger front axle, FI, and for 2008 a larger 17 liter fuel tank. Over the newer gen 2019 it has proper mud guards, larger fuel tank, and better ergonomics (for me).
I've made an appointment with the seller of the 2008 to look it over this coming Thursday. Anything unique to this gen Sportsters I should look for?
I've toyed with the idea of taking a Roadster and putting higher bars on,along with mudguards, small screen, bigger fuel tank, pannier racks. Making a lighter tourer with the Roadsters better handling vs other Sportsters. Gets expensive though.

While that was my intention, you're right replacing mudguards, tank, pegs, wouldn't be cheap. I went ahead with the 2008 which was much cheaper plus it comes from the factory with those. 2008 is the only year Roadster that came with a 4.5 gallon tank here.

I took it out yesterday for 24 miles riding it for the first time just to see how it ran, and it runs rough and vibrates more than it should. But the neutral light which didn't work, now is. The petrol smells like varnish so I should have drained it. While waiting for new tyres (originals still on) I'll check plugs, wires, airbox, and maybe clean the injector. I'll also look closer at the engine mounts. It became quite apparent during the brief ride that the stock seat's not going to work so more $ to spend.
The weather's too nice to work on so I put it away after a quick clean.

Looks good, I'm not sure if we got that one here, I'll have a search. It does seem a shortcut to the concept if the suspension is half decent and it's got twin discs

Back
Top Bottom