Questions for owners

Flipper_Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had my ConnectedRide Navigator fo a week or so but only been on two short journeys with it so far.

Are there many owners out there yet ? I've got some initial questions....

1. In addition to connecting phone and headset to Nav, do users pair their phone and headset directly to bike….so that when you do NOT have Nav you can make calls/music etc. Experienced any issues with that ?
  2. Import your own POI ? (ie speed cameras)
  3. Connecting to hot-spot with iPhone is not automatic…..requires manual connection each ride. Anyone overcome this ? Without the hotspot it wont get traffic data, for example
  4. Adding music to device ? There's an option for Local Source but when I plug into my Mac - doesnt appear as an external drive... [Update: Writing this triggered a thought, so I plugged into a PC....the Nav comes up as an external drive here and there are a number of folders listed: Download; Music; Route; Pictures.
    I'm guessing adding some music to the folder and it'll appear. Need to work out why my Mac doesnt see it now...

Any other comments from owners ?

Connecting to hot-spot with iPhone is not automatic…..requires manual connection each ride. Anyone overcome this ? Without the hotspot it wont get traffic data, for example

This sounds like the same problem that bedevilled the 2023 ‘Big TFT screen’ 1600, which I think uses the same (or similar) system, except via its TFT screen, as opposed to a standalone box of widgets. I bought a cheap refurbished Samsung ‘Android’ phone to get around the problem. Lord knows if BMW ever fixed it, as I haven’t seen my 1600 since 01 June.

Need to work out why my Mac doesnt see it now...

This might simply be for the same reason that Mac computers do not see Garmin XT devices. It was, as I recall, a problem about the XT being ‘Android’ or some such. That though is just a guess. If I am correct, see the XT section for a possible workaround.

Last edited:
This sounds like the same problem that bedevilled the 2023 ‘Big TFT screen’ 1600, which I think uses the same (or similar) system, except via its TFT screen, as opposed to a standalone box of widgets. I bought a cheap refurbished Samsung ‘Android’ phone to get around the problem. Lord knows if BMW ever fixed it, as I haven’t seen my 1600 since 01 June.

This might simply be for the same reason that Mac computers do not see Garmin XT devices. It was, as I recall, a problem about the XT being ‘Android’ or some such. That though is just a guess. If I am correct, see the XT section for a possible workaround.

Were there any workarounds for the 1600 issue that you’re aware of?

Were there any workarounds for the 1600 issue that you’re aware of?

As I recall it was an Apple problem, which refused to remember the 1600’s wi-fi connection. I lost too much interest once I had bought the Samsung. There was, I think pages, about it on the US centric 1600 forum. Maybe they found a cure or BMW / Apple did? But maybe it woukd seem not, if your re-connection is failing.

Last edited:
I can confirm that Commander ONE (PRO - paid for version) - allows the Nav to appear on the Mac and files to be copied to it....

I have moved your two questions about:

1. The best place for SIM cards, to the pub.

BEST PRICE

2. Why you can’t hear music to the relevant sub-section.

NO MUSIC

This saves you hijacking your own thread and increases the chances of anyone who knows anything about SIM cards, spotting it.

Richard

Last edited:
Connecting to hot-spot with iPhone is not automatic…..requires manual connection each ride. Anyone overcome this ? Without the hotspot it wont get traffic data, for example
That's an iPhone thing.

The hotspot turns itself off after a period of time if it's not been used as it takes up a lot of battery.

The solution would be to get a MiFi (aka Personal hotspot) with it's own SIM card and find somewhere weatherproof to stash it (and possibly a way of powering it from the bike as well, depending on how long you ride for)

*** ignore the above :D - it would work, but it needlessly complicated because....

I just read up on the ConnectedRide Navigator - looks like it will take it's own Micro SIM. :thumb2

Just need to figure out how much data it uses and then go hunt for a SIM plan that is suitable.

That's an iPhone thing.

The hotspot turns itself off after a period of time if it's not been used as it takes up a lot of battery.

The solution would be to get a MiFi (aka Personal hotspot) with it's own SIM card and find somewhere weatherproof to stash it (and possibly a way of powering it from the bike as well, depending on how long you ride for)

*** ignore the above :D - it would work, but it needlessly complicated because....

I just read up on the ConnectedRide Navigator - looks like it will take it's own Micro SIM. :thumb2

Just need to figure out how much data it uses and then go hunt for a SIM plan that is suitable.
Yep - takes its own SIM but I'm a professional Northener (or I was when I left at 18 some years ago...) and dont like the idea of shelling out twice. Plenty of data on the iPhone plan - just want to use that. I've got a quadlock for the phone - so charge isnt an issue.

I'll keep digging and report back..

Edit - just about to leave in car (with it attached to car cradle) - car is a little further away from the house, outside home wi-fi range I suspect, and iPhone connected automatically ?! I'll check that the Home wifi is set to NOT auto-connect and this might be the trick when I jump on the bike in future (which is inside range of home wif-fi).

Last edited:
:D

You should have mentioned you were Northern :D

There's not likely to be a solution that doesn't require a manual intervention of some sort or a second SIM.

You could take the SIM out of the phone and pop it in the Navigator using a SIM card adaptor, but that's more of a faff than doing the hotspot thing that you're doing now.

If you can bear to consider opening the wallet up just a tiny bit then you could look at an IoT SIM as discussed in this thread - but you'd need to understand how much data you're using before choosing the right plan.

Didn’t EE do a dual sim arrangement if you had Apple Watch , enabling you to have both connected with one number??

Pity not similar set up ?!?

Skipper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Didn’t EE do a dual sim arrangement if you had Apple Watch , enabling you to have both connected with one number??

Pity not similar set up ?!?

Skipper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's Apple watch specific and it is a separate SIM - just digital.

As above, changing my home wifi to NOT auto-connect seems to have resolved the issue - it now seems to automatically join the hot-spot from my mobile - which is set (in the Nav) to auto connect.

Back
Top Bottom