R1200r 2015 LC starting issue

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I think this is a straightforward answer/question and similar across all BMW bikes. Went to start my bike today and it would not start with side stand down or up when in first gear with clutch pulled in. All via push button starter. I think it's the clutch micro switch..
  • Bike on side stand in neutral - starts
  • Side stand up in neutral, bike starts
  • side stand down in 1st, clutch in, nothing happens
  • ride down road, kill engine, try to restart while in gear - no start
  • ride down road, kill engine, put in neutral, bike starts
  • bike running, in neutral, bike stand down, bike cuts out (as it should)
Am I right in assuming its the clutch microswitch? Can I toggle anything to see if its loose, water ingress? Only had bike 2 months so not really come across this yet but its similar on all BMW models, so...thoughts please

common problem, especially if there are aftermarket levers

I believe there is some adjustment possible but switch failures are not unheard of

Have you changed the span adjuster?, if mine is on the smallest setting mine is as you described any other setting it’s fine.

Al.

Have you changed the span adjuster?, if mine is on the smallest setting mine is as you described any other setting it’s fine.

Al.
I cycled through it once to see. Then put it back on 1. So might be that. I’ll put it on 2 today and check. Thanks

I think this is a straightforward answer/question and similar across all BMW bikes. Went to start my bike today and it would not start with side stand down or up when in first gear with clutch pulled in. All via push button starter. I think it's the clutch micro switch..
  • Bike on side stand in neutral - starts
  • Side stand up in neutral, bike starts
  • side stand down in 1st, clutch in, nothing happens
  • ride down road, kill engine, try to restart while in gear - no start
  • ride down road, kill engine, put in neutral, bike starts
  • bike running, in neutral, bike stand down, bike cuts out (as it should)
Am I right in assuming its the clutch microswitch? Can I toggle anything to see if its loose, water ingress? Only had bike 2 months so not really come across this yet but its similar on all BMW models, so...thoughts please
I have just had this happen to my 1200 lc, took off the micro switch and used contact cleaner. moved the switches in and out, I could hear them working, reinstalled and everything is back to working as it should. Cost £3.00 for contact cleaner

I have just had this happen to my 1200 lc, took off the micro switch and used contact cleaner. moved the switches in and out, I could hear them working, reinstalled and everything is back to working as it should. Cost £3.00 for contact cleaner
I’ll give it a go. Funny enough moving the span lever a setting wider this morning it works. So I guess it might just be a combo of sticking and not used etc

Well, moved it back to position 1 this afternoon and all good, so guess it needs moving every so often. Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom