R1250GSA - LED Fogs and Denali D2's

Lard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

After some advice on best approach - I've got a Denali smartcan and a set of D2's already from previous bike, my new (to me) 2019 R1250GSA comes with LED fogs .... what is the best solution to re-use the D2's that I have?

Is it to replace the LED Fogs and re-use the brackets on the crash bars for a minimal/clean install? Or add the D2's as an additional set?

Do the LED Fog's flash/come on with Main beam (so would add light when D2's are programmed to come on) or are they completely independent via the switch in which case wouldn't integrate with D2's?

After some thoughts on what others may have done - if I had D4/D7's then would mount additional but D2's are likely just an upgrade over the OEM fogs and not worth purchasing additional mounts to use as may as well go all in with D4/D7's if doing that is my current thinking...

D2's are very, very bright and more than enough as a day drive light to keep the kamikaze 4 wheelers away. I've fitted mine to the usual underbeak bracket and wired them up accordingly doing a total strip down, including tank, to make a clean and professional install. I'm very happy with my D2's leaving the OEM fogs in place as well.

Ditto my Denali SoundBomb which fits snugly but perfectly between the forks and is earth shatteringly loud, then team that up with strobing D2's and a still working replacement BMW 5 series car horn .........4 wheelers are well and truly warned ;-)

Nice :) - yes after having a ponder will ordered the top bracket and fit them under the beak and leave the OEM ones in place, I did have a search for putting the bmw nano’s on a channel on the smartcan but seems the plugs are the issue to hook them up, would be nice to have them controllable also

Lard, sorry I never bumped into you at Bahnstormer yesterday, I presume your GSA was the one parked next to mine in the showroom.

Enjoy the new bike.

It’s only a matter of time before you follow my lead and get D3s too…!

a1b0561425d85a8afba8d0881d566c84.jpg

561cfc78e76dd404e413296a8f016698.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice :) - yes after having a ponder will ordered the top bracket and fit them under the beak and leave the OEM ones in place, I did have a search for putting the bmw nano’s on a channel on the smartcan but seems the plugs are the issue to hook them up, would be nice to have them controllable also

The Nano lights may indeed be controlled as welll, but it requires some light surgery into the wire harness.

The Nano lights are controlled from the bike as one output that is split into two after the connector, as a 'Y'.

If you want to controll them by using one channel, you split the cable harness between the connector and before the cable is divided into two. But if using two channels, you simply split the harness after the split.

You intercept the +12V wire only, and leave the remaining wires as is. If you are tempted to screw around with the ground or the sensing wires, this will lead to ZFE throwing a fault, and this unresolved fault will block for any further software updates to any system on your bike.

I seem to recall that the +12V cable is red and blue. You simply cut it and insulate the open end(s) on the +12V side of the harness. Then you connect the controller to the red/blue wire that leads to the lights.

I would recommend to remove the wire harness from the bike, doing the job on the bench, in order to be able to do a proper job.

yes - no doubt we both looked like a pair of grinning yokels - likewise! Already had mine apart to install stuff - enjoy!

The Nano lights may indeed be controlled as welll, but it requires some light surgery into the wire harness.

The Nano lights are controlled from the bike as one output that is split into two after the connector, as a 'Y'.

If you want to controll them by using one channel, you split the cable harness between the connector and before the cable is divided into two. But if using two channels, you simply split the harness after the split.

You intercept the +12V wire only, and leave the remaining wires as is. If you are tempted to screw around with the ground or the sensing wires, this will lead to ZFE throwing a fault, and this unresolved fault will block for any further software updates to any system on your bike.

I seem to recall that the +12V cable is red and blue. You simply cut it and insulate the open end(s) on the +12V side of the harness. Then you connect the controller to the red/blue wire that leads to the lights.

I would recommend to remove the wire harness from the bike, doing the job on the bench, in order to be able to do a proper job.

Ahh - that makes sense to me and many thanks for the direction - I will order another harness so that I can put it back if needed in the future

I have the Denalis with smartcan and I don’t rate it.

My main complaint with the smartcan setup is not knowing if they are on or not?
It really bugs me…. So much so that I wouldn’t have smartcan again, its costly and no better than a big switch on the bars
Being integrated sounds great, but since nothing is indicated on the dash or anything you have no idea whats going on.

Obviously in the dark you can tell, but on a sunny day when you just want to be seen they are next to useless.

Conversations with my mate in front goes as follows..

“Are they on…nope”
“Now?”
“Nope”
“What about now?”
“No”
“Now?”
“Yes”

Sun goes in and its overcast.

“Your lights are blinding people now, I would dim them or turn them off”
“I cant dim them as I cant see them flash”
Are they off…nope
What about now?
Nope.
“fuck it I will sort it when we stop”

Denali need to sell an indicator you can wire somewhere to avoid the situation above.

I have the Denalis with smartcan and I don’t rate it.

My main complaint with the smartcan setup is not knowing if they are on or not?
It really bugs me…. So much so that I wouldn’t have smartcan again, its costly and no better than a big switch on the bars
Being integrated sounds great, but since nothing is indicated on the dash or anything you have no idea whats going on.

Obviously in the dark you can tell, but on a sunny day when you just want to be seen they are next to useless.

Conversations with my mate in front goes as follows..

“Are they on…nope”
“Now?”
“Nope”
“What about now?”
“No”
“Now?”
“Yes”

Sun goes in and its overcast.

“Your lights are blinding people now, I would dim them or turn them off”
“I cant dim them as I cant see them flash”
Are they off…nope
What about now?
Nope.
“fuck it I will sort it when we stop”

Denali need to sell an indicator you can wire somewhere to avoid the situation above.

Never had any issues with mine at all.

How do you have yours set up/wired in/programmed to work day & night?

I have 2 x S2's & 2 x DM's.

S2's are on 40% Day / 20% night - they strobe with the horn & 3 flashes of high beam. And also go to max power on high beam
My DM's are on 2 separate circuits, with Amber lenses working as Sidelights, 30% brightness, and also work as indicators too.

There is function to adjust the brightness of your lights on the fly, or switch off altogether;

From their website;

BMWs with WonderWheel

Turn On/Off - Light Set One
Hold the turn signal cancel button for 3 seconds

Dim - Light Set One
Hold the WonderWheel left until lights flash (3 seconds) to enter "dim mode"
Scroll up or down to change light intensity

Turn On/Off - Light Set Two
Tap the turn signal cancel button 3 times fast

Dim - Light Set Two
Hold the WonderWheel right until lights flash (3 seconds) to enter "dim mode"

Ahh - that makes sense to me and many thanks for the direction - I will order another harness so that I can put it back if needed in the future

That is what I did too :okay :D

I’m pretty sure I have read elsewhere that the under beak bracket only fits the GS’s, not the GSAs.

Never had any issues with mine at all.

How do you have yours set up/wired in/programmed to work day & night?

I have 2 x S2's & 2 x DM's.

S2's are on 40% Day / 20% night - they strobe with the horn & 3 flashes of high beam. And also go to max power on high beam
My DM's are on 2 separate circuits, with Amber lenses working as Sidelights, 30% brightness, and also work as indicators too.

There is function to adjust the brightness of your lights on the fly, or switch off altogether;

From their website;

BMWs with WonderWheel

Turn On/Off - Light Set One
Hold the turn signal cancel button for 3 seconds

Dim - Light Set One
Hold the WonderWheel left until lights flash (3 seconds) to enter "dim mode"

Turn On/Off - Light Set Two
Tap the turn signal cancel button 3 times fast

Dim - Light Set Two
Hold the WonderWheel right until lights flash (3 seconds) to enter "dim mode"

Have had Denalis on two bikes now (same set) and like you have never had an issue with them. They have never failed to be on and easily controlled. With my OEM spots I never have them on all the time and when they are, I don't actually notice the on light on the dash anyway. I have them setup for daytime and nighttime running and full beam. Great bit of kit.

Have had Denalis on two bikes now (same set) and like you have never had an issue with them. They have never failed to be on and easily controlled. With my OEM spots I never have them on all the time and when they are, I don't actually notice the on light on the dash anyway. I have them setup for daytime and nighttime running and full beam. Great bit of kit.

Reading your comments it would seem my dont work as they should.
as i cant get the GS up stairs into the office to connect to my PC its as default lol

there is no day or night mode.
its either on or off, and can be dimmed.

but as the operating instructions listed by DJ123 thats fine off the bike in the garage, but at 70mph you can press all the buttons you want, you have no idea what mode you in or even if they are on or off?

I don't actually notice the on light on the dash anyway.

what light on the dash??????
ive had mine on the bike for 2 years and never seen a light?

I’m pretty sure I have read elsewhere that the under beak bracket only fits the GS’s, not the GSAs.
Looks like there's a specific one - this is what chainspeed supplied

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Reading your comments it would seem my dont work as they should.
as i cant get the GS up stairs into the office to connect to my PC its as default lol

there is no day or night mode.
its either on or off, and can be dimmed.

but as the operating instructions listed by DJ123 thats fine off the bike in the garage, but at 70mph you can press all the buttons you want, you have no idea what mode you in or even if they are on or off?

what light on the dash??????
ive had mine on the bike for 2 years and never seen a light?

Position yourself behind a vehicle and look at the reflection? That's how i usually check if mine are on/how bright they are and how they're working.

Looks like there's a specific one - this is what chainspeed supplied

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

All installed - ended up putting the bolts in upside down to improve the clearance on the side panels as were getting hung up on the thread bolt

Attachments

• 20220616_211458.jpg
    20220616_211458.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 60

Back
Top Bottom