Schwabisch Hall to Missen-Wilhams route

handscombmp

Reaction score
Now I’m fully expecting some ribbing from Wapping here but I need to help with a route from Schwabisch Hall to Missen-Wilhams.
To give a bit of background this is part of my euro tour for this year that I’ll be conducting in June by myself.
The day before I’ll be on some of the castle route before stopping at Schwabish for the night and then wanting to drop down to Missen-Williams on my way to the Italian alps.

I’ve had a look but can’t seem to find any good routes online with excellent roads or attractions on the way to stop at.
I’m not fussed if it’s a full days riding or quite a direct route but stopping at attractions. If it’s just riding I’ll normally do about 6 hours of riding time in a day, but can go to 8 hours if the roads are particularly worth it.
Otherwise if stopping at attractions I’ll obviously ride less to have enough time to enjoy them.
Attraction wise I like a bit of anything from engineering stuff like dams, bridges, to museums (I’m doing the Technik museum in Sinsheim) but also enjoy a good bit of natural beauty along with WW2 things.
Which is why I’m even more embarrassed I can’t seem to find anything.

Currently I’ve thought about heading towards Stuttgart to visit the Porsche or Mercedes museum or heading down to Lake Constance and seeing what I can find along the shore.

And before anyone asks the towns aren’t set so can tweak it if needs be but the day after I want to end up in Stelvio doing the Jaufen pass on the way.

Thanks all in advance

Small world, I was going to post a circular route in that region this morning.

To give bods a fighting chance of helping you, the town is here:

IMG_4933.jpeg

The other place is here:

IMG_4934.jpeg

Now that the Germans have allowed Google to turn on their excellent Streetview, you can use MyRoute’s equally excellent ability to show you the roads from the route above.

Here is a short sample:

IMG_4937.jpegIMG_4936.jpegIMG_4935.jpeg

I'd avoid Lake Constance. It can get very busy in the high season. Buy a Michelin map of SW Germany and look for the green highlighted routes in the direction you want to go.

The area, like a lot of Germany, is pretty much flat.
Buy a Michelin map of SW Germany and look for the green highlighted routes in the direction you want to go.

If only it were that easy. Fellow needs things to do, places to see, echoes of war……

Thanks all for the ideas.
After waking up early and not being able to get back to sleep I had a bit of a play.

I’ve come up with the below route which takes a stop at Nordlingen to look at a steam train museum before following the Romantic route south. Whilst I probably won’t stop to look at lots of the places it will at least give something to see when riding through.
I then peel off the route to avoid Neuschwanstein Castle, as I’ve done that before to, to enter Austria and enjoy some Michelin green routes before heading to Misen-Wilhams.
I know with the stop at the museum it will be a long day but this is what I’ve got so far. Thoughts everyone?

Ideally use smaller road… via Gschwend B19 to Schwäbisch Gmünd B298 , then towards Gesilingen 466/B10 and hit Ulm on the Danube. Well worth visiting as has a beautiful Cathedral with highest church tower ever and great old town.
From Ulm B30 towards Laupheim then turn east towards the small roads. L265 Ochsenhausen to Bad Wurzach- 465 to Leutkirch- 318 to Isny and from there to Missen…
Great roads.. have fun

I'd avoid Lake Constance. It can get very busy in the high season.
Why?

It’ll be June, not August. I must confess that I have only been to Lake Constance in late September, it was nice one day and the following it was mega wet. I will be (with a group of others) at the northern shore of Lake Constance this coming June to see it for myself.
When you say busy, I doubt it’ll be a problem for a solo rider, afterlife he will be on a motorcycle, and not driving an RV filled with wife and 6 kids.

Buy a Michelin map of SW Germany
Agree on buying a map. But not so much on the following.
and look for the green highlighted routes in the direction you want to go.
Then follow it, and a trail of slow moving native and foreign tourists too, who are reading same Michelin map and are focussed on a green highlighted route.
Meanwhile more than likely, you’d be missing out on some excellent routes running a mile or so parallel to it.

I am by all means not saying ignore green highlighted routes. Sometimes it might not be possible. What I am saying though, that be aware, it can be the equivalent of 50 other bids looking at the same map, making your progress somewhat slower than expected.

This place might be of interest to you., on the northern edge of Lake Constance.

Zeppelin Museum Friedrichshafen
490C2329-3642-458F-A9DB-4155ABC204A6.jpeg6B633243-EF64-4B05-B72F-3C7099E90CF5.jpeg
Good old Lake Constance or as also known Bodensee…great swim, loveLy view towards the Swiss side, clean water and good for a swim.
Picture from Xmas, had a swim myself or what’s called a cold water dip…..ahhhh
Obviously on the sunny days the lake road along the Northern part is very busy as everybody trying to catch a view…
Just get inland a few miles and the roads are yours..

As with many large lakes and, indeed, roads following a coast line, the roads can be congested at times. The reason, very simple: on one side there is a lot of water and on the other… um…. er….. fields or rock. Stretches of the E54 road alongside Lake Constance are highlighted in green and indeed they are scenic, with views over the lake or across the hinterland, the green border changing, to show which side of the road has the views. It does though mean that thousands of others might be saying: “Hey, it’s green lined….. let’s doooo it”.

Take the “Head for the green lined routes, mate” advice with caution. It is far from foolproof.

I'd avoid Lake Constance. It can get very busy in the high season. Buy a Michelin map of SW Germany and look for the green highlighted routes in the direction you want to go.

Depends where you go. The area can be lovely. My only caveat is to avoid the B31, not only along the lake but all the way to Freiburg as it is infested with trucks, motorhomes and miles and miles of solid white lines.

My little group is staying a few nights in Kempten in Bavaria, and we wanted to go east on the Alpenstrasse to stay near Tegernsee. I struggled to find accommodation that had enough rooms or a price we found acceptable.

We have decided to cross the border and stay in Bregenz in Austria on Lake Constance. Unlike Tegernsee, Bregenz had plenty of accommodation at a sensible price. We can take a nice route from Kempten down to Stanzach and then loop via Namlos and the Hahntenjoch to Egg and Bregenz. A day off mooching by the lake and then head north to near Wurzburg.

This place might be of interest to you., on the northern edge of Lake Constance.

Zeppelin Museum Friedrichshafen
Now that looks interesting. Although typically it’s in the opposite direction to the steam train museum I found!

But thanks all for the ideas everyone. Lots to think about

I’ll start a new thread once I’ve got my whole route for the trip put together. More so people can have a glance and advise me if I’ve missed some brilliant roads or good points of interests which can be added by easily tweaking the route

This might give you some ideas, just ignore the bit about the Black Forest. the biggest draw in the area:

Tap on the places on the southern end of this map:

Some might be very roughly where you might be headed and, as UNESCO sites are probably worth at least looking at, worth a detour:

These might have some inspiration or at least pictures around their articles. That being said, the magnet of the Black Forest often dominates the region. They translate OK in Google:

Bucketloads here but, as is most common, mostly circular rather than A to B, which is what you are looking for.

PS Still one of the best places for information on things to see and do, is a Michelin Green Guide or even the Rough Guide / Lonely Planet books.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom