Should I buy the BMW ConnectedRide Navigator or something else?

leadfarmer

He / Him / That Fucker
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
I have cut this specific question from a parallel thread.

Richard

=============

Just looking at options

My trusty TomTom rider 5 is no longer supported although maps still update

Trying to decide if I refit my homemade mount to the new bike or if I go OEM to use the mount and wonder wheel integration

A lot of people seem to sell the Connected ride cradle quite quickly, which suggests it’s not much cop, and my phone is an old shitter Samsung 7s as I’m not interested in phones

So that leaves the Nav 6 or the Connected ride navigator :nenau

Last edited by a moderator:
Review here. Seems it might be a bit of an immature product at the moment.

I would not buy a second hand Navigator VI, simply due to nothing more than the well publicised ghosting problems *. I would also hesitate from buying from new, the latest third generation version, until it had been proved that the ghosting problems were over.

I would, quite happily, buy a decent condition Navigator V.

If I was less bothered by the whirly wheel (which is very good) I’d happily buy an XT, first generation. I’d hesitate over buying the XT2 (second generation) as I do not like the way it appears to now restrict Bluetooth sharing of routes with other Garmin devices, other than through a separate Garmin app.

I have never owned a TomTom, so cannot voice an opinion either way.

I don’t know why so many people are selling their Connected ride cradles, or even if so many really are. Mine worked perfectly well on my 850 GSA. I do though still hesitate about using my phone as my sole method of communication AND navigation. Why? Break it and you are buggered. Richie, in a parallel thread in Travel Reports, had problems getting his phone to work in Morocco. It now works but, if it didn’t…….

* These are now accepted by BMW and Garmin as real, so we can accept that they are not some sort of “My Garmin is crap….” posted by one individual, whose mate has told him.

I don’t know why so many people are selling their Connected ride cradles, or even if so many really are. Mine worked perfectly well on my 850 GSA. I do though still hesitate about using my phone as my sole method of communication AND navigation. Why? Break it and you are buggered. Richie, in a parallel thread in Travel Reports, had problems getting his phone to work in Morocco. It now works but, if it didn’t…….
I've used a connected ride cradle with an old phone (Oneplus 6T) and found it perfectly adequate for what I need (A->B riding). No issues with charging the phone or vibration etc. The zoom in/out functionality is quite handy when riding - zoom in in built up areas and then zoom out on m/way etc. Note that it's possible to get these cradles new at quite a bit less than the original prices now. I paid £180 for mine from a BMW dealer so if buying 2nd hand expect the prices to be quite a bit lower with a bit of haggling.

I have never owned a TomTom, so cannot voice an opinion either way.
They’re more “general public“ for people who just want to enter an address or POI and get directions, as opposed to Garmin which were historically for people going places where there were not necessarily roads

I've used a connected ride cradle with an old phone (Oneplus 6T) and found it perfectly adequate for what I need (A->B riding)

This could be all I need, I’m a very basic user

They’re more “general public“ for people who just want to enter an address or POI and get directions, as opposed to Garmin which were historically for people going places where there were not necessarily roads

This could be all I need, I’m a very basic user
If thats the case an old phone mounted somewhere you can see it and Google maps could be all you need??

If thats the case an old phone mounted somewhere you can see it and Google maps could be all you need??
Altho' you still need to supply power and Google maps really needs an internet connection (SIM or hotspot). If those two things are already available to the OP then that'd be a good/cheap solution. Otherwise there are other apps with loadable maps and USB power supply options are 10 a penny. By the time the power and mounting options are added up it might still be cheaper/more convenient to get a 2nd hand connected ride adapter. Spoilt for choice really :)

My Nav 6 has been working perfectly for six years and I wouldn't think twice about risking another at the right price. As long as it was registered to Garmin then any issues even outside warranty should be dealt with as this is not a wear and tear issue. Fit for purpose would apply. I find Garmin easy to use and before I had to give up my GS I loved the whirly wheel.

Altho' you still need to supply power and Google maps really needs an internet connection (SIM or hotspot). If those two things are already available to the OP then that'd be a good/cheap solution. Otherwise there are other apps with loadable maps and USB power supply options are 10 a penny. By the time the power and mounting options are added up it might still be cheaper/more convenient to get a 2nd hand connected ride adapter. Spoilt for choice really :)
If you download the maps you need to your device, no connection is required. Download lasts one year.

At the moment. the forum’s For Sale section is carrying recent adverts for:

XT

Nav VI

Nav V

over the years i have tried the nav 5&6 also the connected app.and i still say the cheapest option is the best buy one of these

then use google maps on your phone and bluetooth it to your helmet
its simple cheap and it works

My Nav 6 has been working perfectly for six years and I wouldn't think twice about risking another at the right price. As long as it was registered to Garmin then any issues even outside warranty should be dealt with as this is not a wear and tear issue. Fit for purpose would apply. I find Garmin easy to use and before I had to give up my GS I loved the whirly wheel.

My first Nav VI worked perfectly. I sold it, still working perfectly, via the forum.

My second didn’t. I returned it to BMW and obtained a full refund, as opposed to an exchange. Why? BMW and Garmin both admitted that it was a lottery as to whether the Nav VI, editions one and two, would work reliably. They also admitted that the chances of either of the two devices working reliably were stacked against the owner.

I bought an XT instead, which has worked fine, not least as I turn off ‘auto-recalculate’ which seems to cause problems for users.

Garmin have now apparently launched edition three of the Nav VI, to cure the problems of editions one and two.

Last edited:
my bike was in for service last week and out of curiosity I asked how the new BMW Navigator was working out and was told they hadn’t seen one yet and just wait for the Nav 7 which will be along sometime in 24 to cure the problems of the Nav 6 and provide a natural upgrade path with the full functionality. No definite date.

Called my dealer today and asked him to add one to my order, decided to be posh and use the whirly wheel on the new bike

yes it’s totally overpriced but as they say “ain’t no pockets in shrouds”

It’s using TomTom map software so should be good hopefully, I’ll know in the new year :nenau

Back
Top Bottom