So youve filled Diesel in your R1250GS

Been there, done that. Fortunately on my R100RS.
I'd dutifully turned off the petrol taps before refuelling and realised before I'd turned them on again.
Drained the tank and refuelled with 5* .
It did start eventually, coughed and smoked for a bit. Obviously enough residual diesel around to cause that....

I had a Mercedes Van about 40 years ago when we had proper winters and the diesel used to turn to jelly in the fuel lines when it was below zero temperatures, the answer back then was to dilute the diesel with petrol by about 10 to 1 ( modern diesel fuel now has an addictive to prevent it being affected by ultra low temperatures ).

So nearly did this too.

On my way down to Portsmouth to catch the Santander ferry for a two week ride home across the alps.

Got the hose into the tank and the alarm went off inside my head just as I went to squeeze the trigger!

Am paranoid about it now and check, check and check again.

Didn’t realise this was so common. I always take a 2 second pause before filling my car or bikes because of fuel variation. The same way I always feel for key in pocket before closing car tailgate (I have done this one before!)
Maybe BMW should consider the Homer Simpson car thingy on their bikes……..or buy a tank bag to cause you pause?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t realise this was so common. I always take a 2 second pause before filling my car or bikes because of fuel variation. The same way I always feel for key in pocket before closing car tailgate (I have done this one before!)
Maybe BMW should consider the Homer Simpson car thingy on their bikes……..or buy a tank bag to cause you pause?!

I rode from Wales back to Manchester 2 weeks ago with the bike keys hanging out of my top box!
Really surprised none of the other bikers who pulled in behind me give me a shout?

Mistakes happen and like misfuelling its so easy if your distracted at the wrong time.

I rode from Wales back to Manchester 2 weeks ago with the bike keys hanging out of my top box!
Really surprised none of the other bikers who pulled in behind me give me a shout?

Mistakes happen and like misfuelling its so easy if your distracted at the wrong time.

Like standing in a room and no idea why you’re there?!

I had a Mercedes Van about 40 years ago when we had proper winters and the diesel used to turn to jelly in the fuel lines when it was below zero temperatures, the answer back then was to dilute the diesel with petrol by about 10 to 1 ( modern diesel fuel now has an addictive to prevent it being affected by ultra low temperatures ).
I bought a brand new fiesta diesel 1.6 in 1986 and the owners handbook recommended that you dilute the diesel with up to 25% kerosene in the winter. Had that car for 6 years and 147,000 miles. Ate one clutch and several glowplugs but apart from that (and changing the cam belt every 20,000 miles) was fault free.

Just giving an update here to round this out.
Prior to putting all of the plastics back on I steam cleaned the inside and back of them and also the lower parts of the exhaust and I started noticing stuck on dirt and tar. Really went all in with it. So.. not sure if related to my cleaning.. or the diesel burning off.

I did get a engine management code the next day, plugged in the ELM and basic carscanner. It showed P0479 which relates to exhaust exhaust pressure valve.. or as many know it as the flappy thingy.

Anyway I cleared code it came back after 3 ignition cycles. So decided maybe that it was stuck. Using just the ways guide

Stripped it all down, greased the bearings and put all back together.. cleared code and it came back in few ignitions.

So wanted to check if it was activated and moving. Stripped it down again so I could see the movement. It was slightly moving on ignition. So without taking the cables off I gave the valve flap a wiggle left and right 3 times and I think this might have freed up the cables. It's now code clear and it's self cleared on ignition.

Pretty sure my steam clean knocked dirt into the cable mechanism itself and not the valve or the bearings.

Bikes driving perfectly all in. Happy days !

I put diesel in my Husky 701 a couple of years back.

Trailered it home. Pumped out the diesel like the OP did. Put a couple of litres of petrol in and swished it about, then pumped it out again. Re filled with petrol. Turned on ignition and intermittently pressed start until it did. It was a bit smokey for a short while but that was it. No mucking about purging pipes and injectors.

We did the same in France , tipped it up drained it off , re fuelled fine, few scratches on the crash bars , rear rack but a means to an end . ( took the mirrors / screen off ) but he had brimmed it as got confused with the options … newbie

We did the same in France , tipped it up drained it off , re fuelled fine, few scratches on the crash bars , rear rack but a means to an end . ( took the mirrors / screen off ) but he had brimmed it as got confused with the options … newbie
Next time pull the lines cycle the pump. No need for damage 😃

I would't worry about a litre or two of diesel accidentally pumped into a petrol tank. I'd just brim it with super, ride it 30 miles and brim it again. It won't do much damage and stands less chance of gas dilution of oil than E10 petrol on a cold start. Why do you think most direct injection petrols have much lower oil change intervals these days than non direct injection? (Honda found this out to their cost in the USA after being sued due to their 1500 turbo engines being short lived at the original 10/11K oil change intervals so their answer was to half the recommended oil change intervals). The CAT won't like it much but a few good long runs will clear the system well enough.

I felt such a prat when I filled my Kangoo with petrol in Andorra - luckily with about 1/3 of a tank still in it, I normally carefully run it nearly dry so as to save even ore money @ about 20%.

The answer was to hand it over to my friendly excellent mechanic with about 80€ and all sorted.

But my 'muscle memory' experience might be handy - I'd been doing through Andorra checking out the various prices all the way, all */- 0.96€ - yes, it was years ago! - and got t my favoured Repsol where I normally serve myself, but the bloke came out to do it so I said, "Fill it up with the 95" ands, with a shrug of the shoulders that's just what he did ...

My missus put derv in the lawnmower last week. I nearly wrenched my shoulder trying to start the fucker. Then realised. Drained, cleaned carb, refilled, took plug out and cooked it with blowlamp. It then ran, smoky at first, now fine.

“Why did you use that?” “You told me to”. She was right :(

Back
Top Bottom