Suspension to soft, blowing though travel on potted tarmac...

Morpheus

Reaction score
Hi

So having taken the R150gs out for about 75 miles or so to get rid of last years fuel it occurred to me during the last ride that the bike is blowing through its travel real fast, and the sag seems excessive when I sit on it.

(so much so kicking the side stand up means I have unweight the bike a little)

Now this is just with me on board and I'm quite a portly 20 stone plus currently, figure 23 in riding gear (yeah depression sucks ass - but work in progress)

My years playing with full suspension mountain bikes, and vague and distant memory of a test ride on an R1200 makes me think this aint right...

whats the standard spring set up for weight wise?

I get that there's gonna be all sorts of adjustment for compression and rebound/preload etc (GSA long travel shock) and thats fine, but if the stock spring is too soft then damping will be just a sticking plaster over a gaping wound.

So anyone got recommendations? I've seen some shorter travel lowering springs ... but thats not what i'm after .. more of a long travel (standard gsa) possibly progressive wound coil that can take the weight of moi plus kit on a road/gravel and stay within its central travel range.

currently rough road (broken tarmac and braking bumps) are just uncomfortable, which is surprising for a bike such as the GS, and makes me think off road dirt track would be severely compromised.

Thoughts, ideas suggestions welcome (yes yes I know I gotta loose weight .. obvs, first one to say "have you tried the salad" gets a withering look)

:)
Sarah

I’m a rather gentle 20 stone… running a GSA with ohlIns - not set for my weight.. but it’s like a magic carpet…I have a little preload wound in…

Is you shock just shagged out?

Last edited:
If the bike still has standard shocks and springs they will be getting tired due to age and added to the fact that they set a standard bike up for a 14 stone or so rider it may well be that the shocks are just a little overwhelmed .

When I had my first r1150gs I had the standard shocks rebuilt by ABE with uprated Hyperpro springs and it was much improved ( bike had done 30 odd thousand miles ) , but having since owned a R1200GSA tc and a R1200GSA LC both of which had Maxton shocks made for my weight and use the difference was night and day (and both of those were good handling bikes as standard )

My suggestion would be something like changing the shocks for Hagon , M Tech or similar made to your specification and dare I say it weight or enquiring with T Tech to see if they can rebuild your shocks with uprated springs

Thanks Neil, thats good to know ... the bikes got 75k on her, and though im told these aren't standard shocks it came with (previous owners said the GS had been converted to GSA units..) they may well be of similar vintage.

Certainly one for the job list... along side the oil leak, maybe new cam chain tensioners, bash guard rear rubber bolts, GSA rear rack and full service.

rebuilt or new aftermarket units seem to range from 400 to over grand... any difference between chins, halogen or Mtech?

though im told these aren't standard shocks it came with (previous owners said the GS had been converted to GSA units..) they may well be of similar vintage.

Certainly one for the job list... along side the oil leak, maybe new cam chain tensioners,
Having GSA (ADV) shocks on a standard GS would explain the bike leaning over when on the side stand .. it may also cause both wheels to touch the floor when on the centre stand….. no need to replace both cam chain tensioners (check if you have an upgraded L/H tensioner already fitted by the size of bolt head, 17mm old or 15mm neeer)) also it’s just the L/H side that needs upgrading, not the R/H side as that sits underneath the cylinder and stays full of oil, and doesn’t drain off like the R/H side one which is on top. Also it’s not really that important, I still have the original L/H tensioner on all my used daily and loan bike 1150 models :D

I recent fitted a GSA side stand with large foot plate and its much better... (who ever said size doesn't matter obviously lied)

That extra 1inch or so changes the entire lean angle.. although the side stand spring is rather tired so that too needs replacing .

The centre stand is likely standard GS.. though from photos it does appear to relatively tall compared to some. back wheel is off the ground when on the centre stand .. front wheel is not (bikes front heavy so that makes sense)

Have messaged Mtech

Back
Top Bottom