Testing MRA Next and Android Auto

Mzokk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok so I signed up to a two week free trial of MyRoute App and Navigation next. Weather was good today so I thought I'd give it a workout in comparison with my Zumo XT. I prepared a route using Here maps in my route app and came up with this mostly minor roads with loads of junctions.

My route.jpg

Imported it as a track into Basecamp Did the Direct route conversion thing using 33 points (same number as required by My route app to complete the Journey) The underlying track is visible and a small amount of variation but highly acceptable. (grey bits)

Basecamp.jpg

Both heading in the same direction for the start (good!)

IMG_20230621_102631626_HDR.jpg

I had the bike set up as the hub so phone and headset connected to the bike and connections to the Zumo XT deleted.

First thing I noticed was that the Zumo gives more of a heads up as to what the next junction looks like from further out.

IMG_20230621_111224383_HDR.jpg

Wee bit of work required in relation to imperial units. Miles are yards and so are yards.......easy to fix and both navigating the routes as designed.

IMG_20230621_112547610_HDR.jpg

Another example of the heads up advantage of the Zumo XT also there must be some way on the app of turning off shaping points?

IMG_20230621_114741636.jpg

Lucky to live in such a senic part of the world (not smug at all :) )

IMG_20230621_132549963.jpg

Purposefully missed point 30 on the route and rejoined just before point 31. Garmin headed straight for point 31 and My Route app next tried to get me back once then trundle off properly for the remainder of the route

My Route2.jpg

General observations

1. Both methods of navigation operated flawlessly. A few bits to be tidied on the AA app regarding units
2. I tried spotify along with the app. Its difficult to hear verbal directions because the app does not mute the music when providing directions. The XT does do this.
3. Phone worked fine with the app in operation. Not sure if it mutes or not as I always stop to make/take calls. I think the XT does but again I stop to take make calls, so not sure.
4. Directions work fine over bluetooth AA not necessary if you unplug the phone and stick it in your pocket (very wet weather for example)

5. Seems to be very resource hungry. Took ages for photo app on phone to work when it was running.
6. App seems want to be running before connection to AA (this might be because the CPU on my old motorola G8 power was struggling)
7. Related to above phone got very hot much more so than when running Google maps or Waze. Started with 50% battery when I started the route and the phone ws plugged into the bike. Only 57% after returning home. The route was 3 hours 82 miles ish.

Conclusions

Q would I be happy to swop my Zumo XT or other dedicated GPS to use this app exclusively?
A No the Zumo is more polished does everything AA does and it means my phone has less to do and I already own it.

Q Would I stump up 19 euros PA to use the app as a backup to the Zumo for trips in case the Zumo got broken/went on the Fritz?
A Yes seems to route well and behave as expected. Predicated on having access to Here maps on the App so the Garmin routes would largely match.

Q If I didn't have Garmin GPS devices would I bother purchasing one now that this app is avaliable?
A. Probably not. This would work fine either with AA or with your phone mounted.

The only other question I have with the APP is if the company will be around in X number of years (that said the way garmin are going......) Also hopefully at some stage Google might make it possible to navigate routes created in google MyMaps using google maps if that was the case its likely to wipe out apps like this, OSMand, Calimoto and Kurviger.

Hope this is useful!

That’s a very good summary, thank you.

I will drop you a PM, sometime over the next couple of days.

Richard

I can’t remember now, why I was going to send you a PM.

I can, if you like, make MyRoute aware of the miles displayed as yards problem, using your photograph.

You are right, the app is pretty power hungry. This is something the developers worked on improving. That being said, there were reports that power usage did vary between makes and models. I certainly wouldn’t run the app without having the phone powered by the vehicle or (at a push) connected to a good quality power brick thing.

Can you turn off the waypoint markers in the app? I don’t think so. I am not sure why you’d need to?

Will they be around in a few years? I think so, yes. They seem better set up than other app makers, I’d trust them over say, BMW with their Connect app. As you say, the way Garmin seem to be heading. Setting Garmin’s crazy developments aside, MyRoute was born out of the old and very popular Tyre software, so they have been around a while.

You are right, the app is pretty power hungry. This is something the developers worked on improving. That being said, there were reports that power usage did vary between makes and models. I certainly wouldn’t run the app without having the phone powered by the vehicle or (at a push) connected to a good quality power brick thing.
When you say ‘power hungry’ is this translating into high/overheating of smartphones?

As part of the new version they changed over to using a new version of the Here maps and routing APIs before Here turn the old ones off. I suspect this is mainly responsible for the extra power usage as I’m on the Beta for the new version of Scenic, which has also moved from the old Here maps API to the new one and also suffers excessive battery drain.

Both the MyRoute-App and Scenic developers are working with Here to try and solve the problem.

With the Scenic beta we’ve found that the Quadlock wireless charger is insufficient to keep up with the battery drain the app is using. After 9 hours of riding with the phone on the Quadlock the battery will be down from 100% to 20%. With their previous version which, uses the old Here API, the battery would remain at 100% on the same trip.

I guess that once Here identify the issue the problem will be solved for both MRA and Scenic.

As part of the new version they changed over to using a new version of the Here maps and routing APIs before Here turn the old ones off. I suspect this is mainly responsible for the extra power usage as I’m on the Beta for the new version of Scenic, which has also moved from the old Here maps API to the new one and also suffers excessive battery drain.

Both the MyRoute-App and Scenic developers are working with Here to try and solve the problem.

With the Scenic beta we’ve found that the Quadlock wireless charger is insufficient to keep up with the battery drain the app is using. After 9 hours of riding with the phone on the Quadlock the battery will be down from 100% to 20%. With their previous version which, uses the old Here API, the battery would remain at 100% on the same trip.

I guess that once Here identify the issue the problem will be solved for both MRA and Scenic.
Do you know if the battery charging/drain issue is also affected with the OSM map overlay?

Unfortunately not. I’m using Scenic in preference to MRA as it has great WunderLINQ functionality.

I would guess it does though, as OSM is just an overlay but MRA still uses Here for routing and navigation instructions

I can, if you like, make MyRoute aware of the miles displayed as yards problem, using your photograph.

Can you turn off the waypoint markers in the app? I don’t think so. I am not sure why you’d need to?

Hi Richard yes I'm happy if you share the photos re the imperial measurements oddities.

Regarding the waypoint markers there were 31 of them in my admittededly complicated route and the distance to these is displayed before the distance to the turn. Not really a problem per se but you don't need to see them.

The Honda USB connector for Android Auto supplies up to 2.5 amps and the Motorola G8 power phone which I was using can handle a 3amp charge. As I said battery charge level had only risen 7% in about 3 hrs use and the phone was very warm to the touch. So I'd say that the phone was consuming close to the 2.5amp (15W) output of the Honda USB connector. Other better phones with more powerful/efficent chipsets and ram may consume less?? Also I was using spotify for testing purposes. No doubt not using that would reduce the load on the phone. Never noticed Google maps or Waze being as resource hungry? That said I've only used those apps for short point to point journeys not 3hr stints.

Still nice to have the option of using AA on the Honda screen for "proper" navigation......whatever that is :D

Correction the USB port on the AT only puts out 1.5amps so around 7.5 watts being consumed. Thats what happens when you rely on your memory and not the spec sheet!!

I have posted a comment / question on the MRA forum, referencing the miles to yards mix-up.

I was intouch with them a few days ago about the same problem.
Thay implied this is going to be fixed in there next update 4.0.1 but delayed at the moment dont know how long for though.

Back
Top Bottom