The B500

My first Wappings Wander was to the B500/Schwartzwald (cheers Richard :thumb2 ).

It was October yet even the occasional spell of pissy drizzle we encountered didn't spoil the trip, we had the place to ourselves.

No need to ride like a knob to enjoy it.

Been to / through the Black Forest many times (well 8 or 9) since 2009, and the reduced speed limits seem to increase each year, went last year for the first time since 2018 and was quite shocked how much of it is now 70kph (44mph) on sections where you could ride any bike around the corners way faster in the wet.

TBH even at the national 100kph limit you needed to speed a little to maintain a nice flow, but getting caught at 70 or 80 in a 60 was going to cost you a few quid, doing 80 in a 40 is likely to become a big problem or very expensive, plus you now potentially have a load of other vehicles in the way travelling a lot slower than you compared to say 10 years ago.

We arrived late PM at the Baden end and got a good run down to Pension Williams (about 25 miles along the route) with very little traffic and no plod, I took it steadier than ever but tried to enjoy the tighter bends (on tha assumption the speed traps would be on the straights between the bends) but it really ruins the fun as you acclerate into a bend and brake coming out of it.

As with all poular roads the authorties have a problem with nutters crashing at 120 mph in a 60 limit and think think the answer is to change the limit to 40mph, as if those who were happy to do 60mph over the old limit will now obey the new one??? As we know all this does is ruin it for the 95% of people who are reasonably sensible and ride / drive within their limits and below speeds where you have no chance of reacting if somethign unexpected happens....,

....we could argue what that speed is forever, but IMHO if there were not such high speed crashes and youtube video's of people doing 130+ along that road we could all go there and ride it at a fair pace and maybe up to @80-90 without too much fear of impending jail time.

IIRC around 2010 bike mags promoted the B500 as a "free Nurburgring", which saw it flooded with UK Power Rangers all desperate to post the fastest video / have the highest speed crash, and I suspect not just the crashes, but the complaints from locals being carved up by these kind of riders, or having their weekend peace shattered by noisy bikes being ridden at high speed.

I don’t understand why people are getting upset about a speed limit. Just ride to it, and enjoy the scenery.

I don’t understand why people are getting upset about a speed limit. Just ride to it, and enjoy the scenery.
I do, when sections of the road are more than capable, to carry traffic at a 90-100kmph, yet you are forced to ride/drive at half of that.

Imaging having UK motorway network speed limit reduces to 45mph….

Well if folk don’t like it, don’t go there. I find it a bit dull to ride but I can’t change it so there’s a choice.
ride legally, enjoy the scenery
ride fast, dont bitch when you get a speeding ticket (as I did last year)
dont go

I know this is a thread on the B500, however this has happened to our local racetrack, the A32 between Wickham and Alton.

Years ago it was a National speed limit trunk road, but due to the nuisance of noise and the spate of summer motorcycle accidents it has gradually been reduced bit by bit. Most of it is now 40 mph with average speed cameras on it. They even trialled noise cameras opposite the popular "Loomies" biker friendly cafe in the hope of catching those with loud pipes and heavy throttle hands.

Whilst us locals know of better/safer routes to enjoy in the region, if you are forced to use the A32 it has become bloody tedious and you can almost guarantee that making a cheeky overtake when the opportunity arises will probably be just before a mobile speed trap.

Well if folk don’t like it, don’t go there. I find it a bit dull to ride but I can’t change it so there’s a choice.
ride legally, enjoy the scenery
ride fast, dont bitch when you get a speeding ticket (as I did last year)
dont go
I shall be there next year, but likely to nip across the B500 when no body is looking and enjoy the goat tracks instead.

I know this is a thread on the B500, however this has happened to our local racetrack, the A32 between Wickham and Alton.

Years ago it was a National speed limit trunk road, but due to the nuisance of noise and the spate of summer motorcycle accidents it has gradually been reduced bit by bit. Most of it is now 40 mph with average speed cameras on it. They even trialled noise cameras opposite the popular "Loomies" biker friendly cafe in the hope of catching those with loud pipes and heavy throttle hands.

Whilst us locals know of better/safer routes to enjoy in the region, if you are forced to use the A32 it has become bloody tedious and you can almost guarantee that making a cheeky overtake when the opportunity arises will probably be just before a mobile speed trap.
I was in the area not so long ago. Yes it is a rather dull experience.

exactly my point.... what scenery?
I went through it and honestly there are better roads AND scenery in the Lake District.
Admittedly i went to the black forest straight from Austria, along the alpine roads, so had my fill of amazing views.

I didn't go for the high speeds, but even someone like me who likes to bumble along, your constantly concentrating on the speed limits.
my Garmin was going "ding ding ding" all the way along the B500 reminding me of the speed limit.
I'm no speed demon but 28mph even bores the pants of me.... i certainly wouldn't travel from the UK just for the BF.

I went through it and honestly there are better roads AND scenery in the Lake District.
Admittedly i went to the black forest straight from Austria, along the alpine roads, so had my fill of amazing views.

I didn't go for the high speeds, but even someone like me who likes to bumble along, your constantly concentrating on the speed limits.
my Garmin was going "ding ding ding" all the way along the B500 reminding me of the speed limit.
I'm no speed demon but 28mph even bores the pants of me.... i certainly wouldn't travel from the UK just for the BF.
And there’s a good point.
personally, I wouldn’t just go to the BF just for that area.
I‘d use it passing through to get somewhere else.

It looks alright to me:

8345.jpg

8346.jpg

I rode it and the surrounding areas last year. It was ok, but just ok, there are better roads to be found to the west in Alsace, or if you like big mountains then to the south in the Alps where there are also incredible high altitude gravel roads you can ride all day long 👍

Lovely Wapping - just ride i remember it. Nice little stop at the cute Alpine chalet and some lovely quiet twisties. Then again i am no Rossi and tend to plod along these days……

Back
Top Bottom