The Best & Most Honest KTM Dealer

Premier Bikes in Abingdon are very good and were under the watchful management of Andy Valentine, but he's just retired so no idea who (individual/company) will be stepping in.
Premier Bikes/Triumph Oxford is now being run by Rich Denning who was the former Head of Business at Dick Lovett Motorrad in Bristol

Same staff, in fact more staff than previously when Andy ran the business

As of this weekend they are officially C F Moto Dealers for all those that like they're KTM 790 Adventures with less Racing Ginger :thumby:

AMS at Tewkesbury we’re always good to deal with back when I voted orange (I had 9 KTMs over the years)

AMS at Tewkesbury we’re always good to deal with back when I voted orange (I had 9 KTMs over the years)
That's where I take mine!
No real issues, so can't really give a balanced opinion.
Bike running well which is the main thing.
A warranty claim was finally honoured after I did all the chasing up.
Very happy to take money off you!

For the most part with servicing we are talking of a change of oil / filter and some tyre kicking, which is not hard for anyone to get right and if you did not want to do it yourself any back street car mechanic could do for half the price - just without the computer to plug it into and generate some other costs for "failed" parts you had never notice failed.

On the plus side most of the mechanics will have had some training and lots of experience and should be easily capable of doing most work very well, on the negative side the do it all day long and its "just a job" and not their pride and joy, they could be sloppy / not give a fuck but its still unlikely they would fuck up most stuff.

The biggest fear for me is has the work been done, bought a ZX9R once, had recently had a full service incluing tappets for about £500 (15 years ago so about £15k in todays money taking into account recent inflation) As I had an old work colleague who was a one-man-band motorcycle mechanic I took it to him for a check over - airbox full of crap, maybe never opened - so onto a valve check, he said 100% nobody had ever been in there before.

Overall we don't hear of many bikes going bang, or bits falling off as you leave the dealers (although a mate of mine had a service in the 80s on a new bike and it was dripping oil when he got home, we found the sump plug hanging on by about 2 threads, another mile or two and it could of got ugly!) so overall they will all keep your bike running.

What they tend to struggle with is time, pressure on the workers to do X amount of work per day, when I service my bikes myself I take off the brakes calipers and clean up the discs / pads / pistons, grease evrything up really well, and re-assemble with all but bodywork fasteners tightened up correctly with a torque wrench (having checked the manual to see if the fasteners should be greased or loctited) and I bet a lot of this atttention to detail can get skipped.

Anyway, premier have seemed fine with me for the last 7 years, and I always felt that if I had an issue I could take it up with the guys there, hopefully the new owners won't fuck with things too much!

For the most part with servicing we are talking of a change of oil / filter and some tyre kicking, which is not hard for anyone to get right and if you did not want to do it yourself any back street car mechanic could do for half the price - just without the computer to plug it into and generate some other costs for "failed" parts you had never notice failed.

On the plus side most of the mechanics will have had some training and lots of experience and should be easily capable of doing most work very well, on the negative side the do it all day long and its "just a job" and not their pride and joy, they could be sloppy / not give a fuck but its still unlikely they would fuck up most stuff.

The biggest fear for me is has the work been done, bought a ZX9R once, had recently had a full service incluing tappets for about £500 (15 years ago so about £15k in todays money taking into account recent inflation) As I had an old work colleague who was a one-man-band motorcycle mechanic I took it to him for a check over - airbox full of crap, maybe never opened - so onto a valve check, he said 100% nobody had ever been in there before.

Overall we don't hear of many bikes going bang, or bits falling off as you leave the dealers (although a mate of mine had a service in the 80s on a new bike and it was dripping oil when he got home, we found the sump plug hanging on by about 2 threads, another mile or two and it could of got ugly!) so overall they will all keep your bike running.

What they tend to struggle with is time, pressure on the workers to do X amount of work per day, when I service my bikes myself I take off the brakes calipers and clean up the discs / pads / pistons, grease evrything up really well, and re-assemble with all but bodywork fasteners tightened up correctly with a torque wrench (having checked the manual to see if the fasteners should be greased or loctited) and I bet a lot of this atttention to detail can get skipped.

Anyway, premier have seemed fine with me for the last 7 years, and I always felt that if I had an issue I could take it up with the guys there, hopefully the new owners won't fuck with things too much!
I’m the same, I don’t trust dealership mechanics

This reminds me of my old chainsaw that would start up fine, then cut out after 45 secs.
I dropped it off at the garden machinery shop to sort it out.
On collection it was spotlessly clean, and I was presented with the bill.
I asked what the problem was, and was told "dunno, it was John what done it, and he ain't here".
The bill was then shoved under my snout once more!
I asked for it to be started and run for 1 minute, and predictably it cut out after 30 secs or so.
He then took a screwdriver to the housing and removed the cowl. as he took it off it was clear it hadn't been removed as a pile of sawdust fell out.

It was obvious that he started the thing, found no problem, cleaned it and billed me for £80.

I've been using Jim Aims in Braintree, Essex (KTM/Gas Gas only) since 2017 to service/farkle my 1290 SA-T; it's a 200 mile round trip and I can't fault them at all. The KTM dealers in Kent are :poop:, hence why I ride to Essex.

However....the distance from Worcestershire to Braintree may just be too far and there'll be a good recommendation on here that's closer to you.
I am very close to Braintree and happy to offer a bed for the night if it helps? Bounce will testify to the fact that I am not an axe-wielding maniac.....

I know of a case where my mates bike was taken to a KTM dealer in Norfolk, bike wheeled round to the workshop, a full service carried out and charged for and wheeled back round the front. When he checked his bike dash cam footage a day later it showed that they’d not even touched it! He went back, had a major tantrum in front of a load of potential customers on a Saturday in the showroom at the owner and got his money back! Hence my distrust of main dealers.

• Wow
Reactions: bod
Took my T6 in to the VW main dealer for a cambelt in July, and on collection was handed an advisory quote of £5500 for work they considered needed doing. On the list was discs & pads all round at £1200.
Had new tyres last week at my usual place & asked what he thought 5 months on?
Slight lip on discs and 4mm left on pads was his opinion.
Not an issue for the MOT next month he added.

My mate describes his 1290 as both the best bike he’s ever owned, and the worst he’s ever owned. Last major service, something around 20k his dealer fitted an oil filter that somehow disintegrated ingesting paper into the oil ways. Few miles later one siezed engine. Back to the dealer for a lengthy rebuild. Bike returned, untested with fault codes saying to return to dealer straight away. More time at the dealer and again it’s back. A few rides later more faults and another return. Another rebuild and back again….with faults…..back again etc etc…. Eventually back, a good few rides, starting to regain trust and yet another fault code, this time told to stop, so had to wait recovery. He’s been offered a new old stock bike but they want something like £6k to do that deal ffs….. He‘s deciding what to do, most likely trading his 04 Goldwing for a new one and just go with his 90k mile Tenere until it dies, or something else takes his fancy. But it certainly won’t be orange.
Don’t know where he goes, but it’ll be near MK.
Turns out its Abingdon that just don’t seem to be able to fix my mates 1290 properly, or completely. He’s totally done with anything Orange now, and will only ride his home when it’s supposedly fixed again and then to whichever dealer he trades it for something else.

Triple D at Kendal. Neil the owner is a handy enduro/mx rider who knows his stuff and very honest and straight talking guy. Marie, his good lady, is wheelchair reliant but the most cheerful individual you’ll meet and knows her stuff. Proper people. Book Friday lunchtime service, ride up am and stay in Bowness-on-Windermere for a night or two. Lovely town, nice hotels and restaurants (Porto especially) and good central spot for investigating the Lakes.

Triple D at Kendal. Neil the owner is a handy enduro/mx rider who knows his stuff and very honest and straight talking guy. Marie, his good lady, is wheelchair reliant but the most cheerful individual you’ll meet and knows her stuff. Proper people. Book Friday lunchtime service, ride up am and stay in Bowness-on-Windermere for a night or two. Lovely town, nice hotels and restaurants (Porto especially) and good central spot for investigating the Lakes.

I will second that

I will second that
I have bought KTM luggage and other accessories from Triple D, and they have been very good.
Shame they are so far away for servicing.

Also hear good things about Judd, who aren't that much further than AMS in the opposite direction.

Due to my complete distrust in the majority of main dealers I’m looking for a good and honest KTM dealer to get my 390 Duke serviced at. I know it’s not going to cost a fat lot ( not a problem paying for good service ) but I want to know they’re actually doing the job correctly. I’m based in Worcestershire but don’t mind a drive to get to the right place.
Ta.

Oh, and don’t bother mentioning the dealer in Norfolk either.
Hi, which dealer are you referring to, DB or Lings

I would advise you to not go to the dealer on Rackheath Ind Est. You can if you want to though, I’m sure there are plenty of happy customers. I certainly WONT be one of them.

As Lings have now taken over the KTM dealership have you heard of good or bad things about them

well just bought my new 901 from KTM center in hemel, bought my 990 from them as well, but generally get any servicing I need doing at AMS, get most of my spare from there. If I lived closer then would get everything done by KTM center

Back
Top Bottom