Tomtom rider installation on a GS1200

• Thread starter The Machine Cat
  • Start date

The Machine Cat

I am not happy with the mounts provided with the Tomtom...
Do you know if RAM Mount is working on something ? Did you find a good place to install the Rider on your GS1200 ?

The Machine Cat said:
I am not happy with the mounts provided with the Tomtom...
Do you know if RAM Mount is working on something ? Did you find a good place to install the Rider on your GS1200 ?

The Rider uses a similar ball/joint system to the RAM mounts - all you need to do is buy the right size RAM mount joints to go with the TomTom Ball size.

Can't tell you offhand what size the ball is, as I've not got a RAM mount to compare sizes with - but I know of other people that have already used RAM mounts successfully.

Size does matter!

The TomTom ball is not the same size as the standard RAM ball.

Basically you need to get one of the standard diamon ball connectors - the 2 holes are exactly the same distance apart than apposing holes on the back of the Rider cradle so it fits straight on. Then you need the RAM arm (I got a 3inch one) and you need a RAM ball mount for your bike, mayby the handlebar mount. Look at these pics:

ttr5.jpg

ttr6.jpg

ttr7.jpg

Keba said:
The Rider uses a similar ball/joint system to the RAM mounts - all you need to do is buy the right size RAM mount joints to go with the TomTom Ball size. Ball size does matter!

.. True ! True! .. as the RAM ball system used on bikes is 1" dia B size so part number sequence is *always* .. "RAM-B-xxx".

I have stayed away from this subject for several reasons, "Rider uses a similar ball/joint system to the RAM ".. but my mailbox is growing. Sn1p3r shows a RAM-B-149Z with a diamond base (two hole fixing) to attach on the TT Rider bracket plate/cradle and it will work fine others like all four holes used. The TT Rider look as it has the four hole AMPS hole pattern standard, so a RAM-B-202 base will attach onto these holes in the same way as the Garmin cradles attache for 2610/Quest. The round base *may* be oversize, as the TT version is square-ish shape.

RAM-man

car cradle

Anyone else unbelievably peeved that tomtom can't get their arse into gear and release the car cradle to switch between bike and car!!! Useless is the polite way of putting it and I'll believe the 1st qtr 2006 release update on the website when I see it....rant over :)

TT Rider - RAM mount

To anyone wanting to adapt and as I am aware TT support has been suggesting (or may be relying on) a RAM solution for the various bikes on the market.

RAM will adapt using the diamond base (two hole) fixing just as the images posted by Sn1p3r which attaches on the existing TT Rider bracket plate/cradle.

So for tubular handlebars as on the GS use either a RAM-B-149Z or RAM-B-149 or even RAM-B-149ZA if a shorter arm is needed. Add a RAP-319 for a 1200GS if attaching on to the oval rail above the clocks.

For RT's use a RAM-B-238,RAM-B-201,RAM-B-252 set up

For Migsel speedo bracket with 1" ball post (as mentioned in another thread) use a RAM-B-201-A and RAM-B-238

For interlopers and others with Goldwings, STxxx Pan European and similar then go for a RAM-B-174 set up and attach on to the handlebar/reservoir clamp.

SteveH.. 'the car cradle to switch between bike and car' .. use a RAP-224-1 and RAM-B-238 so you can migrate b'tween bike and car, or just get a RAP-B-166 mount plus the TT Rider cradle.

.. No pics as yet, I shall give links when I have them up.

This may slow my mail box

RAM-man

thanks for the advice

RAM-man said:
To anyone wanting to adapt and as I am aware TT support has been suggesting (or may be relying on) a RAM solution for the various bikes on the market.

RAM will adapt using the diamond base (two hole) fixing just as the images posted by Sn1p3r which attaches on the existing TT Rider bracket plate/cradle.

So for tubular handlebars as on the GS use either a RAM-B-149Z or RAM-B-149 or even RAM-B-149ZA if a shorter arm is needed. Add a RAP-319 for a 1200GS if attaching on to the oval rail above the clocks.

For RT's use a RAM-B-238,RAM-B-201,RAM-B-252 set up

For Migsel speedo bracket with 1" ball post (as mentioned in another thread) use a RAM-B-201-A and RAM-B-238

For interlopers and others with Goldwings, STxxx Pan European and similar then go for a RAM-B-174 set up and attach on to the handlebar/reservoir clamp.

SteveH.. 'the car cradle to switch between bike and car' .. use a RAP-224-1 and RAM-B-238 so you can migrate b'tween bike and car, or just get a RAP-B-166 mount plus the TT Rider cradle.

.. No pics as yet, I shall give links when I have them up.

This may slow my mail box

RAM-man

will check out the car ram option asap

thanks again

steve

TT Rider mount - update

RAM-man said:
I should modify and correct this last bit ..

"The TT Rider looks as it has the four hole AMPS hole pattern standard, so a RAM-B-202 base will attach onto these holes.."

> It does NOT have the AMPS hole pattern so do NOT use RAM-B-202 "as no freaking holes line up" un-quote.

> The simplest method is to use the diamond base (RAM-B-238) which is common to all RAM mount kits (RAM-B-149Z etc..) and picks up on two fix holes as sn1p3r pics show. You *may* need a couple of M3 screws, washer and locking washers, if not in the box.

RAM-man

sn1p3r Handlebar protector

sn1p3r - where did you get that handlebar protector from?

Back
Top Bottom