Used bike warranty?

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive had issues with my SOS system now for sometime and whilst cleaning the bike discovered some loose spokes on the front wheel so decided to book a day off and get it all sorted using the used bike warranty.

My SOS warning light came on October 20 and stayed on. 60 mile journey every day. Permanent orange triangle on dash. Not loss of signal just on from ignition on to ignition off.

I booked bike in at my nearest BMW dealer 25 miles away who stated over the phone that the SOS warning light would likely be in need of a software update. It would require 4 1/2 hrs uninterupted download time. I explained about the spokes and they said the would take a look.

I arrived on the day and was told that the software download was not covered under the BMW used bike warranty?? I explained I had only had the bike 5 mths. But they maintained that it wasn't covered however they would do it free of charge.

I got a phone call a couple of hours later explaining that the bike was hooked up and download was taking place however the bad news was that 75% of the spokes in the front wheel were loose and the wheel would require replacing!! The bike should not be ridden and a new wheel would be required at significant cost plus fitting! This apparently was also not covered by BMWs used bike warranty either??!

They then went on to say that there had been a spoke recall on my year of bike for looses spokes however the recall had already being done. They were unable to tell me which wheel had been done. Due to this it couldn't be replaced under the recall however they would attempt a BMW good will claim.

I ride 60 miles a day commute on dual carriageways and motorways never been near mud let alone off-road.

I rode home massively disappointed and unhappy. On the ride home the SOS warning light came back on. The problem remained. A day wasted.

I contacted the dealer the following morning to let them know and I was then told that because my bike had not been serviced at BMW a good will claim was unlikely.

My bike according to my service book had its pdi at John Clark Adberdeen where I bought it from and has been serviced twice at the correct intervals at Triumph Glasgow and then at 12000 miles in Tamworth and had never been to a BMW dealer. They sold it like that to me.

Having got no where at the dealer I'm now awaiting response from John Clark Adberdeen who have yet to contact me.

I part exchanged my mint condition 15 plate GS adventure in August 20 for this bike. I rode over 500 miles to collect it and bring it back. I have had nothing but problems with it since.

Has anyone else had.used bike warranty issues?

At the moment I can't use the bike and have no loan bike s they stated they didn't have one?

Wow... the risk of buying a GS without service history....

I’d try two things...

The original dealer has sold you an unsafe machine - use all your energy on this message plus liability... it’s a known issue... secondly check the second hand policy from the suppling dealer look at the wording around service history does it state full service history or full bmw service history

Also check the dealer charter ... “117 point check known history blah blah” I successfully used this against a Volvo dealer when they sold me a year old car that i discovered afterwards had been in an accident,
.... ( it started a few weeks after purchase when I found masking tape .... then discovered a drivers seat sticker that had a date newer then the car ... airbags had been deployed) they bought the car back off me

I am not a Lawyer, but my understanding is..
Given you have had the bike 5 months, you shouldn't bother yourself with claiming on the warranty, nor rely on goodwill. I would argue that the bike wasn't fit for purpose at sale and the supplying dealer/garage needs to sort it out. The advice suggesting the bike is not safe to ride 5 months after purchase seems to make it a clear case. If there are faults within the first 6 months, then they are assumed to be present at sale unless the dealer can show the contrary (Consumer Rights Act). 3rd party servicing is only relevant if there is evidence they caused the issues.

The implication is that you are not returning it to the garage who sold it to you. As they didn't sell it to you, they are not obligated by your legal rights .

"the SOS warning light would likely be in need of a software update. " Whilst it may be harsh, this sounds like a complete fob-off. Unless there is a known issue, then why would old software cause an error. I would be on my guard using a garage who made this statement.

edit - choosing to buy a bike 500miles away/return was your choice I'm afraid, not the supplying dealers. I think the issues/cost/inconvenience around returning the bike to them are your own problem legally. However here you can ask for good will. 5 months use before having an unsafe bike is an outrage, they should support you.

Get a clear, unemotional email (or registered post) of the facts to the director of the garage that sold it to you asking they repair immediately.

The law regarding third party servicing and warranties does not apply to motorcycles or vans. Therefore bmw or a dealer can legally refuse to warranty the issues regardless of whether the third party servicing was excellent or non related to the issue.

But..... the selling dealer should have known this and the bike should not have been sold with a used bike warranty if it wasn’t valid. Plus as said it may have had some loose spokes at point of sale. Either way the selling dealer is where you need to go.

As a side note be wary of insurance companies sending your bike to be repaired at their “ approved” repairers. If that is not a bmw dealer your warranty is void. This policy applies to most makes not just bmw.

All very good replies. Thanks

I have now been contacted by the supplying dealer who appear to have a night and day approach to my local one.

All problems can be sorted. Even if a new wheel has been fitted in the past, all BMW parts have a 2 year warranty. They stated if I wanted to swap out of the deal on to another that wouldn't be a problem and they would have my bike back in a heart beat. They will ring me next week once they have the technical details of my bike and what it's had done. Who carried out the servics is not a concern to them.

Sounds positive. Wait and see until next week.

I'm more than happy to travel 500 miles that's not an issue. Obviously covid is. It's an adventure.

That’s a good response from them but what happens if your touring for example and you needed to use your official warranty or lack of ? You would entirely be dependant on the good will of the dealer your recovered too and bmw if it needed parts as legally they have a get out of jail card.

As it stands your only really certain of an acceptable response warranty wise from your supplying dealer

Good news.
Sounds like the supplying dealer with worth the travel.

I actively chose not to buy my bike from the nearest dealer and travelled further to another one. Clearly I won't know how the nearer one would have been, but Bahnstormer were excellent when I had a few minor issues on my bike.

Spoonz's comment is right - the law on warranties allowing third party servicing for cars does NOT apply to bikes. Having said that, Bahnstormer told me that as long as I fitted BMW parts, BMW would honour the warranty.
I was a little nervous when I claimed - I had done all the servicing myself (and I didn't use BMW Oil!). Other than a "not seen this bike much" when booking in, there was no comment and the warranty work was done.

And BMW Motorrad customer services have said take it back to Aberdeen. 500 miles away. So when your error message on your dash says take to your nearest dealer....don't!

All communication with Aberdeen now. All dealers are not the same.

Great news you've got it sorted.
Just interested which 'local' dealer you tried, was it Wolverhampton or Long Eaton?

All very good replies. Thanks

I have now been contacted by the supplying dealer who appear to have a night and day approach to my local one.

All problems can be sorted. Even if a new wheel has been fitted in the past, all BMW parts have a 2 year warranty. They stated if I wanted to swap out of the deal on to another that wouldn't be a problem and they would have my bike back in a heart beat. They will ring me next week once they have the technical details of my bike and what it's had done. Who carried out the servics is not a concern to them.

Sounds positive. Wait and see until next week.

I'm more than happy to travel 500 miles that's not an issue. Obviously covid is. It's an adventure.

I would not ride 500 miles with a front wheel with 75% of the spokes loose....

That could collapse with life changes consequences..... when mine had loose spokes The dealer insisted I did not ride it and organised BMW assist to recover it to them....

That could collapse with life changes consequences..... when mine had loose spokes The dealer insisted I did not ride it and organised BMW assist to recover it to them....

and theres the most pertinent post so far! why the hell would you consider riding a bike 500 miles with faulty wheels!

Yep ... what Twizz says :thumb2

DO NOT under any circumstances continue to ride your bike. If you need to get the bike back to the supplying dealer then I would be calling BMW Assist to get it recovered. BMW Assist can get you in to a replacement vehicle (probably a BMW/Mini car) the hire of which will be picked up as part of the warranty/goodwill claim :thumby:

My bike is safely in my garage until it goes back or new replacement bike is agreed. Work in motion.

Just to update.

John Clark Aberdeen have been nothing but helpful in relation to this matter unlike others.

I decided id had enough of the bike due to continual issues with my 2018. Never had an issue with my 2015.

Clearly my local dealership don't want to assist me so John Clark Adberdeen agreed for me to swap over to a 2019 BMW S1000XR sport SE HP. Being delivered soon.

Time to move on. All I would say is be wary with regards to BMW used bike warranty and not all dealers are the same.

Back
Top Bottom