What's the correct tool?

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Lots of old Brit bikes have inspection covers with slotted heads.

They look like they're intended to take a massive screwdriver... but I've never seen a mechanic with a screwdriver anything like that size.

In the past I've used a 50p coin held in a molegrip, but I'm pretty sure that's a bodge.

So what's the correct tool for these??

Attachments

• 001930-lowbrow_customs_slotted_inspection_cap_-plug_for_triumph_bsa_oem_57-2166_70-8231_40-0715-.jpg
    001930-lowbrow_customs_slotted_inspection_cap_-plug_for_triumph_bsa_oem_57-2166_70-8231_40-0715-.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 204
There isn't a special tool as far as I'm aware

It should only be nipped up finger tight, so a 50 pence piece is good enough :thumb2

A period correct two pence I’d imagine would work a treat.

My Dad had, what he told me was, a Churchill tank screwdriver which was ideal - I don’t know what happened to it! The usual tool is an old penny (1d) gripped in an adjustable spanner if extra leverage is required.

Don't know about the correct tool but there are a couple of proper tools on this forum :D

I’ve also got a set of magneto spanners in my toolbox - one day I’ll find the nut they fit!

I have some old pennies if you want to p.m. me your address :) I'm in N.E. Hampshire so might not even be too far from you?

a drag link socket fits.
I have one from a very old set of sockets (British standard, and whit worth)
also have a load of old Brit coins….. shout if you want some and I can meet you at newlands corner….. free.
sure an old penny, or a half crown would fit….. will test fit on my TR6 to see what fits best.

I had a piece of flat steel strip about 3mm thick. Just ground the end to fit the cap. Use it with an adjustable spanner. Using a big normal screwdriver just chews up the alloy slot.

I’ve just test fitted some old British coins for the slot on my triumph TR6.
best fit is two old pennys put together.
the half crown, thruppenny bit etc were too thin.

if the OP wants a couple of old pennys then I have enough he can have for free.
( if it’s for an old triumph, give me the year and I will see if I have two correct year pennys so that the ages match)

bubb

Back
Top Bottom