wheels are back

malcopopolo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2016 LC NOT adventure that came with spoked wheels in silver. (Mint condition < 10k miles)

On a whim I purchased a pair of alloy wheels minus discs but with very good scorpion 2 tyres.
There was some corrosion behind the disc mounts and a some paint about the size of 10p piece had started to lift.

Decided to have the wheels powder coated gloss black. Acid dipped first then powder coated.
£50 a wheel including refitting tyres. (Not balanced)

The holes for bolts etc are covered with tape so will peel off. Powder coating is so smooth.
Have new bearings to fit along with new Brembo front discs when they arrive from Italy. I have a set of brand new bearings to fit

Have Motoscan and diag adaptor. Need to upgrade to ultimate to program the wheels.

So I will have a spare of spoked wires with virtually new tyres on complete with oem brake discs possibly available in the spring or a these pair of black gloss alloys complete with very good tyres and discs in the spring possibly :D

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 631
  • wheel1.jpg
    wheel1.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 632
  • garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 613
Looks great! I went the same way for a while, but sold a set, and now just got the black powder ones full-time. I think they look great :okay

Have Motoscan and diag adaptor. Need to upgrade to ultimate to program the wheels.

Assume you are talking about the TPS?

If so, the bike can "learn" new sensors provided you fit the new wheels one at a time (someone here posted a really helpful thread on the topic from ADV rider).

I did this with mine and it worked a treat; fit one wheel, ride for a few miles (under 5) and the TPS picks up.
Go back home and repeat with 2nd wheel and the same happens again - job's a goodun :aidan

Assume you are talking about the TPS?

If so, the bike can "learn" new sensors provided you fit the new wheels one at a time (someone here posted a really helpful thread on the topic from ADV rider).

I did this with mine and it worked a treat; fit one wheel, ride for a few miles (under 5) and the TPS picks up.
Go back home and repeat with 2nd wheel and the same happens again - job's a goodun :aidan

Thank you - will try that.:beerjug:

can anyone help.
I have looked at the Haynes manual and the internet but no joy

This fits in between the front wheel bearings. Does is just sit there and is the end clip/washer the correct way round? I have the 2nd clip/washer loose on the bench.

Attachments

• spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 537
does this help
61W0v0aRr6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Cast wheels are the way to go...Ca 1 kg lighter than the spoked ones and no high speed wobble all the way to a indicated 140 mph top-speed on the GPS with bags & topcase where the spoked ones get twitchy :thumb2

Unless you ride off-road...Then the spoked ones are better as in sturdier !

Fitted the bearings and did not have a big enough socket to use as a drift.

So my friend has a lathe. the bearings outside diameter are 47mm so he created this drift which is 46.75mm out of aluminium.

Bearings on freezer for 3 hours prior to fitting. Need to fit discs, abs wheel and take them to be balanced:D

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 442
  • middle.jpg
    middle.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 445
  • last.jpg
    last.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 448
Did the bearing need much to push them in?.. did you heat up the wheel a tad?

we need to see them on the bike... they do look nice and shiny :)

Did the bearing need much to push them in?.. did you heat up the wheel a tad?

we need to see them on the bike... they do look nice and shiny :)

Shiny and smooth. Did not heat up the wheels, just froze the bearings. Took some effort but that is to be expected. Glad i had the home made drift made the job easier.

Will be on the bike in a week or two.

Glad I decided not to touch up or rattle can. Should be very easy to clean given the smooth surface.

Shiny and smooth. Did not heat up the wheels, just froze the bearings. Took some effort but that is to be expected. Glad i had the home made drift made the job easier.

Will be on the bike in a week or two.

Glad I decided not to touch up or rattle can. Should be very easy to clean given the smooth surface.

indeed, that satin stuff they use collects everything.. as you say, these should be a lot easier. I fancy a dary metalic grey, but gloss. but will wait to see yours on the bike first ;)

I hope your brake disks still fit in the correct place. You haven't protected the spots where they touch the rim ...

Ze14Nb8l.jpg

Yes i have, they cover with tinfoil type tape, it was not peeled off but it is now :D

The powder coaters took care of it for me

To make the wheels even easier to keep clean then I would highly recommend applying something like gtecniq C5.

Back
Top Bottom