Wireless charging Smartphone Sat-Nav

stephenkeefe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bit of a long explanation, but I thought I’d ask if anyone else has had this issue and has found a workable solution.

My TomTom rider 550 recently gave up the ghost and so I mounted an SP connect (square type) wireless adaptor on an anti-vibration mount, running TomTom Go navigation software on a Samsung S22 Ultra.
Originally, I had this plugged into a DIN-USB adaptor and the TT nav software worked fine, but the wireless charging was not keeping pace with the power consumption and the phone battery slowly discharged.

Enabling power saving mode and turning off adaptive brightness stabilised things and gave a very slow charge, about 1% per hour, but the screen was now very hard to read in bright conditions
Additionally, plugging anything ese into the spare USB port on the adaptor sent the wireless charge into freefall, and the phone discharged rapidly in use.

OK I though, let’s forget the adaptor, which in any case needs to be free to power gizmos in my tank bag and provide a dedicated power source to the wireless charger.
Now the can-bus system won’t power a wireless charger directly from the cockpit auxiliary connector, so I hooked up the Nippy Norman can-bus adaptor and fed the wireless charger from there.

With this arrangement, the DIN-USB adaptor works fine charging gizmos, but the wireless charger / Samsung phone has the same issues with running the nav and charging.
I’m beginning to think that high end smartphones and wireless chargers might be quite hit and miss, so’s not to be a reliable option, and I’ve not yet tried deleting the wireless element, but wondered if anyone else had come across these issues with a Samsung or similar smartphone.

Possibly back to a dedicated sat-nav?

All info gratefully received.

I had similar issues with my iPhone and TomTom and ended up ditching wireless charging the phone because of it. A static USB cable that I left on the bike most of the time gave me much better results and my phone didn’t overheat on sunny days (which stopped charging it and tanked the battery when it happened)!

most of the wireless chargers are slow chargers and yes using the location finder is combination of GPS and the phone polling the near phone towers to get accurate location, it will use power at a much higher rate than a slow wireless charger can put it back in.
Quadlock is 5-15w depending on what the phone can take. As example s22 is max 15w wireless, and 25w wired the plus and the ultra are both 45w wired. I use s23 ultra with quadlock and a wired connection works fine. I would suspect the wirless charger is not up to the power requirement

Watch it in the rain. I had flames and smoke coming out of my iPhone 12 lightning connector charging cable when I was stuck on the M42.

I have found that my SP Connect wireless charger (latest one) and case does, just about, ok.

I rely on a Zumo XT for proper navigation though. :thumb2

Yep, I'm thinking I'll try and change the battery on my TomTom, they're cheap enough and it doesn't look difficult. I'm told a thinner case might be in the offing for the S22 Ultra. which might help but tbh, I'm not too comfortable with all my eggs in one basket. I can't use the smartphone screen with gloves on and the power draw from a dedicated nav would also seem to be significantly lower. For some odd reason, not need a can-bus adaptor like the wireless charger does.

Back
Top Bottom