R1200gs servicing

paintman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing my own 30,000 service. According to my riders manual I should be able to download maintenance schedules from Motorrad. I have tried but with no success. Can anyone tell me were to get the info I need?

Cheers
John

I am thinking of doing my own 30,000 service. According to my riders manual I should be able to download maintenance schedules from Motorrad. I have tried but with no success. Can anyone tell me were to get the info I need?

Cheers
John

Here's the schedules you are asking for. :thumb2

600, 6000, 12000 mile & annual.

I use them with my bona-fide CD-rom maintenance manual. :augie

1200 GS servicing

know bikers are faster movers but your response to my problem was great!

4 replies to query and DVD arrived before 9 this morning. Many thanks to all especially Terayon.

Cheers
Paintman

Maintenance Schedules.

I cannot thank you guys enough.
I have just taken my 12GS in for its 10K km service - only to be handed it back saying they have done an annual inspection and that it is only due for a service at 20K km.
My instruction book stamp pages does not specify such.

As the bike is running like a pig at the moment -slow throttle response- this will allow me to quote chapter & verse back to the dealer.

We have a phrase in here in Thailand "TiT - This is Thailand" which accounts for the general apathy & malaise when asking for, or, indeed expecting service of a european standard. Even from BMW.

Regards & appreciation
Rhodie
Bangkok

PS just found the paragraph detailing a service [in the little manual] at the first 10K km and every 20K km thereafter.
I knew I had not dreamt up the necessity from the ether.

ok let me get this right, as there seems to be lots of conflicting info on this. Forget the annual service.
So if I was to do 36,000 miles in a year, i would have to do a service at 6k, 12k, 24k and 36k. Not one every 6k miles as I've been led to believe.

I do on average 20,000 miles a year, so all I would do this year is 6k, 12k and annual.

Is this right:confused:

ok let me get this right, as there seems to be lots of conflicting info on this. Forget the annual service.
So if I was to do 36,000 miles in a year, i would have to do a service at 6k, 12k, 24k and 36k. Not one every 6k miles as I've been led to believe.

I do on average 20,000 miles a year, so all I would do this year is 6k, 12k and annual.

I dont think you are correct.

You need at least one service for every 6K so for 36K you need 6K, 12K, 18K, 24K, 30K and 36K. If you did 20,000 miles is a year your would require 6K, 12K and 18K.

I think the annual service is only required if you dont do 6K in a year so then you need the annual service.

I have done 18K in the first year on my 06 R1200GS and have just had the following services 6K, 12K and 18K. No annual service.

Ian

that's what I thought, but seen 2 posts so far saying 10k then 20k then every 20k after that.

Quote from rider's manual under BMW SERVICE "After the first 10,000km and then every further 20,000km (30,000km, 50,000km, 70,000km....) if covered within a year."
Then it talks about annual inspection.
I also have 04, 05 and 06 BMW Service cd/dvd and they have on service schedule.
00 00 122 BMW Service (initially at 10,000 km, then every 20,000 km).

So for what I can gather you have to have a service every 20,000km(english 12,000 miles) but then in between, an inspection. Basically a service every 6,000 miles. Right!!!!!!

If you do 20 k a year then you will need the 6, 12 and 18 k (same as the 6k) services. You won't need an annual. When the bike is 2 years old there are certain things that need to be done in addition to the normal schedules ( every 2 years change the brake fluid on the wheel circuit on servo ABS models, every 4 years change the fluid in the wheel circuit AND control circuit) The gearbox oil needs changing after 24k miles.

Service for high mileage GS

pm me your address, and I'll even supply a copy of the 2006 BMW service dvd as we live in the same county

I know is an old tread, still available that dvd/cd or suggestion for a place to service the bike?? Cheers.

How far do you want to travel.
Ian at bike motorworks in grendon. Near Wellingborough is a good independent mechanic.

that's seems stupid... if it needs an oil change a 6k miles then why can it suddenly stretch to 12k miles between 12 and 24k miles ?

whilst there's no gearbox to cripple the engine oil like a normal bike, it is air cooled which adds lots of strain to the oil.... 6 k mile oil change seems sensible if you ride hard, and 8 k if you drive slow in 20 to 30C temps

4 litres every 6k is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than an engine strip down, new bearings and parts coz u like the sound of 12k intervals

DVD = R1200 Maintenance JVB Productions

It goes through all the servicing in great detail. if your handy with spanners the R1200 Hexhead is easy to service.

Edit here's the link http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Hexhead_R1200_2004-2009.html

Thanks Jersey GS, I build Volvo performance engines for years, still have some tools on the garage and the previous owner left in the top box the full manual (book) for the GS, non-to less Many Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom