My condensed version, whats yours.

Geriatric Germ

Reaction score
Left home (Wales) 0100hrs Friday to Fishguard/Rosslare, left Rosslare 0700hrs to Bewleys, Dublin Airport (Geez that M50 :spitfire Do people really do it 5 days a week :nenau :nenau ) Met the Crowd at 1130 and travelled to Aidens for Snackers, thanks Mandy.:thumb2 Me, I'd have had us meet at the Original Fish and Chips round the corner from you :bow Had a fast and furious run to Ramelton, ate an hour late, but great Grub and Guiness. :beer: :beer: got o bed some 23 hours after leaving home:tears
Went on the Off/On Road run :hide with Aiden and Jockster, knackered my back and split halfway round for a bit of Oirish Tarmac (same as Off Road:thumb ) went back to B&B, Meadow Mill House, great, had an hours Kip, a shower and off to the Shenanagins at The Lodge, great night, stayed S.O.B.E.R. :topic and got to kip around 0200hrs.
Booked to stay over Sunday night, after last years Fiasco :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: but me Sparring Partner, The Big Fella, chickened out so I left for Sligo, Galway, Limerick, Cork, Waterford to Rosslare/Fishguard and Home for 0300hrs Monday .
Needless to say a little tired, but well worth it. :clap :clap
On the way down Sunday just before Limerick is a Brand New stretch of Dual Carriageway, 100km speed limit. Now as most of the exit and entry slipways aren't completed, and very little traffic, I opted to test the top speed of the RT,(indicated over 130 mph :eek: ) but dropped down to around 95 as I caught up with a few cars, when my powers of Forward Observation :cool: spid a cop car, tripod, camera, and two cops up on the n/s embankment :eek: , not sure why but the one cop waved his arm with the palm down signalling 'Slow Down' I think/hope 'cos I just nodded to him and sailed on by.
The data on Slack Alice tells all the technical details of an enjoyable 'Run For My Money' to the beautiful Hills of County Donegal. Thanks again to Aiden and Co. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Attachments

• GPS Ramelton.jpg
    GPS Ramelton.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 343
Good idea Rob, this is mine.

Friday morning 6:30, cuppa in hand changed oil and filter, left home at 7:30
met R2D2 at Horse and Jockey at 9:00 had a fag, headed for Dublin,
after some seriously illegal filtering, met the lads, had a cuppa and muffin.
Jockser arrived with more tossers and we all struck off for Aidans. That was
where I was force fed all of Jocksers sausage rolls, they made me do it. :(
the fact that Mandy put up a great feed for us helped, thanks Mandy.:thumb
Up to Ramelton via the Coast Road which was sytunning,nothing but twists
and bends with fabulous sceney, got to Lennon Lodge dumped the gear in the
room and went down to the bar and lashed into the Guiness, wasn't long I'm
afraid before I hit my limit :eek: , Brilliant evening where I had the distinct
privilage of meeting the notorious Civil :D anda host of other right proper
tossers:thumb2 , some guy kept on shouting "no" in German:confused: best ignored, :augie :D
went to bed at I think, half past four, not a hundred percent sure but I think
Tuned, Dellis and Gunner were still there, dunno. But God did I pay for it the
following day. Following morning the fun began, I did really have a sick
head, Sugarcube brought us out on some of the most scenic and fun parts
of Donegal, where we splashed and slipped and spun dust up for the rest of
a truly memorable day. Thanks Sugarcube, well worth all your efforts. :thumb2 :beerjug:
Headed back to Ramelton for what turned out to be an icy cold shower :eek: ,
anyway, into the bar for a pint and loads of fag-breaks with the very sociable
smokers of the group. The following morning after breakfast went for a
little spin with the Grumpy one, was I glad I had those Twinduros, went on
some brilliant tracks, trails and green lanes, brilliant time. Back to Ramelton
for 1:00 to meet Mr and Mrs Og, Aidan, Mandy and Jockser, said our goodbyes to
Aidan, Mandy and Mr and Mrs Og, Grumpy one, Jockser and meself proceeded to
take the scenic route home. Left Ramelton at 1:30 got home at 10:30, non-stop
zig-zaging small roads all the way down, that Grumpy fella doesn't hang around.:D :D
Brilliant :thumb

Lads, thanks to all concerned for a really brilliant weekend. :D :D :D :D :D

Friday. Up at 0300, depart at 0330 from Maidenhead to Holyhead, about a four hour ride on motorways. On the ferry to Dun Laoghaire and you know the rest from there. Fantastic ride to Ramelton and arrived having completed 553 miles. Stayed at Meadowell B&B with Rob and Ed. Drank Guinness with some UKGSer chaps.
Saturday. Great day off-roading on a 200kg+ bike. Not as hard as I thought and didn’t drop in once although came very close about twenty times. Nearly hit Daimo about six times but managed to wobble around him each time and find a bush to ride into. Drank Guinness with some UKGSer chaps.
Sunday. A day on the beach where I did drop it once in the sand. Apparently you are supposed to go faster? Then headed to Dublin to stay in some sleazy dive before heading to the ferry the next morning.
Monday. Got the 1110 ferry to Holyhead which was delayed by an hour. I wasn’t booked on it, but they let me on anyway. About ten other bikers turned up so I had company for the ferry crossing. You might be surprised but we talked about bikes. Then took the motorway past Birmingham and the back roads from there to home.

Stats:
- About 1200 miles completed by the time I got home
- Off-road skills improved
- Fantastic weather (is it always like that?)
- Roughly four billion brain cells killed off (hopefully I’ve got a few more left for next time)
- Nothing more need be said. Awesome gathering!

….. and that’s my tale!

I ran up with the Dublin group - Great to stretch out the bike a little as I spend far too much time riding in the city. Thanks to Aidan and Mandy for the welcome pit-stop. :clap

Had a hoot on Saturday - Sorry for setting off a few bouts of synchronised sliding on the way :rolleyes: - Seemed to have some issues stopping at times:augie

Managed to bury a rear tyre in the sand at the beach on Sunday, but kept it upright and decided taking photos was the safer option. :rolleyes:

Parted ways with the group after that and headed for the photo rally point at the waterfall at Ardara blindly following the GPS - fantastic ride with some slalom stretches along the coast and hardly any traffic. While taking my photo, 6 other bikes turned up to do the same so ended up there for an hour.
Popped back over to Enniskillen to have a wee tea with my 88-year old Granny - brief moment when I met a Garda bike while on the wrong side of a solid white line on a bend doing 70mph :nono but he seemed cool about it :eek.
Straight and pretty dull run down to Dublin but knackered at that stage. Hats off to the hard-core long distance travellers - I need to build some some more stamina in the saddle (so to speak) - 900 kms covered over the weekend.

Yeah, and thanks again to absolutely everyone - Aidan, Mandy, Sugarcube, Jockser, Tuned and anyone else I don't know the name of yet.

Cheers, dB.

Back
Top Bottom