Fords ride Saturday...please read if you're going

I am interested, never been fording or offroad as yet on the GS, loads of times on other lighter bikes, it all depends on the beer intake on Friday night and if Bob Jefferies can motivate me. First refusal for me then!!

It was less that that at the first one on the Hograost ride last year and Wizard shagged his.

Mind you, that was a 1200, so anything more than a puddle........:augie

P.O.L.O. :dabone

I'll be there..... with filters and oil :augie

Put me down for it

I suppose I'll have to check out the bikes water resistance at some point or another. At least the car journey home won't be as long this time if it does pack up again:rolleyes:

Cheers, Piggers

Thank f*ck for that. I was worried we'd be without the mobile workshop:D

I'll bring some extra oil :thumb2

I'll bring at least 2L (as I do everywhere), possibly 4L.

If anyone coming to Andover in a car has one of those wee foot-square oil drain cans, that might be an idea too. :aidan

Note to self: visit tool shop Thursday morning to replace everything that was broken at Langollen :rolleyes:

Please put me down for the run. There will be three on my bike:augie :augie

Steve

THE ROUTE PLAN

I'm looking forwards to this one :thumb2

FORD 1 Goodworth Clatford
FORD 2 Longparish
FORD 3 Ovington
FORD 4 Titchbourne
FORD 5 Droxford
FORD 6 Exton
FORD 7 East Worldham*
FORD 8 Warnborough 1
FORD 9 Warnborough 2
FORD 10 Mapledurwell1**
FORD 11 Mapledurwell 2**

* East Worldham.......
I think we can ride to the bottom of this one......it's not for the novice as it's a stream that runs down half a mile of byway.
attachment.php

If the plan works, we'll end up at the bottom end of it on a track, then those foolish enough to want to attempt it (Rosie tells me we're going up it:blast ) can do so and the rest can laugh at us.

If the plan doesn't work, or we're anywhere near running out of time, I'll skip it and we'll go straight up to Warnborough 1 and 2, 'cos they're fantastic and easy fords in a nice place.

**The last two, Mapledurwell 1 and 2, I don't know, but they're right on the A30...again, if we've got time we'll do them, but if not we'll head straight back to eat Dave the pig and get drunk :)

Although the route is only 90 odd miles, there area lot of fords to conquer, so I still need to keep the numbers down.

If I've managed to find a second lead rider, we'll have two runs, one going the opposite way around or leaving 30 mins later.......otherwise, I'm going to be asking to keep this one to forders only, rather than lots of spectators as well.
(I'd like to keep the numbers down to less than 18)

If there is a second ride though, spectators will be very welcome as usual (up to the max numbers per ride though ;)

Route attached.

Attachments

• Hog Raost Fords 07.gdb
    79.2 KB · Views: 149
**The last two, Mapledurwell 1 and 2, I don't know, but they're right on the A30...again, if we've got time we'll do them,
Take a look at this (I hope that is the correct post as I can't see photos from work :rolleyes: )

Very slippy and IMO quite dangerous to get into from the A30 for more than a couple of bikes, since you are right on the main road. The first part of the Byway from the A30 is wet and mucky - I don't actually recall a second ford along there, but it may have dried up somewhat the day I rode it?

Take a look at this (I hope that is the correct post as I can't see photos from work :rolleyes: )

Very slippy and IMO quite dangerous to get into from the A30 for more than a couple of bikes, since you are right on the main road. The first part of the Byway from the A30 is wet and mucky - I don't actually recall a second ford along there, but it may have dried up somewhat the day I rode it?

Thanks Clive....I suspect we'll miss that one then (although it's on the actual route home so I might just slow down for a peek ;)

I suspect that in the very unlikely event of being ahead of schedule, there's more than enough fun to be had at Warnborough anyway :thumb2

(although it's on the actual route home so I might just slow down for a peek ;)

For the waypoint - have a look at the garmin db on this post. It should be called SU681527

Assuming you are heading towards Basingstoke on the route home, IIRC about 1/2 mile before the Ford, which is on a short stretch of dual carriageway, on the left there is a small factory or similar with an area of parking that might be suitable for a load of bikes. You could all group there and you and another find the ford and leave the 2nd person as the marker - then if each of the group leave at 30 second intervals and all act as the marker when they reach the ford i.e. there is only ever 2 people at the ford - one crossing and one marking, you'll probably be OK - the Byway is worth doing anyway :)
EDIT: Dunno what you'd do with any non-fording/bywaying types though ;)

Got to agree thats a very iffy turn in to that ford/byway why not approach it from the opposite direction, byway then ford then straight out onto the A30:nenau Bikes could then wait for the others near a turn off closer to Basingstoke

Shep

why not approach it from the opposite direction, byway then ford then straight out onto the A30
I'd like to be there to see that - too slow and they'll never get out of the ford - too fast and they'll be flattened :green gri
mapledurwell1.jpg

I'd like to be there to see that - too slow and they'll never get out of the ford - too fast and they'll be flattened :green gri
mapledurwell1.jpg

Bearing in mind the nature of these rides, I think it's not on this time round...people find it hard enough to follow basic instructions (Slow down or you'll drown it Wiza......DOH!:blast ) so pulling out two by two???? Far too complicated :D

PS Sorry Mark ;)
:hide

If there room I'd like to join in please, if I get too much grief from SWMBO I may have to be just a spectator though :(

You'd be very welcome Bob...and don't worry, I'll be two up through all of them and I'm a pants rider...you'll have no probs :)

Back
Top Bottom