Adventure and R1100GS Tobinators now available to buy

Tobers

Reaction score
I've finally managed to get my web site updated so that the new R1100GS and Adventure Tobinators can be purchased online.

www.stopthebuffeting.com - as if you didn't know.

Cheers

Tobers

I was very lucky to have won one of the first sets of Adventure Tobinators at the Princetown raffle on the 27/9/03 ( thanks for donating them Andy - you're a good man :beerjug: ).

They are now on my bike and they fitted in about 25 minutes with no problems whatsoever. My first initial settings seem perfect, so I'm leaving them as they are! They look like a million dollars on the bike and are top notch pieces of kit -really well made. Although they only look like 2 short windscreen risers, there is far more to them in the actual box. If Tobers is making a profit on these, it can't be much. This is one of the best mods I've made on my bike so far and I can't recommended them enough -just get some & see how good your windscreen can be.

This is what you get in an Adventure kit...

Attachments

• photo 1010.jpg
    photo 1010.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,044
Ta for the nice comments and the pictures. And you join the very exclusive "hole in one" Tobinator club for getting the right setting first time.

Works a treat

Also got a set of tobinators at Princetown (bought, not won, chiz) and damn fine they are too. :D Andy fitted them to my bike and his suggested setting seems about right - I did have a 250 mile ride home to test them out! Reduced the lid buffeting a treat and consequently added about 10mph to my motorway cruising speed :grndevil Also means my next lid purchase is more straight-forward as I can stay with my fav Arai and not worry about finding something quieter.
All 'n' all, highly recommended.
Andy

Cool stuff Andy. Yes, I find that I am cruising at 90-95mph now instead of the previous 75-80. Quite perturbing sometimes.

New advertising slogan - "The Tobinator - The Number One Performance Modification For Your GS"!

You may find that a bit of further "fiddling" will hone your screen's "sweet spot" for you. It's worth spending some adjustment time as once you hit the sweet spot, it all gets soooo much better. Bear in mind that the Adv screen is very sensitive to even small adjustments, so do it gradually. Make a note of which adjustments you make so you can revert if you need to.

Hey Andy, what about my Tobinator stickers????

ie; i've been tobinated etc...

Well, now I have some spare brain capacity after getting the Adventure and R1100GS models sorted out, I have been giving serious thoughts to the sticker situation.

Any ideas for slogans gratefully received. I've thought of...

"Tobinated Bike"
"I've Been Tobinated"
"Make in Britain"
"Tobinator Fitted"

Anyone with fantastic graphic design capability who can knock some designs up is most welcome. As you can see from my avatar, I am somewhat challenged in that capacity (Tobinator designing excepted of course!).

1. I've been Tobinated
2. The Tobinator
3. Tobinators
4. Tobers' Tobinators

Fancy graphics of these four would be a good start.

Tobers,

1150GS bits arrived as promised this morning...yeah! What can I say that hasnt already been said.

Very well made bits of kit.
Fitted in 10 minutes
And they bloody well work.....outstanding!!!! Not far off the "sweet spot" first time. Just a little bit more fiddlin and I am there. Virtually no pressure on me lid, its great! And I also found myself running 10-15mph higher cruising speed without realising it.

Well done that man :D

Verdict on AdventureTobinators

After 1000kms (600miles)

Service and customer support: Superb, Andrew kept me up to date with availability, they were sent bang on time and well packaged.

Product: As well made and finished as anything BMW could turn out.

Effectiveness: 10/10, I'm 1.84m (6ft) and get no buffeting whatsoever, I may add a bigger screen to cut wind noise but to be honest this is not top of my list anymore.

Verdict: If you ain't Tobernated, you ain't got a GS!:beer:

Ta for the recommendation. I'll send you that tenner shortly :)

I'm definitely going to get some small stickers done to fit on the sides of the screen. I've decided to go for "Equipped with Tobinator Technology" - that should baffle most people. I'll put a Union Jack on there as well.

Probably up for a thicko award here but I have an Adventure and would like to order a Tobinator - do I go for the the kit with or without mounts (ie £70 or £89?)

With mounts.

I need to put up a decision flow-chart on my Adventure pages to clarify this I think. The reason I split it into with and without mounts is because some people who have std R1150GSs have bought the Adv screen, but will still have their old std R1150GS mounts tucked away somewhere.

If you've got an unmodified Adv then you'll need the mounts from the std R1150GS to correctly Tobinate your bike. The reason for this is that the Adv screen mounts are removed during the fitting process, and replaced with the std R1150GS mounts onto which the Tobinators then fit.

Cheers

Tobers

1100 Tobinator

This looks pretty good, but if I could just ask a couple of dumb questions about the fitment on an 1100GS that would be great:

Firstly, does this use the standard plastic screen or does a new one come with the kit? The reason I ask is because I thought the standard (smoked/black on mine) is just one unit the surrounds the headlight. So if I buy the kit, will it work with the standard screen or will I have to buy another one to fit?

At the moment I quite like the fact that the standard screen goes around the headlight as it stops the electrics getting exposed to the elements, looking at the pictures it seems that this protection would be lost, is that so?

Looks like a really good idea though.

Cheers.

David

Hi David,

You need to replace the 1100GS screen with an 1150GS screen because the 1100 screen curves in at the sides preventing fitting of the Tobinators. You can also fit a variant of the 1150GS screen, like the MRA, Wunderlich etc. if you want to.

I dont supply any R1150GS screen with the kit, instead leaving it up to your ingenuity to procure one :)

I haven't had any reports of problems caused by electrics being exposed. I dont have an 1100 myself so I rely on others to provide me with feeback and not had any ill effects mentioned to date.

Cheers

Tobers

Hi Paragon,

The Adventure screen remains exactly the same dimensions as standard. It may look like it is pushed out from the pics but this isn't the case. In order to handle the extra width of the Adv screen over the stock screen, the triangular Tobinator "spreaders" are used to make the Adv screen fit properly. It may be these spreaders which make you think the screen is pushed out wider, but this isn't the case.

The Adv Tobinator kit does away with the large plastic screen mounts which come with the Adv bike. Instead, screen mounts from the standard 1150GS are used which are narrower than the Adv mounts, then the Tobinator risers are fitted to those, then the Tobiantor spreaders are fitted to the risers. All in all, the width of that setup is exactly the same as the original Adv mounts.

Hope this answers the question.

Cheers

Tobers

1100 tobinated pics

heres some pics of the 'testbed 1100' fitted with the tobinators.

these are the pre-production set - so not final quality - and only serve to show an 1100 fitted with tobinators AND an 1150 screen

Also i haven't fitted the proper BMW screen 'adaptors' - the black plastic triangles - so the spacers / washers ( semi-temporary )would be replaced by the BMW plastic triangles.

just to re-iterate - these work well - the screen can be adjusted up/ down and forward / back to eliminate buffeting.

You'll notice a black headlight 'eyebrow' on my headlight - this stops internal screen reflections if the screen goes too far forward. ( again semi-temporary )

Attachments

• rhs tobinators sml.jpg
    rhs tobinators sml.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 634

Back
Top Bottom