Travel insurance, check yours

Carol Nash so called repatriation in Europe is a load of waffle.
After a serious accident in Bosnia they put me through to their 3rd party breakdown company who in turn told me it would cost too much so they would pay for 10 days storage and then it was up to me to get the bike home. Great when your in the major trauma unit for 3 weeks. I had phoned before the trip and was told i am covered.
A mate flew over and rode it back for me.
Endsleigh travel insurance on the other hand were fantastic..sorted air ambulance and all paperwork out.
Still recovering from a broken back in 5 places, both femurs smashed,a broken knee, 14 ribs and a punctured lung..
Carol Nash couldn't give a f#@k.
Never never again would i use them. They are not the company they used to be.

As Wapping has alluded to in his reply.

Carol Nash european breakdown service doesn't cover vehicle accidents. It's purely for breakdowns. And seeing as the bike was ridden back then i can't see what they've done wrong.

Sorry to hear about the accident and your awful injuries, hope your recovery goes well.

Reading fireman’s post again, it’s not clear whether his injuries and subsequent extended stay in hospital were caused through a serious accident on his motorcycle at all. For all anyone knows, he was run over strolling across the road or maybe he accidentally fell down the stairs? Similarly, it’s very far from clear as to whether and how his motorcycle was damaged, if at all.

Many ‘repatriation’ (a term most usually applied to human bodies, not vehicles which are most often ‘recovered’) policies limit the cost of ‘recovery’ to a percentage of the vehicle’s value. In short and by way of simple example only, do not expect an insurer to spend £2000 recovering a £1000 vehicle across Europe. Similarly, read the policy. A crash - or for that matter, a theft - is not a mechanical breakdown, though some insurers will try to help out where and if they can.

A personal accident travel policy (subject to terms) will often (but not always) respond to personal injuries - up to and including death - the insured person suffers as a result of an accident on a motorcycle. They do not, as a rule, extend to include the mechanical breakdown of, or damage to, a vehicle, for which you need a European breakdown cover AND a fully comprehensive motor policy.

We regularly hear stories on this site where bods risk not having travel insurance, foolish in the extreme. We also read about bods expecting their mechanical breakdown insurance (or their conventional motor policy) to cover every eventuality and, not least, we also read about bods unwilling (or blankly refusing) to claim under their motor policy “as it will cost me money at next renewal, mate” and trying to ram claims through another insurance policy - where the event is not insured - and then complaining that it’s not paid.

In short:

1. Read and understand what insurance you have bought

2. For decent insurance abroad, you need as a minimum:

a. A suitable fully comprehensive Motor policy

b. A suitable personal accident Travel policy

c. A suitable mechanical breakdown and recovery policy

With those three, read and fully understood - ensuring that they meet YOUR needs (as opposed to some bloke who says on UKGSer that his was well cheap as it were free from his bank but I’ve never claimed, mate) - and you should be reasonably OK. In other words, do some work BEFORE the event, as sure as hell you’ll be doing plenty afterwards, sometimes miles from home and in a hospital bed. Then claim under the correct policy, that is why you bought the policies and paid the premiums in the first place.

I have previously recommended Get Going Insurance, especially for those with pre-existing medical stuff. Sadly their German underwriter Union Reiseversicherung AG from Munich has pulled out of the UK market so they no longer have an underwriter so have stopped issuing new policies. Shame, as I only got a quote a couple of weeks ago.

My new favourite is https://www.coverwise.co.uk/ who sell policies underwritten by Axa. These have no limits relating to riding motorcycles as long as you have a UK licence. Several different levels of cover and you can add activity packs. A bit dearer than Get Going but still reasonable. Decent medical screening online.

They meet MSE's minimum level of cover recommendations.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've rather a long declarable medical history. The Coverwise premium came up very reasonable at £54 for an annual policy

just to add another wrinke, my insurance wont cover me for over 125 if its something I HIRE however if its the vehicle that I own and am using on the trip then there is no issue, comes down to check the fine print

I have previously recommended Get Going Insurance, especially for those with pre-existing medical stuff. Sadly their German underwriter Union Reiseversicherung AG from Munich has pulled out of the UK market so they no longer have an underwriter so have stopped issuing new policies. Shame, as I only got a quote a couple of weeks ago.

My new favourite is https://www.coverwise.co.uk/ who sell policies underwritten by Axa. These have no limits relating to riding motorcycles as long as you have a UK licence. Several different levels of cover and you can add activity packs. A bit dearer than Get Going but still reasonable. Decent medical screening online.

They meet MSE's minimum level of cover recommendations.

Top Man!
Just spent (wasted) 2 hours looking for something suitable and Boom ! sorted in the blink of a mincer
Thanks Wessie

I too have just spent hours looking for Motorcycle Travel Insurance and reading the many posts on this site, some insurance companies that have been previously recommended are now stating that they are no longer taking new policies. The small print is mind blowing when it comes to motorcycling! I rang a solicitor friend for his opinion on some wording and after reading it his advice was 'I don't understand it you need to ring them to clarify' As for the recommendation above 'https://www.coverwise.co.uk. I read it as follows:

Sports and activities covered as standard

Motor Cycling (with UK licence)*. Good I'm covered. but I then I see the asterisk after the brackets. I look at what the asterisk means

'Please note that personal liability and personal accident cover is excluded from sports and activities marked with a * on both the sports and activities covered as standard and those covered if the winter sports premium has been paid.

So does that mean you're covered to ride your motorcycle but not covered for personal liability or personal accident, and what is personal liability or personal accident?

I too have just spent hours looking for Motorcycle Travel Insurance and reading the many posts on this site, some insurance companies that have been previously recommended are now stating that they are no longer taking new policies. The small print is mind blowing when it comes to motorcycling! I rang a solicitor friend for his opinion on some wording and after reading it his advice was 'I don't understand it you need to ring them to clarify' As for the recommendation above 'https://www.coverwise.co.uk. I read it as follows:

Sports and activities covered as standard

Motor Cycling (with UK licence)*. Good I'm covered. but I then I see the asterisk after the brackets. I look at what the asterisk means

'Please note that personal liability and personal accident cover is excluded from sports and activities marked with a * on both the sports and activities covered as standard and those covered if the winter sports premium has been paid.

So does that mean you're covered to ride your motorcycle but not covered for personal liability or personal accident, and what is personal liability or personal accident?

At a guess those liabilities covered by your motorcycle insurance

At a guess those liabilities covered by your motorcycle insurance

When it comes to 'Personal Accident' I would rather KNOW what I'm covered for not just guessing. Normal Motorcycle Insurance is for damage, theft, loss etc. Not medical emergencies etc. Which is why I want travel insurance to cover a medical emergency as a result of riding a 1200cc motorcycle! Just not sure what 'Personal Accident' is not covered means.

When it comes to 'Personal Accident' I would rather KNOW what I'm covered for not just guessing. Normal Motorcycle Insurance is for damage, theft, loss etc. Not medical emergencies etc. Which is why I want travel insurance to cover a medical emergency as a result of riding a 1200cc motorcycle! Just not sure what 'Personal Accident' is not covered means.

If you read your bike policy you will see there is cover for personal liability (third party cover if you injure someone or some property in an accident) and personal accident (if you lose sight, a leg, an arm or snuff it in an accident then you or your beneficiaries will get some cash). The holiday/travel insurance is not going to duplicate cover you have elsewhere.

In basic terms, if you have an accident, the travel insurance will make sure you have the medical treatment if you injure a leg, including repatriation if you cannot ride home. The travel insurance will not pay compensation if you lose the use of the leg. However, you can claim on your bike policy for compensation for that loss of use.

Are you there yet?

If you read your bike policy you will see there is cover for personal liability (third party cover if you injure someone or some property in an accident) and personal accident (if you lose sight, a leg, an arm or snuff it in an accident then you or your beneficiaries will get some cash). The holiday/travel insurance is not going to duplicate cover you have elsewhere.

In basic terms, if you have an accident, the travel insurance will make sure you have the medical treatment if you injure a leg, including repatriation if you cannot ride home. The travel insurance will not pay compensation if you lose the use of the leg. However, you can claim on your bike policy for compensation for that loss of use.

Are you there yet?

Wessie many thanks for taking the time to explain the difference, I think I'm there now, just think the wording could be a little simpler for the uninitiated!

I just used the above link to coverwise, but unfortunately found the maximum age is 65, so I didn't get past the first hurdle in seeking a quote.

Back to the drawing board.

My policy with Holidaysafe (£96 in 2020) expired at end of September, but their online helper told me that I cannot renew at all, because "they are reviewing their business . . . . . ."

Puffin have appeared top of the list from moneymarket comprison. Showing £216 for my wife and I - annual multi-trip - with our minor (?) medical issues (daily tablets).

I just used the above link to coverwise, but unfortunately found the maximum age is 65, so I didn't get past the first hurdle in seeking a quote.

Back to the drawing board.

My policy with Holidaysafe (£96 in 2020) expired at end of September, but their online helper told me that I cannot renew at all, because "they are reviewing their business . . . . . ."

Puffin have appeared top of the list from moneymarket comprison. Showing £216 for my wife and I - annual multi-trip - with our minor (?) medical issues (daily tablets).

Coverwise will cover you up to 76 years if you take out a single trip policy - with my medical history I am finding single trip policies are the way to go, rather than annual

Are you there yet?

Just to confuse things further, my M&S travel policy does provide cover for accidents, as well as the medical insurance. It’s minimal but listed, something like £10000 for death, £5000 for loss of an arm or eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to confuse things further, my M&S travel policy does provide cover for accidents, as well as the medical insurance. It’s minimal but listed, something like £10000 for death, £5000 for loss of an arm or eye.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A few years ago an acquaintance of mine was knocked off his motorcycle by a hit and run drunken driver. He lost a leg in the incident. He had a similar policy, or so he thought. It said that he would be paid something over £50,000 in the event of loss of limbs.
Note the plural. He got nothing from them.
(Drunk driver was traced by police)

A few years ago an acquaintance of mine was knocked off his motorcycle by a hit and run drunken driver. He lost a leg in the incident. He had a similar policy, or so he thought. It said that he would be paid something over £50,000 in the event of loss of limbs.
Note the plural. He got nothing from them.
(Drunk driver was traced by police)

I’m not an expert in this, but I expect that your mate’s road accident would have been dealt with via his motor insurance, not his travel insurance. I was talking about travel insurance. My travel insurance only covers me whilst I’m travelling, not if I’m just generally going about my daily life.

If I have an accident whilst travelling, I’d expect my motor insurance to cover me for the motor accident and any 3rd party liability. If the accident resulted in an injury to me, I’d expect the medical expenses part of the travel insurance to cover any expenses associated with the injury, at least in the first instance, and since it doesn’t exclude paying out for loss of limb etc. as a result of a motor accident I’d expect to be paid at the level indicated in the policy.

I’m not an expert in this, but I expect that your mate’s road accident would have been dealt with via his motor insurance, not his travel insurance. I was talking about travel insurance. My travel insurance only covers me whilst I’m travelling, not if I’m just generally going about my daily life.

If I have an accident whilst travelling, I’d expect my motor insurance to cover me for the motor accident and any 3rd party liability. If the accident resulted in an injury to me, I’d expect the medical expenses part of the travel insurance to cover any expenses associated with the injury, at least in the first instance, and since it doesn’t exclude paying out for loss of limb etc. as a result of a motor accident I’d expect to be paid at the level indicated in the policy.

My acquaintace had, of course, normal insurance, as had the drunk hit and run driver. However he had a separate personal accident policy to cover any accident or illness which prevented him earning a living, and this was the one with the plural in the loss of limbs clause.

There are now several conversations taking place in this thread, all relating to Personal Accident.

A. Most Travel Insurance policies include a section that provides Personal Accident (ie injuries that happen to your body,) whilst you are on holiday. The section will detail the limit(s) and the coverage provided. Read the policy, along with any exclusions or limitations. Everything will be laid out very clearly.

B. You can buy (as Myke Rock’s friend seems to have done) a separate Personal Accident policy for a year’s cover. Again, this policy insures you, should you injure yourself and again, the limits, sums insured and any exclusions will be shown clearly in the policy. Read the policy. This is not Travel Insurance per-se, so it’s a bit of a red herring, at least within the context of the subject of this thread. It does though show the importance of reading and understanding the cover you have bought, before the event happens, rather than afterwards.

C. Motor Insurance does not provide Personal Accident ie injury to your body (first party) but it does cover personal injury you might cause to a third party. That being said, some insurance providers do add a separate Personal Accident policy to a Motor policy, providing cover for personal injury you might suffer whilst riding your motorbike or driving your car. In exactly the same way, some Motor policies have a separate policy bolted onto them by the insurance provider to pay for damage to your personal clothing (for example, your helmet or motorcycling boots) should you damage them in a crash. Again, read the policy, it will be set out very clearly.

When it comes to Personal Accident, you can stack (ie add together) the limits provided under several policies, subject always to the terms and conditions of each policy.

Back
Top Bottom