The weekend - as far as I can remember

Tractorpilot

Reaction score
We left Frankby Services at the top of the M5 about 8.30am little realising how long it would take us to get to Stein, the throbbing, metropolitan capital of Oonyackistan.

The first part of the journey was uneventful until we were approaching Carlisle and the dark clouds gathered over the border. We travelled through an on-bike wash cycle up through Glasgow where I partook of a round of that great game, M8 Car Park Filtering. Fortunately, the bus missed me. Over the Erskine Bridge and up past Loch Lomond in slow mode. Through Crianlarich and on to the Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum. At this point the tractor was running low on go juice so I watched Mutley on his adventure speed off as I pulled over fuel. After a few minutes he reappeared and we stopped for a belated lunch break.

At the stop, Gav appeared. We had half arranged to meet up but it was more by luck than judgement he was at the place when we arrived. He left before we did and pulled over in Fort William to keep an eye out for us little realising that we had decided at random on a different route – the GPS took us over Rannoch Moor, through Glen Coe as expected before leading us on to the Corran Ferry and we by-passed Fort William all together and headed for Mallaig.

DSC00374.jpg

The Corran Ferry

We arrived in Mallaig very pleased with ourselves having made good time and rolled up to get a ticket. Well, that was the plan but the attendant told us we had no chance of getting the last ferry of the day as they were fully booked with people who had been unable to get aboard earlier ferries. No alternative, turn round, back to Fort William and on to the Kyle. At Fort William we stopped for fuel and as we pulled into the petrol station, we were greeted by a cry of :

”TOSSERS!!!!!”

It was Straypuss who didn’t know either of us but felt he was on a safe bet with the call. The girl on the back of the Ducati fuelling up next to him looked very confused.

We all left together for the Kyle but Straypuss dropped back a bit. When we pulled into the Kyle to try and sort out an indicator problem on Mutley’s bike he re-appeared pretty quick.

This little extra excursion was performed on damp roads at speeds appropriate to maintaining ‘progress’. To put it another way, it was one of the highlights of the trip.

We crossed the bridge and decided to head for Port Righ for food as we were running late now. After sausage and chips, we headed on to Stein following Straypuss whose MotoGuzzi displayed some interesting cornering characteristics! Definitely a spectator sport! We arrived in Stein to be greeted by the royal couple who directed us to the campsite and we started setting up tents in the dusk. Once we were all finished we retired to the Stein Inn. We were just starting to realise how tired we were after the ride and the Ceilidh that night was rejected in favour of a couple of pints before passing out. Even the revellers return in the early hours failed to disturb me.
In the morning, we awoke to a blue sky and a beautiful day. A perfect start could only be improved by a great breakfast – which arrived shortly.

DSC00387.jpg

The Campsite with Johnny’s van arriving to start breakfast on the BBQ

DSC00391.jpg

Tash & the Queen Mum waiting for the BBQ to warm up

During the breakfast period, we found one of the locals had dropped in to investigate the camp.

DSC00403.jpg

This wee fellah was (gently) evicted from one of the Wirral contingent’s tents.

So, what to do with the day?
DSC00404.jpg

A group of us decided to go and sample the produce of the local distillery, Taliskers.

On our return, the Waternish Gala was well under way. HRH maintained his royal dignity as he and KayCee participated in the races.
DSC00407.jpg

First the Wellies
DSC00410.jpg

Then the Troos
DSC00411.jpg

Kaycee ran HRH a close second
DSC00412.jpg

But HRH won the day!

After that it was time for a pint and some more b*llsh*t
DSC00419.jpg

Floyd & Pog set the world to rights
DSC00420.jpg

Watton admiring Mrs C’s bike
DSC00421.jpg

At this point the weather did the expected – now who was smart enough to bring the umbrella? - and dumb enough to be out from underneath it taking a picture!

Evening drew in and the Tossers gathered for the evening meal before the ceilidh
DSC00422.jpg

Wirral Wanderers on their best behaviour.

On to the Ceilidh
DSC00428.jpg

Novice tries to ignore Sir James

DSC00433.jpg

A drop of the right stuff.

DSC00434.jpg

Too much excitement for this wee partygoer

DSC00435.jpg

Wully and Gav

DSC00436.jpg

Sir James gives the secret hand signals only understood by the Knights of Oonyackistan

DSC00449.jpg

Di shows Mutley a thing or two about Scottish dancing while Sir James looks on in amazement

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

Tash and Thunder show how its done

DSC00457.jpg

And Novice gets a lesson too

DSC00459.jpg

Straypuss advises HRH not too delve too deeply into that Sporran , predicting dire consequences if the inhabitants are disturbed.

DSC00478.jpg

GC reckoned it was good evening
DSC00479.jpg

So did Skye and her Da

DSC00488.jpg

Steptoe was practicing for a Gurning competition

DSC00487.jpg

Mutley and Whatton planned to enter the team event

DSC00495.jpg

Forry on the dance floor with Mrs G.C.

DSC00523.jpg

The QM takes a break…

DSC00503.jpg

And the party goes on.

But the photo’s run out, at least from this source.

The morning dawned grey and after another cooked breakfast courtesy of Tash and Johnny, the visitors started to drift off for home. I was one of the last to leave about mid-day and after meeting up with Whatton, Steptoe, Forry and Sir James at the Kyle, then passing Thunder and Mrs C at FortWilliam and Gav at Green Welly Stop, Tyndrum I finally made it home 600 miles and nine and a half hours later, tired but very happy after a fantastic weekend!

Good to see you got back in one iece Neil. That ride up really was something to remember, my head is still buzzing now :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom