Hot Airheads - Your PHOTOS please

Snap!

My lightly modified 1976 R90/6

Very interested to understand what's involved in having the later brake calipers like you have on yours. I really thoroughly hate those ATE ones!

Attachments

• IMG_3942.JPG
    IMG_3942.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 439
My lightly modified 1976 R90/6

Very interested to understand what's involved in having the later brake calipers like you have on yours. I really thoroughly hate those ATE ones!

It’s quite an involved conversion, I bought a set of later forks with Brembo calipers.To use the original wheel I had to strip out the hub which is a split two piece design,I then had to machine both mating faces to allow the fitting of the Brembo discs. Rebuild the wheel and then fit the forks etc.
A lot of work but worth it I think,and keeps an original look. If you fancy doing it I can give you more detailed info.

It’s quite an involved conversion, I bought a set of later forks with Brembo calipers.To use the original wheel I had to strip out the hub which is a split two piece design,I then had to machine both mating faces to allow the fitting of the Brembo discs. Rebuild the wheel and then fit the forks etc.
A lot of work but worth it I think,and keeps an original look. If you fancy doing it I can give you more detailed info.

Thanks for the info... Way beyond my ability but you are right. It is a good and appropriate conversion...

You could also look for the later forks to use with a narrow hub wheel as used on police bikes (plus others?) but they are hens teeth rare.
There's also a guy in the US that makes a caliper adaptor for the ATE forks - allows a modern Brembo 4 pot radial caliper and big disc, either single or twin (might need a decent fork brace for the single). A neat and clever way to get modern brakes whilst keeping the standard forks and wheel - but won't look period! I might go this route at some distant point in the future...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1114082135373983

Nicely sorted PD, recently acquired from thoroughly nice chap speedmaster74 of this parish.

Attachments

• 74EA23D5-5422-42E7-B196-EF96C4DEE1A5.jpg
    74EA23D5-5422-42E7-B196-EF96C4DEE1A5.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 350
Nice one, that looks ‘interesting’. What’s it had done?

Engine rebuild - Siebenrock 980 cc kit / Flowed heads / Deep sump pan & guard / Gletter stainless exhaust / Oil cooler repositioned

Gearbox rebuild - Tall 5th gear / Kickstart

Front End - KTM 48mm WP front forks / KTM 21" front wheel / Brembo 4-pot caliper & 310mm disc / Braided line / Fatbars

Rear End - WP Extended adjustable shock / Inverted brake arm

Fairly fresh powder coat / Stainless fasteners throughout / Low pegs / UFO plastics / Touratech twin headlights / Short screen / Suede single seat

It's a very clean, tidy bike........I love it. I've got a few mods planned and as I'm new to airheads I'm really enjoying the learning curve. :)

Engine rebuild - Siebenrock 980 cc kit / Flowed heads / Deep sump pan & guard / Gletter stainless exhaust / Oil cooler repositioned

Gearbox rebuild - Tall 5th gear / Kickstart

Front End - KTM 48mm WP front forks / KTM 21" front wheel / Brembo 4-pot caliper & 310mm disc / Braided line / Fatbars

Rear End - WP Extended adjustable shock / Inverted brake arm

Fairly fresh powder coat / Stainless fasteners throughout / Low pegs / UFO plastics / Touratech twin headlights / Short screen / Suede single seat

It's a very clean, tidy bike........I love it. I've got a few mods planned and as I'm new to airheads I'm really enjoying the learning curve. :)

That looks really nice and purposeful. How long is the rear shock now (eye centre to eye centre)?

That looks really nice and purposeful. How long is the rear shock now (eye centre to eye centre)?

The WP shock itself is 405mm and with extension, the overall length is 500mm.

I have no idea how that compares to OEM shock length on a GS PD........I'd be interested to know.

The WP shock itself is 405mm and with extension, the overall length is 500mm.

I have no idea how that compares to OEM shock length on a GS PD........I'd be interested to know.

IIRC it's 395mm, centre to centre.
I'm pretty sure that SWT added 7mm to the standard length when they built a special with a suspension set similar to yours so 405mm would be about right

IIRC it's 395mm, centre to centre.
I'm pretty sure that SWT added 7mm to the standard length when they built a special with a suspension set similar to yours so 405mm would be about right

Thanks, I'd be interested to see SWT's build. I don't know if my extension is a bit OTT or not. I wondered about the shaft angle etc.

SWT conversions

They have a whole page of them. Be warned, you can waste hours in here...
https://www-swt--sports-de.translat...tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Nearly all have upside down WP forks and most have a r1100/1150 swingarm conversion but a few retain the airhead paralever - all of which seem to incorporate a slightly extended rear shock. The one that specifically states an extension of 7mm is 'SWT-SPORTS BMW R 80 GS conversion MS', which also mentions that work was done on the driveshft universal joints.

They have a whole page of them. Be warned, you can waste hours in here...
https://www-swt--sports-de.translat...tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Nearly all have upside down WP forks and most have a r1100/1150 swingarm conversion but a few retain the airhead paralever - all of which seem to incorporate a slightly extended rear shock. The one that specifically states an extension of 7mm is 'SWT-SPORTS BMW R 80 GS conversion MS', which also mentions that work was done on the driveshft universal joints.

Thanks 🙏

Some old airheads

a few i have.

Attachments

• 04DBC019-5850-439F-A61F-42E6972E2384.jpg
    04DBC019-5850-439F-A61F-42E6972E2384.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 262

Back
Top Bottom