Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in the South West

The one already mentioned is just about the best. Safe parking at the rear and you can sit outside admiring your steed, tied to a rail outside, raring to go again.
https://www.foxtorcafe.com,

Tavistock is a nice ride, worth a visit, weekdays you should find a space in the square but there aren't many bike spaces. You will always find a space somewhere even if you have to use the dedicated car park, it's a nice walk along the river path into the town, 5 minutes away. Quality traditional cafe in the pannier market and you might find some interesting paraphernalia on the stalls.

Then ride back onto the Moor.

Are there good places, that you can recommend for bikers to get refreshed on Exmoor?

Kirsties cafe in North Tawton is ok, not on Exmoor itself but worth a small detour, couple of cafes in Porlock weir if you are on the road from Minehead to Lynton & Lynmouth, good choice of places in Lynmouth as well.

Al.

DevonAl. I'm sure you have ridden it slowly and enjoyed the magnificent view. One of my favorite routes. There is a single track road from Wheddon Cross to Porlock, a slow road but absolutely beautiful with Wales across the water and stunning hillside, sloping contours green and tasty grass to feed the ponies.

I saw an open top buss there last week. I think the ride begins at Lynmouth and then takes in the most beautiful parts of the Moor. I'm going to do it when I have chance. A picnic on the bus, upstairs and looking over the hedges.

Kirsties cafe in North Tawton is ok, not on Exmoor itself but worth a small detour, couple of cafes in Porlock weir if you are on the road from Minehead to Lynton & Lynmouth, good choice of places in Lynmouth as well.

Al.
Is Kristie still there? I understood that she’s no longer running the cafe? Got the impression the cafe had closed, but maybe wrong

Is Kristie still there? I understood that she’s no longer running the cafe? Got the impression the cafe had closed, but maybe wrong

Haven’t been for a while, you may be right. I’ll see if I can find out.

Al.

Udder Farm Shop

This morning myself and Mrs YMFB enjoyed a hearty breakfast at the Udder Farm Shop cafe, we sat outside and enjoyed Dorset air. It can be found South of Shaftesbury on the A30.

Not cheap, even with a Udder Farm Shop card which gives a 20% discount.

Attachments

• C5CA312A-4640-4AD4-88C8-19BAD7AF449D.jpg
    C5CA312A-4640-4AD4-88C8-19BAD7AF449D.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 147
Quick update: Sadly Oscar's Kitchen has ceased trading.

and worst still is the BMW Club have moved the meeting from Shepton to WsM Helicopter Museum. I'm from WsM, so I can moan, the museum is colder than a crypt and the food limited to whatever's in the fridge! I asked for a bacon roll... 'No mate, it's not in the fridge, can do you some (stale) lasagne or chips'... WTF

I can still recommend The Egg Cup on the West Bay to Weymouth coast road, near Swyre :)

Will be riding towards Linton from Ilminster, looking for a nice cafe, Farm shop, garden centre sort of place, possibly nr Tiverton, preferably not in the town.

Ideas gratefully received.

We recently stayed in Barley meadow campsite just off the A30, near Crockernwell. Oinkers farm shop and cafe is close by. Great breakfast in there. Judging by the number of bikes passing in the mornings it’s a popular road, not the A30.

Back
Top Bottom