BMW clutch cost?

I charge £400 in labour for the job. Plus whatever parts you want fitted. I'm more expensive that some but I spend two full days doing it.
I also recommend changing the engine seals whilst in there. And I won't fit Chinese parts and dodgy seals.

There are ways to short-cut a clutch job and do it in half the time (and half the labour) that I do it in.

But I won't do it unless I do it my way (Which is the way BMW say to do it).. I'll remove your final drive, shaft and swingarm. I thoroughly check, clean and re-grease everything properly re-torque and align everything as it goes back together. And 8/10 times I find things that need attention that would be missed with the short cuts. Another reason I don't like the other method is that It can rag on loom connections, stretch wires and can break things if you're not really careful and know exactly what you're doing.

I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just not the way BMW would want you to do it (They're not always right though). It's more that it's not the the way I like doing things. But usually people just want the fastest and cheapest method. And they're generally not people I like working for. :p

FYI. When I was still working for a BMW Main dealer a couple of years ago, a clutch job would usually be about £1200 all in for an 1150 or a 1200 Hexhead.

I payed £1200 to an independent.charged me for fitting parts loosely then charged again for torquing them up rather than torque them when fitting .plus various other charges .on top of a gearbox rebuild by mikeyboy..

I payed £1200 to an independent.charged me for fitting parts loosely then charged again for torquing them up rather than torque them when fitting .plus various other charges .on top of a gearbox rebuild by mikeyboy..

Did they wear Stetsons and have spurs on their boots ?

That's main dealer prices. Although most main dealers won't take the job on. They've rather fill their books with £200 quid services which take 45 mins. And their "warranty fitters" wouldn't have a clue where to start anyway.

Did they wear Stetsons and have spurs on their boots ?

That's main dealer prices. Although most main dealers won't take the job on. They've rather fill their books with £200 quid services which take 45 mins. And their "warranty fitters" wouldn't have a clue where to start anyway.

the cost of parts was £300 rest was faffing I reckon surely you wouldnt charge someone to remove /replace gearbox etc twice and then charge them once to fit parts then again to tighten them up ..? ..certainly wont be using or recommending the person to anyone ..

Clutch replacement on 1100/1150 models £680 parts and labour, using genuine BMW parts.., a bit more if it’s an RT. …

How did you get over charged?

Did you not think to check here first

I did check roughly how much ..he qouted £400 + parts they came to about £300 .. but he didnt quote that he'd charge me to reassemble the bike and take his time and charge me once to loosely fit the parts back on then again charge me to tighten them up ..

I did check roughly how much ..he qouted £400 + parts they came to about £300 .. but he didnt quote that he'd charge me to reassemble the bike and take his time and charge me once to loosely fit the parts back on then again charge me to tighten them up ..

I’m sorry but I just don’t get this! :blast Someone should quote for a complete job. End of.

yep and he gave me discount.. :green gri so it wouldve been more

When was this done ?

You're within your rights to ask for an itemised bill if it's a proper business.

And you could question that bill. In small claims court if need be.

Did you not argue or question this methodology ?

Was it a proper established business or a man in a shed for cash ?

Nothing wrong with either as long as the work is being done correctly and you're being charged correctly.

If your claims are accurate, then it sounds like you've been scammed. Or he's got something wrong and had to go back in to fix it. And then made up some blag excuse so he can charge you for doing it.

Things can go wrong in big jobs no matter how good the mechanic and no matter how good the parts or tooling. Sometimes shit just happens. But it's not the customers responsibility to pay for that unless they specifically asked for a shortcut or lower quality parts to be used which increased that risk (which were recommended against).

There is no process of a clutch job where you have to re-torque after assembly. You torque ON assembly.

Another scenario here is that the job took him WAY longer than he expected (usual if you're not a BMW man), and he just charged you what he probably should have for the time taken.

When was this done ?

You're within your rights to ask for an itemised bill if it's a proper business.

And you could question that bill. In small claims court if need be.

Did you not argue or question this methodology ?

Was it a proper established business or a man in a shed for cash ?

Nothing wrong with either as long as the work is being done correctly and you're being charged correctly.

If your claims are accurate, then it sounds like you've been scammed. Or he's got something wrong and had to go back in to fix it. And then made up some blag excuse so he can charge you for doing it.

Things can go wrong in big jobs no matter how good the mechanic and no matter how good the parts or tooling. Sometimes shit just happens. But it's not the customers responsibility to pay for that unless they specifically asked for a shortcut or lower quality parts to be used which increased that risk (which were recommended against).

There is no process of a clutch job where you have to re-torque after assembly. You torque ON assembly.

Another scenario here is that the job took him WAY longer than he expected (usual if you're not a BMW man), and he just charged you what he probably should have for the time taken.

Was a couple of months ago now ..I had asked him to remove gearbox to send it away to get rebuilt an while it was in half may as well fit a new clutch plate etc ..the diaphragm spring was out of spec so got a good used one from motorworks new bolts n friction plate ,as it was also stripped got subframe powder coated..I have the job sheet and looks like he had faffed about alot with things rather than jus do the job at hand...hey ho live n learn .lick my wounds n move on ,won't be using him again..if I'd room n tools Idve got my mate to give me a hand as he's done car gearbox/clutch removal so not much different to the GS...onwards n upwards ..got it back n done about 400 miles n running good now ..

This clown that did the work needs naming and shaming purely to stop someone else getting shafted!

This clown that did the work needs naming and shaming purely to stop someone else getting shafted!

Ouch!………

But then again, in balance and fairness, there are always two sides to an argument, we’re only hearing one……..:nenau

Back
Top Bottom