BMW clutch cost?

BMW Clutch

I was charged £740 by Park Lane BMW at Battersea to change the clutch on my 1150gs.

I believe a certain St Eptoe of this Parish [ Larhhnndahn] does a reasonably priced job on these fine vehicles my good man :thumb2
I also believe he has loan bikes so you could do some shopping in that there Larnnndahhn whilst he fixes it:augie

Purely out of interest, how much do BMW charge to replace a clutch.. does anyone know? :)

Hmmmmmm ...

A moving target.

The clutch kit costs upwards of £250.

And it's reckoned to take 8 hours according the BMW manual.

And I'm sure that dealers will find other little 'issues' once they have the bike in bits so upwards of £1000 might not be too unusual.

Clutch for an 1150 GS ??

I charge for a whole/complete clutch unit (NOT just the friction plate) supplied and fitted , parts and labour £450

Very kind offers but am doing it meself for a mate, just charging for parts, cos the experience is priceless if I have to do my own in a hurry in the future:D (Me bike is my only means of transport at the moment). I was just interested how much he was saving. So far so good, I've stripped it all down and can see that the plates are fecked. I've a good idea what I'm doing, since I've done a lot of cars before and I've got the manual.:)

My 1150gs adventure has just passed the 42k mile mark and the clutch is only biting when the lever is almost completely released - might this mean that the clutch need replacing ?

I know it's a case of "how long is a piece of string ?" but as I am resigned to having to fork out £800 any thoughts would be appreciated

worth checking the fluid level in the reservoir, it rises as the clutch wears, it may be overfull, my original clutch lasted 80k

My 1150gs adventure has just passed the 42k mile mark and the clutch is only biting when the lever is almost completely released - might this mean that the clutch need replacing ?

I know it's a case of "how long is a piece of string ?" but as I am resigned to having to fork out £800 any thoughts would be appreciated

not knowing your bike it might be but both my 1150s are the same as yours,one done 22,000 the other 61,000

I charge £400 in labour for the job. Plus whatever parts you want fitted. I'm more expensive that some but I spend two full days doing it.
I also recommend changing the engine seals whilst in there. And I won't fit Chinese parts and dodgy seals.

There are ways to short-cut a clutch job and do it in half the time (and half the labour) that I do it in.

But I won't do it unless I do it my way (Which is the way BMW say to do it).. I'll remove your final drive, shaft and swingarm. I thoroughly check, clean and re-grease everything properly re-torque and align everything as it goes back together. And 8/10 times I find things that need attention that would be missed with the short cuts. Another reason I don't like the other method is that It can rag on loom connections, stretch wires and can break things if you're not really careful and know exactly what you're doing.

I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just not the way BMW would want you to do it (They're not always right though). It's more that it's not the the way I like doing things. But usually people just want the fastest and cheapest method. And they're generally not people I like working for. :p

FYI. When I was still working for a BMW Main dealer a couple of years ago, a clutch job would usually be about £1200 all in for an 1150 or a 1200 Hexhead.

Back
Top Bottom