A tale of a 2004 R1200GS (Morocco Trip Report)

Great write up and gives me a bit more inspiration - if I needed any! - of doing Morocco next year! Have to say that its the first time I've seen TKCs on alloys - in hindsight, and apart from the sandy bits, I wonder if the TKCs were necessary in the weather?

We've had quite a few bikes with TKC's on alloys, and no problems so far.:nono

Ultimately alloys aren't meant to be as strong as spoked wheels (though I don't know of anyone who has wrecked a cast alloy GS wheel yet) but the spoked wheels are certainly easier to true, mend in the field (think heat and big hammer) and generally look more fit for purpose than the mags.

And yes, the TKC's were necessary for this trip, although someone on Tourances could have done it with a bit of skill and determination (And a whole lot of spinning up on the ascents up the Telouet loop piste and Tizi'N Tazanakt)

We were also right on the cusp of a serious season change- we rode above the snow line on the last day and we had a day of rain as well- Because it was very heavy and we'd done a heavy and tiring day immediately before, we ended up taking the guys out in the Land Rover for the day but the pistes we did in it wouldn't have been feasible on Tourances.

The minimum level of tyre knobblieness we'll take on a level 1 trip is Heidenau K60's, and for the Level 2 trip it has to be TKC 80's or better. :)

n hindsight, and apart from the sandy bits, I wonder if the TKCs were necessary in the weather?

Both the TKC's and engine bars were quite last minute final decisions... (I was going to go Heidenau K60's, but the shop fouled it up)

I fell off in Norway on a very easy bit of road... washed out the front wheel by locking up my brakes after turning off the ABS due to.... being scared...

I did great on the WOBMW course, but it wasn't my bike, and it was on TKC's....

I put the bars and was glad to go TKC for exactly that reason... less mind games, more fun...

I think it worked...

Al...

Here's a little something else...

The link takes you to a directory where you will find a kmz file...

http://home.wanadoo.nl/ara__/travel/

I has my total track separated by days... includes some pictures

Google Earth will open it (slowly as it's big)... then over in My Places/temporary places... will be
all the data...

Expanding the Waypoints item under MapSource will show you each of my
overnight stops... double clicking on one will zoom in the map to that place

Path in Tracks will show you each days ride... double clicking will fill the
screen with just that days ride... I've color coded the tracks.. bluey is
mostly easy asphault days... reddy is mostly rough - surfaced road

Then down under Morocco Images item, will be a bunch of smallish images,
linked to the location I took them...

It's hosted on my ISP website... which is volume limited, so depending on how many people are curious.... we'll see how long it stays up... =)

Al...

Here's a little something else...

The link takes you to a directory where you will find a kmz file...

http://home.wanadoo.nl/ara__/travel/

I has my total track separated by days... includes some pictures

Google Earth will open it (slowly as it's big)... then over in My Places/temporary places... will be
all the data...

Expanding the Waypoints item under MapSource will show you each of my
overnight stops... double clicking on one will zoom in the map to that place

Path in Tracks will show you each days ride... double clicking will fill the
screen with just that days ride... I've color coded the tracks.. bluey is
mostly easy asphault days... reddy is mostly rough - surfaced road

Then down under Morocco Images item, will be a bunch of smallish images,
linked to the location I took them...

It's hosted on my ISP website... which is volume limited, so depending on how many people are curious.... we'll see how long it stays up... =)

Al...
Just had a look - that's great! Thanks for putting that up. :thumb2

Ahh... you must be the guy who ate a rear TKC in one week in September???

I've seen your work.... :D

Al...

Ahh... you must be the guy who ate a rear TKC in one week in September???

I've seen your work.... :D

Al...

Ate it, chewed it up and spat it out :D

:bow

234103914-M.jpg

A good report there Al. :clap:clap

Like several others here I find my interest in riding in Morocco on the increase. :)

Fanum rockplay movie

Here's a link (Smugmug doesn't allow embedded video yet as far as I know) To my Video of Bill playing around on that rock in Morocco.

Al...

Back
Top Bottom